School Rivalries

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

School Rivalries

Post by Selby White »

What was the split of teams when you were at School ?

Strangely back in the late 60's & & 70's when I was there we didn't have any Man City, Chelsea, Spurs or even Liverpool fans that I can recall unlike today when you see young kids wearing the shirts everywhere.

For some reason we had a sprinkling 2 or 3 Arsenal fans but in the main our school was split down the middle with Leeds and Man Utd providing a very healthy rivalry (hatred of each other).

A few surprise additions was one Celtic fan who to his credit always wore his Green hoops for games lessons. Others included one Sheff Wed, one Sheff Utd (he moved from Sheffield to Selby so fair enough) and believe it or not a Brighton fan.

So what about your school ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: School Rivalries

Post by Sniffer »

No idea. But then, in the South-West, we played rugby (the 15 man version). Then again Bristol City currently use the school's playing fields as their training ground.
In the village I grew up it in the 70s was pretty much Liverpool/Arsenal/Man U/Leeds. Me being the sole Leeds supporter.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

We were mainly Leeds but there was several Scum as well it used to kick off at the local dance hall whenever the 2 teams played. My neighbour was a Sunderland fan, lad who’s parents ran my local was Spurs, in fact he moved to London in the early 70’s to be nearer to his team. He’s still a season a season ticket holder today. There was also a Norwich City fan to this day I don’t know why :roll: A new lad came to our school in my last year who was a fanatical Widnes RL fan now that was alien to us as no one knew owt about Rugby League.
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

In my schooldays in Liverpool, when you went out into the playground at break, there would be a football game in progress. About 30 or 40 a side with an old tennis ball. You just asked 'which way are Everton kicking' (or Liverpool) and joined in. No other teams ever got a mention. The school wall was one goal and the brick air-raid shelter was the other. If you were lucky, you might get three or four kicks before the whistle went. Didn't matter as long as 'Everton' won! (1947 - 1951)
I once played against Don Revie.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

You were either Leeds or Liverpool, we even had a Norwich fan at our school.

Manure or any of the London sides did not exist when I was a wee young lad.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Leeds & Man Utd in the main (prob 60% Leeds).

Mainly those who knew naff all about football supported that lot gave them a break from train spotting.
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

Going to school in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, there were plenty of Villa and Birmingham fans. I was one of 3 Leeds fans, only 1 scum fan to my knowledge. A very good mate of mine switched from West Brom to Citeh, as that was allowed when you were eight. He now lives in LA and still follows them to this day.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

It was mostly scum, Liverpool and Arsenal. I was the only Leeds supporter during secondary school 74-79 It was pretty hard going at times :D
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

In west London in the mid-60's onwards it was very much south of Watford, so I stuck out like a sore thumb after converting from Tigers (parents; 3rd/4th division then). Plenty of Chelsea, Fulham and QPR obviously, but a number of Spurs fans as a result of the Jewish boys.

I recall a typical comment about the 1969 final "No southern clubs, so it's not very interesting, is it?"
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

Growing up in Glasgow, school was largely divided down a Rangers / Celtic divide, so, as a supporter of Partick Thistle Nil, I was largely ignored in any football discussions, which was not necessarily a bad thing. :think: