School Rivalries

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: School Rivalries

Post by Saxon »

1950's, early 60's, growing up and going to school in Leeds,I do not remember anybody else supporting another football team besides Leeds.
I would say Leeds Rugby league had as many supporters as Leeds United.
Leeds were the most unfashionable club in the country in those days, for all their efforts and even the great John Charles, we just didn't cut it with the general public.Wolves under Stan Cullis with Billy Wright and Ron Flowers, Busby Babes, Spurs push and run under Bill Nicholson, Newcastle's epic FA Cup runs, that was what grabbed the public's attention and established large fan bases.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Growing up in Ireland, the split was always going to be wherever there was a large concentration of Irish emigrants.

Therefore, mostly manure and Liverpool.
A small scattering of older Villa and citeh fans.
Probably too many teams in London for any one to stand out as Irish supported.

And 1 Leeds :D
My Grandfather was Leeds, as was my Dad, so I followed suit.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

I grew up in Wakefield and pretty much all my mates at school supported Leeds United with the very odd exception of a Liverpool, Manchester United, Sheffield United and Huddersfield Town fan. When we moved to Cheshire after my dad got a job at Rolls Royce in Crewe in 1979 it wasn't much fun being the new boy at a new school among only a sprinkling of Leeds fans now. I remember a lot of fans of Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Stoke (probably the nearest 1st division team to Crewe at that time) and Crewe Alex of course. I did over time get to know a few more Leeds fans in the town and joined the West Midlands branch of our supporters club after leaving school (There was no Cheshire branch then). The coach used to pick us up near Crewe station en route to Elland Rd and there was always a fair turnout when I was going regularly around 83 -84. I remember all my days there with fondness though it was much better when I came back to live in West Yorkshire in 1989.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Saxon wrote:1950's, early 60's, growing up and going to school in Leeds,I do not remember anybody else supporting another football team besides Leeds.
I would say Leeds Rugby league had as many supporters as Leeds United.
Leeds were the most unfashionable club in the country in those days, for all their efforts and even the great John Charles, we just didn't cut it with the general public.Wolves under Stan Cullis with Billy Wright and Ron Flowers, Busby Babes, Spurs push and run under Bill Nicholson, Newcastle's epic FA Cup runs, that was what grabbed the public's attention and established large fan bases.
Leeds were mainly a division 2 side in the 1950's. John Charles went to Italy in 1957. I would say that Leeds average attendance for home games was between 15,000 and 18,000. I always remember that shortly after Don Revie became Leeds manager, there was an article in the Yorkshire Post where he was quoted as saying that the minimum attendance required at Leeds was 20,000 and that was 'break-even'. Leeds were getting less than that at the time.
Think its a bit harsh to say that Leeds were the most unfashionable club in the country. I think that honour went to Plymouth Argyle - and still does! :lol:
I once played against Don Revie.