Members Recipes

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Members Recipes

Post by Davycc »

After a suggestion by Wigan White I've started this thread off with a post from ChilwellWhite.
ChilwellWhite wrote:Just had this sent to me will give it a go this weekend love a good curry me :D

Spiced Beef Keema:

Serves 2 (double up, for more!)

225 g ground beef
- 200 g potatoes
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1½ tsp garam masala
- ½ onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 g ginger
- 1 green chilis (optional, plus another to garnish if you want)
- ½ tbsp oil
- ½ tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 250 ml water
- 75 g frozen peas
- salt
- cane sugar
- pepper
- coriander (for serving)
- lemon juice (for serving)
- basmati rice (for serving)

Chop onion, garlic, ginger and one Chili, and mix well together (I use a chopper or similar here because I’m lazy).

Peel the potatoes, chop into quarters and set aside.

Hear the oil and butter in a heavy pot with a lid for a few minutes, then add the combined onion, garlic, ginger and Chili, add a bit of salt and cook on a medium heat for five minutes until nice and soft, stirring occasionally.

Add the mince, whack the heat up to high, and keep working it through with a wooden spoon until it is nicely browned (8-10 minutes tops).

Add the turmeric and Garam masala (and more Chili if you want) and fry for one minute.

Add the potatoes, stir well to mix it all in, then add the water and deglaze the pot.

Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover with the lid and simmer for around 20 minutes.

Add the frozen peas, and simmer for a further 10 minutes with the lid on, until the peas are cooked through.

Add a bit of salt and pepper and a pinch or two of cane sugar, give it all another stir and add fresh lemon juice to taste.

Serve with basmati rice, and shower with fresh coriander.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Members Recipes

Post by kk white »

Garlic and Cream Chicken Pasta

A real go to for me with the kids - genuinely believe it tastes as good as anything you'll get in a restaurant, hence we keep making it. Only takes minutes:

(Serves 4)
300g Penne
2 Large Skinless Chicken Breasts
4 Cloves Garlic
1 Onion
1 tsp Cornflour (mixed with a tbsp of water)
250 mls Chicken/Veg Stock
200ml heavy cream
Cup of Grated Parmesan (plus more for serving)
Olive Oil

1. Cook Penne per instructions

2. Chop garlic and onion - add to a hot oiled pan and cook until soft

3. Dice chicken, add to pan, reduce heat and cook until brown (white? I can never see how chicken goes brown :crazy: )

4. Add stock, stir

5. Add cream, stir

6. Add cornflour, stirring immediately to thicken

7. Add Grated Parmesan, stir

8. Add cooked Penne, mix through

Serve
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

My favourite meal of the moment chicken teriyaki.

Ingredients

2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
6 skinless and boneless chicken thighs, sliced
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
50g runny honey
30ml light soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp sesame seeds , to serve
4 spring onions, shredded, to serve
sticky rice, to serve
steamed bok choi or spring greens, to serve

STEP 1
Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken and fry for 7 mins, or until golden. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for 2 mins. Stir in the honey, soy sauce, vinegar and 100ml water. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 - 5 mins over a medium heat until the chicken is sticky and coated in a thick sauce.
STEP 2
Scatter over the spring onions and sesame seeds, then serve the chicken with the rice and steamed veg.
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Isn't it odd how people like or dislike certain things? I HATE garlic. The smell from it makes me gag and the very few times I have tasted it (by accident) has left me in shock for days. There are plenty of other things I avoid but if I had to would probably manage to eat. But not garlic. I would rather starve to death than eat it.
I once played against Don Revie.
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

johnh wrote:Isn't it odd how people like or dislike certain things? I HATE garlic. The smell from it makes me gag and the very few times I have tasted it (by accident) has left me in shock for days. There are plenty of other things I avoid but if I had to would probably manage to eat. But not garlic. I would rather starve to death than eat it.
Ever seen yourself in a mirror? Been to Transylvania? etc.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

psquithy wrote:
johnh wrote:Isn't it odd how people like or dislike certain things? I HATE garlic. The smell from it makes me gag and the very few times I have tasted it (by accident) has left me in shock for days. There are plenty of other things I avoid but if I had to would probably manage to eat. But not garlic. I would rather starve to death than eat it.
Ever seen yourself in a mirror? Been to Transylvania? etc.

:lol:
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Love garlic personally it adds so much to a meal. Mind this coming from someone who can’t the smell of tea let alone the taste. Edit to say we use lazy garlic and lazy ginger.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Love garlic personally it adds so much to a meal. Mind this coming from someone who can’t the smell of tea let alone the taste. Edit to say we use lazy garlic and lazy ginger.
Garlic, love it. If I could find garlic crisps they'd be my favourite.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

We enjoy making risotto, it's so versatile and can be made with seafood, asparagus, chicken & bacon etc and there's many variations of accompanying ingredients.

But we make mushroom risotto every couple of months:

1. Soak dried porcini mushrooms in warm water for at least half an hour. They are available in E European grocery shops, although we get ours from Lidl. They are optional but the soaking liquid provides an excellent broth for quenching the rice, especially when fortified with a mushroom stock cube (same E European shop)

2. Chop some shallots quite finely (you can use normal onions but it's not as good) and fry them gently in butter with a little olive oil. Once they've softened add the soaked mushroms (if using).

3. Add the risotto rice (I imagine it would work with normal rice but not be as good). About 125 grams for two people. Stir it round for a couple of minutes with the onions, ensuring the pan doesn't burn. Then quench it with decent white wine (we use Tesco's fino sherry). Be warned there will be a lot of steam but it dies down quickly. It's important to let the alcohol evaporate. Then add the mushroom broth a little at a time, stirring well. (You can also use vegetable broth).

4. Just before the rice is fully cooked we add chopped chestnut mushrooms and put the lid on the pan. The mushrooms give off liquid when they are cooking which gets absorbed into the rice. After about 5 minutes the mushrooms should be cooked through as will the rice. But check the texture of the rice and seasoning adding more broth if necessary and a little salt.

5. We finish our risotto with (calorie police look away now) a knob of butter, some creme fraiche and lots of grated parmesan. The heat under the pan can be turned off at this stage as it will be warm enough to melt and absorb these ingredients.

Risotto should be eaten immediately, it's not something to be saved for the next day.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Aqua-
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Aqua- »

Great idea this thread! Im looking to collect recipes for a while now.
On the garlic thing - Love it, prefer a freshly chopped one either in the oven or fried with onions, adds so much taste to a meal.

I'd love to hear some veggie recipes as well if anyone has any. Anyway to my orange lentils spread:

Ingredients:
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 garlic clove (optional for those who hate it, but really not
Unnoticeable)
- olive oil
- 250g red lentils

Spices:
- salt - around 3/4 tea spoon (depends on your taste)
- sweet paprika - around 1 tea spoon (depends on your taste)
- baharat - around 1/4 tea spoon (depends on your taste)
- tumeric powder - 1/2-3/4 tea spoon (depends on your taste)
- nut meg - around 1/4 tea spoon (depends on your taste)

Preparation:
1. Chop the onion and fry in with olive oil in a pot.
2. Boil 500ml water in a cattle.
3. Wash the red lentils under running water.
4. When the onion is soft and golden (and sweet!) Add the rinsed lentils into the pot and pour the boiling water in as well.
5. Cook over large fire till the water boil.
6. Turn down the heat to low and put on the lid so that it cover half of the pot (we want the water to evaporate).
7. Keep cooking the lentils for around 20 mins, mixing the batch every 5 mins (towards the 20th min perhaps a more frequent involvement is needed - every 3-4 mins).
8. After 20 mins of cooking crush the garlic cloves into the pot, add the spices and mix the batch.
9. Keep cooking with the lid covering half the pot on low heat for up to 10 mins. The idea is to have a pretty solid spread without much liquids.

You can eat it hot with lemon juice in top, fresh sliced tomato on top and chpped parsley & coriander.

I like it also after a while chilling in the fridge as a spread on a piece of toast.

Enjoy :angel: