Pub games

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Pub games

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Another Northern Soul wrote:and Newmarket
Id actually forgotten about this card game as a family using pennies it was always played in our house at Christmas as a kid by my dad, myself and brothers :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

cheffy007 wrote:There is a pub in Mayfield near me in Tunbridge Wells, which about 10 years ago used to have a bar billiards table, I used to be quite good at it, I am totally pants at pool. They also had a shove half penny table, never seen a smoother more shiny table top in my life. I don't know if these games are still in the pub, will have a drive over in the week and check it out.
Visited a couple of places with bar billiards back in the day, good game.
Seen shove half penny many times but most of the old boozers have gone it's all food pubs now.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
ChilwellWhite

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Of all the games dominoes etc were they more a Northern based thing or was there domino leagues in the south or Ireland for that matter ? Genuine question.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

When I played Pool in the league one of the Pubs we visited was the Fenton Flyer in Church Fenton.
The landlord (if he's still there) is a big Leeds fan and everything in the Pub is Blue, Yellow or White. They even play Pool with Blue Balls replacing the reds.
The only exception is the Manchester Utd toilet paper for when needed. :D
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Two of the best ever games for me probably weren't played in pubs but should have been: ludo and Frustration :D

Also, though I've forgotten how to play it correctly now, backgammon is a good game too.

Always enjoyed whist, Phil, and Newmarket and rummy, gin-rummy.

Would love to learn how to play cribbage, as well as Go, and Bridge, but never have the time or opportunity.

Was never one who was into board games if I’m honest we used to play a card game called Nap in my old local usually involved cash as well. Never got into Brag or Poker when often a lot of money could be lost and arguments caused.
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

It was pool in our local. Payed your 10p to "play the winner". On a good night 20p got you playing all night with a queue of 10ps on the side of the table.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Of all the games dominoes etc were they more a Northern based thing or was there domino leagues in the south or Ireland for that matter ? Genuine question.
Not wishing to generalise of course but I know dominoes is popular with West Indian or Caribbean fellas, perhaps more the older generation, in the West Midlands as well as oop :D here.
ChilwellWhite

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Our local used to have Trivial Pursuit evenings plus I love a good pub quiz, who doesn’t ;) things I brought to the team were nature, food and drink and geography.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Occasionally had a game of Chess in one of the locals I once used, really enjoy Chess but not played for a very long time.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Selby White wrote:Occasionally had a game of Chess in one of the locals I once used, really enjoy Chess but not played for a very long time.
Can’t get my head around chess I’m usually good at logical thinking I’ve done the Telegraph cryptic crossword for the past 40+ years. I started doing it after meeting a group of guys who used to meet early doors in a pub I used to frequent & they used to sit down doing it. It remains my number one thing I want in life is to win the prize they offer every weekend of £25.,

Anyway yes I enjoy a pub quiz think most of us do. fao Sniffer do west county pubs still have skittle alleys something I’ve enjoyed doing in the past.
Winner of the Europa League