Nuisance calls

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Nuisance calls

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Last 4 days I’ve received calls from different 0203 numbers each day I block them but they still keep coming with different 0203 numbers. I’m with Vodafone anyone else get these calls, they’re clearly spam I'm sure if I answered it would cost me. Any help would be appreciated
Winner of the Europa League
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Nuisance calls

Post by Another Northern Soul »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Last 4 days I’ve received calls from different 0203 numbers each day I block them but they still keep coming with different 0203 numbers. I’m with Vodafone anyone else get these calls, they’re clearly spam I'm sure if I answered it would cost me. Any help would be appreciated
Mate, I use this site to report any dodgy call - had loads and loads over the years but hardly any recently. Famous last words :P

You key in the number on the site and can then also post a report/comments, lots of folk use the site so I have a feeling some good does come from using it. https://who-called.co.uk/
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Cheers it appears they were a bespoke orangey company, a plumbers merchant & a builders merchant
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Cheers it appears they were a bespoke orangey company, a plumbers merchant & a builders merchant
Personally it has helped me, I no longer rant at the callers, unless they are clearly lying - NOT all are - and my home number is the same as a misprinted-on-Google telephone number for a local dentist :lol: I rarely lose my temper now with callers, though they know what I think of them if they are dodgy, and it's quite relaxing reporting scammers on that site.

It's been the family number for decades so when I ever get a call asking for my mum or dad, both no longer alive, the caller is in for a difficult time, I can tell you!
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

Sadly, NW, there seems to be no way of ridding ourselves of these pests.

I also use the who-called website, and block the caller based on the result, but since they largely use cheap burner mobile phones, they just bounce back with a new number.

The problem is, that no matter how careful one is about protecting one's number, we submit it on online forms almost daily, and it soon becomes common interweb knowledge.

I'd happily go off grid, if only Yorkshire Bank and others would accept contact via carrier pigeon.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

I’ve also noticed a large increase in spam emails looks like my email addy has been passed on. Everyone is out to scam you these days, ridiculous.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I had a spell of getting them again never answered and straight on to block, blessed nuisance they really are.
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

You can get phones that go straight to voicemail if the incoming number is not in your address book.

Like these

https://shop.bt.com/category/electronic ... 6-58450000

Hardly anyone ever leaves a message and those that do you can call back if you want to.

Other manufacturers/devices are available.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

My wife’s just had a text message saying she’s been in contact with someone with Covid-19 & to contact a number urgently. After a little research on the net yep you’ve guessed it’s a scam :twisted:
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Was talking to a neighbour yesterday and they said an elderly aunt got a random text from someone pretending to be her daughter, basically saying she’d lost her phone and bank card. Then they asked could she transfer her some money and even having a text conversation with her. She was actually transferring this scammer money but the bank questioned it and stopped the transaction ( luckily ) due to the amount.