International break

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

International break

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Am I the only one that really hates these constant breaks ? Might be my imagination but there seems more than ever these days. Money driven clearly as more and more internationals are played. With players away so much there’s always the chance of one of our own picking up a knock. I used to wonder how Chris Wood could fly to New Zealand, play, fly home and play on the Saturday.
The forum goes really quiet as well which makes things drag.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: International break

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Not a fan of the break if I’m honest disrupts the season so much is it now 3 breaks in total which is too many.
Winner of the Europa League
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

I can't stand it if the matches are friendlies but if they're in competitions then it's fine by me, even the Nations League thing. Put it this way, if we didn't have breaks then we might have to play our league matches without certain players if their countries insisted. I'm more dissatisfied with the TV companies ruling by viewing by schedules than I am by international managers having their way. Don Revie used to despair as England manager at losing so many players very late on because the FL wouldn't help him out, but the boot was v firmly on the other foot when he was Leeds manager :D
janecky
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by janecky »

Well... I rather like international matches. On Saturday striker Teemu Pukki missed a penalty, right back was sent off after 37 minutes - but still Finland came home as 3-1 winners from Bosnia. That kept our World Cup dreams alive. We host France tomorrow in Helsinki.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

I have to say that these international matches have as much interest for me as League 1.

Just as an aside, I would be royally peeved (sic) if I was a Real Madrid fan and witnessing the antics of Gareth Bale who is apparently being paid more than £600k per week or £2.4m a month which is an eyewatering amount of money.

I have no idea what has gone on between Real and Bale but the player, it seems, can't get to a fitness level where he is happy to turn out for his club but manages to represent his country. Happy to take the money but not earn it :roll:

Extracting the urine IMHO. I feel sorry for the fans
Keep The Faith / WAL
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Think the reason that nowadays we have an International break unlike years back when the qualifiers were midweek and players with their clubs at the weekends.

1. Players from all parts of the World play in Europes big leagues (and a few smaller ones) where before far more were local (British) hence less long haul journeys to represent your country.

2. There are actually more qualifying games to fit in, far more European teams causing bigger groups since the break up of Eastern European countries.

Although not keen on some of the qualifying games as the gap between opponents is too big, perhaps its time for the Gibralters & Andorra's of this world to play each other to qualify for the qualifiers.
Love the big tournaments though, looking forward to the WC.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I suppose back in the day most teams comprised of English, Welsh, Scots and Irish and there wasn’t the massive influx of players from all over the world which obviously had huge benefits but also drawbacks like the international break. Still think there’s too many breaks and I’m sure I read somewhere there’s those who want a scheduled winter break. Anyway roll on the weekend and a full fixture list.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

ChilwellWhite wrote: I’m sure I read somewhere there’s those who want a scheduled winter break. Anyway roll on the weekend and a full fixture list.
I must admit, I’m not totally against a winter break.

Not much fun heading off in the dark and cold to night games.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

ChilwellWhite wrote:I suppose back in the day most teams comprised of English, Welsh, Scots and Irish and there wasn’t the massive influx of players from all over the world which obviously had huge benefits but also drawbacks like the international break. Still think there’s too many breaks and I’m sure I read somewhere there’s those who want a scheduled winter break. Anyway roll on the weekend and a full fixture list.
The more money that rolls into FIFA, the more it is going to happen. The next step will probably be rulings which reduce the size of domestic leagues. This will give more time for International breaks and new competitions. It wasn't a coincidence that FIFA were against the European Super League, UEFA were impinging on FIFA territory.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Last nights England game highlighted why teams like San Marino shouldn’t be playing England. In cricket the smaller nations like Scotland & Afghanistan have to play in a qualifying group with just one team emerging to play with the big boys. A weeks football lost to play a pub team, ridiculous
Winner of the Europa League