Best fish & chips

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Best fish & chips

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Where’s your favourite chippy mine is North Bay Fisheries in Scarbados. We have a local award winning fish n chip shop called Cods Scallops which is alright but not a patch on NBF. Come on tell us where you enjoy going to.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Best fish & chips

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Has to be Trenchers in Whitby but Graveley’s opposite Elland Road ( United Fisheries) is very good considering the amount they get through on match days.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Not been to our local chippie for a few years and decided to treat myself last week as Mrs SW was out and couldn't be bothered to cook.
It's new owners since I was last there and tried to order a special but the bloke explained they were having issues getting the larger fish so just had ordinary haddock and chips.
Glad I did the fish was superb and bigger than specials used to be with the previous owners. Enough chips for two people but I struggled through and was stuffed.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Ah! Trenchers agreed great fish & chips in lovely surroundings. It’s owned by two spinsters & if you check out their website the majority of staff have been their 25+ years, speaks volumes to me. A certain ex England opening batsman’s mother works there, a really nice lady she is as well.

St Michaels Fisheries in Headingley is a go to when we’re up for the cricket. As it’s lunch time we share a portion. Was let down big time by Brett’s not been back since.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

As a kid in Pickering I was weaned on fish & chips at a tiny shop called Fuscoe’s memory tells me they were superb. Pete Fuscoe had greater ambitions & moved 18 miles up the road to Whitby & opened The Magpie, still run by his grandsons today. So you see I was spoilt as a kid :D

SW what’s the Wetherby Whaler like these days used to enjoy a couple of pints in the Royal Oak & then a fish supper upstairs at the WW.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Our local is George’s they also have other branches plus a restaurant in the city, their fare is alright but after having fish and chips on the east coast you are spoilt.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:As a kid in Pickering I was weaned on fish & chips at a tiny shop called Fuscoe’s memory tells me they were superb. Pete Fuscoe had greater ambitions & moved 18 miles up the road to Whitby & opened The Magpie, still run by his grandsons today. So you see I was spoilt as a kid :D

SW what’s the Wetherby Whaler like these days used to enjoy a couple of pints in the Royal Oak & then a fish supper upstairs at the WW.
The WW still has a good reputation but to be honest we've not been recently (well before Covid).
The one we go to would be the WW restaurant on the York ring road near clifton moor retail park.

Must be well over 20 years since I used the original Wetherby shop.

Think I've mentioned it on here before but we enjoyed a Fish restaurant in Scarborough. Was told about it by friends, tried it on on one of our trips to the coast. Its near the Railway Station and up some stairs is all i can tell you.

Edit - Found it called Mother Hubbards
https://www.mother-hubbards.co.uk/
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Down here in the south all you can hope for is 'adequate' (occasionally).
I once played against Don Revie.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

One of the very few things I miss about the UK, decent Fish and Chips.

My home town of Keighley had a couple of good ones, sorry can't remember their names plus there are a couple of fantastic ones around Headingley near the grounds.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote:
Think I've mentioned it on here before but we enjoyed a Fish restaurant in Scarborough. Was told about it by friends, tried it on on one of our trips to the coast. Its near the Railway Station and up some stairs is all i can tell you.

Edit - Found it called Mother Hubbards
https://www.mother-hubbards.co.uk/
That’s definitely on our to go to list, we’re back there in July for the cricket as long as I’m fit enough. There’s just something in me that enjoys walking down from the cricket & getting fish & chips & a quick stroll over to Peasholm Park to eat them.

As a kid I used to enjoy Dandelion & Burdock to wash them down ain’t had a drink of that in decades. :D