Re: Best fish & chips

Post by Wigan White »

Selby White wrote: The WW still has a good reputation
Thanks SW. Appreciated. :D :lol:
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

NottinghamWhite wrote: Pete Fuscoe had greater ambitions & moved 18 miles up the road to Whitby & opened The Magpie, still run by his grandsons today.
Just a wee correction, NW ........ Peter Fuscoe did move to Whitby, but it was to open Royal Fisheries in Baxtergate, and then to open the Quayside, round the corner, which we think is even better than the more famous Magpie.

They serve proper Yorkshire style skin on haddock, and it's just fab.

My real reason for posting, though, is to point you in the direction of my (almost) local spot, Thompsons on the A64, couple of miles before the big Scarborough roundabout on your way back from the coast.

They're the best chippy for miles around, including all of those in York, so maybe, just once, deny yourselves your usual fish and chips at the seaside, (have a waffle or something, to keep you going), and give Thompsons a bash .............. there's a lot more in the way of fish and seafood to choose from, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. :thumbup:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Mr Russell wrote:One of the very few things I miss about the UK, decent Fish and Chips.

My thoughts exactly one of the big reasons I miss Yorkshire. Although I’m led to believe that Grimsby is the fish & chip capital of the UK. Anyone confirm ?
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

yorkfan wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote: Pete Fuscoe had greater ambitions & moved 18 miles up the road to Whitby & opened The Magpie, still run by his grandsons today.
Just a wee correction, NW ........ Peter Fuscoe did move to Whitby, but it was to open Royal Fisheries in Baxtergate, and then to open the Quayside, round the corner, which we think is even better than the more famous Magpie.

:
I’m all for been corrected ;) it was 50 years ago :D I knew his son Dennis who I believe passed away several years ago now.

I’ve heard good reports about Thompson’s so will bear this in mind. Was it once the Tanglewood pub or is my mind once again playing tricks ? Only time we’ve had fish & chips in York was at Drakes & from memory they were very acceptable.

Walker’s Restaurant at East Ayton has a excellent reputation as well.
Winner of the Europa League
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

Hi, NW,

The Tanglewood pub was very good in its day, and some of the pub grub was a cut above.

Sadly, it's now a luvvies furniture store, selling all the latest "on trend" bits and pieces.

Drakes took over from Petergate Fisheries in York, and I gather they are keeping up the previous high standards.

Just to refresh what I mentioned above, The Quayside in Whitby, with proper skin on haddock, is for us, second only to Thompsons.

I'm getting hungry now!
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Probably out of mosts way but Rollo's in Antrim, fantastic chippy. Always a queue at tea time in the street, even in rain.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

What is it about Whitby? Best Fish & Chips I had were from Papas Fish & Chips. Absolutely delicious. I'd be happy to drive all the way there from Leicester to eat anther meal from that place :thumbup:
Keep The Faith / WAL
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Where’s your favourite chippy mine is North Bay Fisheries in Scarbados. We have a local award winning fish n chip shop called Cods Scallops which is alright but not a patch on NBF. Come on tell us where you enjoy going to.
We got fish and chips from them a few weeks back and the standard hasn't dropped, it's plummeted! They've been expanding (Birmingham, West Bridgford) so maybe they're overstretched financially. Also saw something on the news that Russia's war on Ukraine is having a massive impact on fish and chips....Ukranian origin sunflower oil, cod fished from cold waters off northern Russia.

I found one in Scarbados called Crossleys on Eastborough....doesn't look anything special from the outside....but proper Yorkshire welcome, food piping hot and delicious.

One that sticks in my mind from Uni days is 'Sweaty Bettys' opposite the Engineering faculty. A lifesaver after eight pints of Tetleys in the Packhhorse or Eldon :lol:
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

yorkfan wrote: Drakes took over from Petergate Fisheries in York, and I gather they are keeping up the previous high standards.

Yes Drakes! We were just passing so popped into a branch in Bradford and they put the fish in fresh, it was exceptional. Equally good are our memories from their outlet in Knaresborough
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

We really are a nation of fish and chip lovers I don’t know anyone that doesn’t like them. However as a kid it was classed as a working class supper that’s not the case anymore as a meal now for two is £19 and these are of an acceptable standard certainly not to the standard of the east coast.