Dilemma

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Dilemma

Post by Davycc »

Lets say you have applied for two jobs. You're role at your current employer is at risk.
You have been interviewed for both and feel you did well in both interviews. You hear from one company quickly, a small business, offering you the job and to meet up in a few days to discuss in depth. It's your second choice. You feel you may get offered the job you prefer but it's with a large public sector operator and you know it will take a while to hear from them. Do you:

A. Give your 4 weeks notice from your current role and take the job knowing you may not actually be taking the position if successful with the other.
B. Inform them at the next discussion that you are waiting for the outcome of another interview in which you may not be successful.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Dilemma

Post by johnh »

Davycc wrote:Lets say you have applied for two jobs.
You have been interviewed for both and feel you did well in both interviews. You hear from one company quickly, a small business, offering you the job and to meet up in a few days to discuss in depth. It's your second choice. You feel you may get offered the job you prefer but it's with a large public sector operator and you know it will take a while to hear from them. Do you:

A. Give your 4 weeks notice from your current role and take the job knowing you may not actually be taking the position if successful with the other.
B. Inform them at the next discussion that you are waiting for the outcome of another interview in which you may not be successful.
If you were unemployed, my advice would be to take the first job. A bird in the hand etc., However, if you are already in work then you can risk turning the first offer down on the basis you will get the second offer. If it doesn't work out then you still have a job. Taking a job with a small business is OK if the alternative is unemployment but what opportunities exist for future job development? Is it a family run small business? In which case any promotions are likely to go to family members. If it was me, I would hold out to see if the preferred option comes good. Therefore, questions A and B are not relevant.
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

johnh wrote:
Davycc wrote:Lets say you have applied for two jobs.

If you were unemployed, my advice would be to take the first job. A bird in the hand etc., However, if you are already in work then you can risk turning the first offer down on the basis you will get the second offer. If it doesn't work out then you still have a job. Taking a job with a small business is OK if the alternative is unemployment but what opportunities exist for future job development? Is it a family run small business? In which case any promotions are likely to go to family members. If it was me, I would hold out to see if the preferred option comes good. Therefore, questions A and B are not relevant.
John, sorry I added a line which may make a difference. The future of my present company is a little uncertain.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

What’s a job :roll:
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Tough decision especially given the uncertainty of your current job. It’s a case of stick or bust I’d probably take the first offer if it was me.
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Tough decision especially given the uncertainty of your current job. It’s a case of stick or bust I’d probably take the first offer if it was me.
Yeah that's what my brain is saying but I hate the thoughts of taking a job knowing I may not actually start it. Just doesn't sit right but then if I don't get the other one I'm either still in uncertainty or better off (both jobs offers are financially better than my current position.)
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

There are other factors to consider.

Was once in a similar position once and actually decided to stick around.
Eventually it closed and did lose my job but with a very good redundancy package some of which I could put into a salary based pension which allowed me to take it early.

Never looked back only done part time stuff since and learned the value of time over money.

So what I'm saying is consider what will happen if you stick around, how long you have worked in the job ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Selby White wrote:There are other factors to consider.

Eventually it closed and did lose my job but with a very good redundancy package some of which I could put into a salary based pension which allowed me to take it early.

Never looked back only done part time stuff since and learned the value of time over money.

So what I'm saying is consider what will happen if you stick around, how long you have worked in the job ?
I'd end up with less than 2 months pay :crazy:

I had intended to retire in 2001 but that didn't work out :crazy:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc wrote:
Selby White wrote:There are other factors to consider.

I'd end up with less than 2 months pay :crazy:

I had intended to retire in 2001 but that didn't work out :crazy:
Totally different to my situation in that case but always something that should be considered.

The question then put another way is do you play it safe - the job offered or gamble and wait on the other job.

If you take the gamble and don't get it would it be a total disaster.
Suppose you need to consider how often jobs of the type you are after come up in your area.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc wrote: I had intended to retire in 2001 but that didn't work out :crazy:
Thats the lottery for you :lol: