Cashless society

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Cashless society

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I’ve always liked money in my wallet at least a £100 you never know when you’ll need it but everywhere these days is going cashless. Headingley cricket ground is the latest of the venues I frequent that’s gone cashless. I know I’m probably just old fashioned but by using a credit/debit card you don’t really know what you’re spending.
Winner of the Europa League
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Cashless society

Post by Barlow Boy »

Elland Road is fully cashless, supposedly it speeds up service. The queues look as long as ever to me.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Scammer's paradise.
I once played against Don Revie.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Not a fan of a cashless society, will make the human race more lazy but that is where it will end up. I'm half and half as I like money in my wallet but also have money on my bank card (not a debit card, have always refused one when the bank tries to get me to).

Does not make it quicker either that is a lie especially when the technology fails which it always does. In the end though as always I will adapt. For the past 2 seasons I've been to the football its being cashless and more and more places will follow.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

To be fair, I've just been having this conversation with the guy that runs a local garage and he hates cash. He told me that his banks charges him 1.5% when he tries to pay in cash. With more & more banks closing this is clearly the way forward for businesses not necessarily for us the punters.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

There is a charge to all companies for processing credit/debit cards usage, so you would think that LUFC would prefer cash payments to debit/credit card payments, so as to keep their costs down
During Lockdown , like millions of other people , I occasionally used Amazon , particularly for my Kindle ( digital book) as local bookshops were usually closed .Late last year Amazon announced they would no longer accept Visa credit cards for purchases( basically because the multi- billion dollar Amazon felt Visa were charging them too much for transfers of money . They gave a deadline for customers to give alternative card details for bank or credit card where Amazon could make squillions of dollars more .In the end Amazon relented but one of the biggest unreported frauds has been people in error giving alternative card details to scammers who were not Amazon)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

ChilwellWhite wrote:There is a charge to all companies for processing credit/debit cards usage, so you would think that LUFC would prefer cash payments to debit/credit card payments, so as to keep their costs down
In a complete cashless situation like ER the charge is offset against the need to pay for the security company sending a van and personnel to collect the cash. Also no need to employ anyone to count it, put it in various bags before they do.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Mr Russell wrote:Not a fan of a cashless society, will make the human race more lazy but that is where it will end up. I'm half and half as I like money in my wallet but also have money on my bank card (not a debit card, have always refused one when the bank tries to get me to).

Does not make it quicker either that is a lie especially when the technology fails which it always does. In the end though as always I will adapt. For the past 2 seasons I've been to the football its being cashless and more and more places will follow.
I'm in between but find I'm using the CC for most things nowadays mainly driven by the fact it makes me money. My bank gives me cash back on all purchases which averages around £20 per month. Not a lot but better in my pocket.

Always carry cash though.

One thing I have been doing is buying a bit of foreign currency when the rates are good and using/selling when low. Mainly euros & US dollars as know will use at some stage and buying at the right time sure beats bank rates.
Anyway our recent trip to Rome I took lots of Euros I'd had awhile and was strange using cash everywhere instead of cards.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Taking it to the next level, my 23 year old lad uses his phone to pay for everything, just scans it like a card :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:Taking it to the next level, my 23 year old lad uses his phone to pay for everything, just scans it like a card :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Gets worse BB seen a few people use their watch :shock:

Must admit sometimes I wish technology would stop.