All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Dilemma

Post by johnh »

Davy, From your comments re retiring it would appear that 'career path' considerations are not a key issue? Unless there is a massive gap in salary between the two jobs, I would take the first offer. One advantage from working for a small outfit is you will probably get involved in more areas of the business, which will make it interesting.
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

johnh wrote:Davy, From your comments re retiring it would appear that 'career path' considerations are not a key issue? Unless there is a massive gap in salary between the two jobs, I would take the first offer. One advantage from working for a small outfit is you will probably get involved in more areas of the business, which will make it interesting.
Yes indeed John they would be two totally different paths although the preferred job (Rail Network) is more in line with my current role. As for salary the second job salary is 33% more and offers a much better pension scheme, leave entitlement (and free rail travel across Europe :D )
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Davycc wrote:
johnh wrote:Davy, From your comments re retiring it would appear that 'career path' considerations are not a key issue? Unless there is a massive gap in salary between the two jobs, I would take the first offer. One advantage from working for a small outfit is you will probably get involved in more areas of the business, which will make it interesting.
Yes indeed John they would be two totally different paths although the preferred job (Rail Network) is more in line with my current role. As for salary the second job salary is 33% more and offers a much better pension scheme, leave entitlement (and free rail travel across Europe :D )
Davy, that salary gap is a big gap, dumps all my previous points. Still a difficult decision but I think I would put my eggs in the Rail Network basket and hope it comes good.

Best of luck whichever decision you take.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

johnh wrote:
Davycc wrote:
Davy, that salary gap is a big gap, dumps all my previous points. Still a difficult decision but I think I would put my eggs in the Rail Network basket and hope it comes good.

Best of luck whichever decision you take.
Yes, but then I have a niggling devil on my shoulder saying take the first job while you can and if the rail job comes up then take it. Then I have an angel on my other shoulder whispering in my ear thats morally wrong.

Anyway, I've a little wiggle room to think about it.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I’ve just sat down, noted the options on a piece of paper as if it was in my career (I have retired now) but when I was working. Then I realised, a similar thing happened to me.

I was working at insurance brokerage A, didn’t particularly like it, a bit too stuffy for me, everything had to be signed off further up the chain etc, so I was looking for a route out. I was on good money, so that didn’t really come into it.

I got interviewed and offered a job at insurance brokerage B, really nice people, really nice offices, a small increase in salary which was nice, but didn’t really come into it.

Out of the blue, I got offered a potential job by my old bosses at insurance brokerage C, but it could take a while to sort out, potentially 6 months or even longer or it may never happen at all. It could lead to massive things with share options etc if it came off.

So, do I stay at A, where I hate it, or move to B for what could be a short period or stay at A and hope C happens.

In the end, I stayed at A, I just couldn’t go to B knowing I would be messing them about if I actually did move to C shortly afterwards, it just didn’t feel right with me.

Thankfully, C did eventually happen and I did get my shares, sold them and retired at 45.

It’s a tricky one Davy, if it was me , I’d stick and hope my preferred job comes up trumps.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Davycc wrote:Lets say you have applied for two jobs. You're role at your current employer is at risk.
You have been interviewed for both and feel you did well in both interviews. You hear from one company quickly, a small business, offering you the job and to meet up in a few days to discuss in depth. It's your second choice. You feel you may get offered the job you prefer but it's with a large public sector operator and you know it will take a while to hear from them. Do you:

A. Give your 4 weeks notice from your current role and take the job knowing you may not actually be taking the position if successful with the other.
B. Inform them at the next discussion that you are waiting for the outcome of another interview in which you may not be successful.
C. Meet up in a few days to discuss in depth, explain the situation and see if they will give you more time. They will appreciate your honesty and they may take you on if the rail job doesn't come through.
By the way what was the rail job? I can relocate. :lol:
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Sniffer wrote:
Davycc wrote:Lets say you have applied for two jobs. You're role at your current employer is at risk.
You have been interviewed for both and feel you did well in both interviews. You hear from one company quickly, a small business, offering you the job and to meet up in a few days to discuss in depth. It's your second choice. You feel you may get offered the job you prefer but it's with a large public sector operator and you know it will take a while to hear from them. Do you:

A. Give your 4 weeks notice from your current role and take the job knowing you may not actually be taking the position if successful with the other.
B. Inform them at the next discussion that you are waiting for the outcome of another interview in which you may not be successful.
C. Meet up in a few days to discuss in depth, explain the situation and see if they will give you more time. They will appreciate your honesty and they may take you on if the rail job doesn't come through.
Im meeting with them on Thursday to discuss and I thats exactly what I've decided to do.

The role is Level Crossing Risk Coordinator for the network
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Davycc wrote:
Sniffer wrote:

Im meeting with them on Thursday to discuss and I thats exactly what I've decided to do.

The role is Level Crossing Risk Coordinator for the network
Ah, good.

Level Crossing Risk Coordinator sounds interesting but prepare for a bit of arguing with local councils. They've been trying to close them all for years as they are deemed as inherently unsafe - they're not, of course, it's the people not using them properly. And if they were all closed Network Rail would have to build a lot of expensive bridges which they are understandably loathe to do.

I worked for the railway for 20-odd years and, if it wasn't for some twisted individuals in management positions, I'd still be there. I loved it. Good luck with what ever you go with.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

BB's experience reminded me. I was working for a large Accounting Firm up in the City. The commuting was driving me up the wall so I applied for a similar job at a Company in Maidenhead whose offices were a 10 minute drive from my front door. I got the job and next day, handed my notice in at said Accountants. Later that day, I was instructed to go and see the Senior Partner. He asked me why I was leaving and said he understood where I was coming from on the commuting issue. After a pleasant chat he suddenly said 'how about if we move your department to our Reading office'. Had to write a letter of apology to the other Company withdrawing my acceptance letter. For the next several years I kept bumping into the guy who had offered me the job, as he lived in Maidenhead. To be fair, he was very reasonable over it, even though it must have caused him considerable delays. I saw him recently (older than me) and he is obviously retired but he didn't recognise me.
The Accounting firm job paid me £10k more than the Maidenhead job (early 1990's) which indicates just how much I hated the commuting!