Daily walk

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Daily walk

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Had a walk through Attenborough village earlier & found the grave of one Leon Leuty ( who I hear you shouting at your pc :D ) Leon known as Harry was a professional footballer with Derby County, Bradford PA & Notts County he died aged 35 of leukaemia whilst captain of County.

Have you anything to tell us from your walks ?
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Daily walk

Post by johnh »

Leon Leuty won an FA Cup medal playing for Derby County. It is a name I recognise from post-war football.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Not heard of him but so young, life can be cruel.

Funnily enough had a walk which took us through the local cemetery earlier today and as you do I often read the grave stones and it never ceases to shock when you see the number of younger people in there.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote:Not heard of him but so young
Neither had i hence a quick Google search. Just as an aside the local reserve Attenborough NR was opened by David Attenborough who spent some time living in the village.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:Not heard of him but so young, life can be cruel.

Funnily enough had a walk which took us through the local cemetery earlier today and as you do I often read the grave stones and it never ceases to shock when you see the number of younger people in there.
My parents are buried in the same grave. Dad was 93 Mum was 88. The grave on one side is a baby of 18 months and on the other side a little girl of 5. Always chokes me up.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

I walk past a tenth century round tower when I go for a daily stroll. https://discovernorthernireland.com/thi ... er-p674961 So much history that gets walked passed without a thought every day.

All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

johnh wrote:
Selby White wrote:Not heard of him but so young, life can be cruel.

My parents are buried in the same grave. Dad was 93 Mum was 88. The grave on one side is a baby of 18 months and on the other side a little girl of 5. Always chokes me up.
Posting this just reminded me. I had to travel up to Hebden Bridge for my Mum's funeral. My sister, who lives in Hebden Bridge had loads of family members staying with her so I said I would book in a hotel. The morning of the funeral I was sitting alone, having breakfast in the hotel. There was a middle-aged couple at the next table and the lady was very outgoing and talkative. Half-way through breakfast I happened to catch her eye and she quickly introduced herself and her husband and said 'what exciting things have you got planned for today'. All I could say was 'I'm up for my mothers funeral'. There wasn't another word spoken in the dining room.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Spring had sprung today.

LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Spring had sprung today.

Lovely that, i love this time of year when everything is bursting into life.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Davycc wrote:I walk past a tenth century round tower when I go for a daily stroll. https://discovernorthernireland.com/thi ... er-p674961 So much history that gets walked passed without a thought every day.
Love Towers Davy. Irelands a great place to see them. Great to see the conical top is still in place on your Antrim tower.

One I love in the heart of my home city Kilkenny: https://visitkilkenny.ie/members/st-canices-cathedral/

Built 1285, one of only 2 towers in the country that you can climb. 100ft high, 15ft at the base, 11ft at the top. During excavation works, they discovered that the foundation is only 0.6m deep!!

"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay