Pub games

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Pub games

Post by NottinghamWhite »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Our local used to have Trivial Pursuit evenings plus I love a good pub quiz, who doesn’t ;) things I brought to the team were nature, food and drink and geography.
Pretty much the same here plus sport, well football & cricket. I’m shocking with Kings & Queens & politics though. I enjoy Tennable especially when the final question is geography related.
Winner of the Europa League
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Of all the games dominoes etc were they more a Northern based thing or was there domino leagues in the south or Ireland for that matter ? Genuine question.
Pool, Darts, Rings and Bar Billiards were the four I remember from 70's/80's in south east Ireland.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

Was very good at pool, I started playing snooker at 3 years of age but stopped playing when I went to high school and the moment I started going to the pub was when I played pool. I had one of Alex Higgins old snooker cues which my Grandad won back in the early 80s. Played for money mainly in my local working mens club. Loved doms, crib and darts. I miss all of it tbh but the one thing I really miss and this will sound crazy but despite not smoking ever in my life, I missed the smoke in the tap rooms where a lot of those these games we're played. The atmosphere was always brilliant. The moment people had to go out to smoke is the moment that the atmosphere died imo, people going out every 2 mins was bloody annoying escpecially when you're playing cards or doms. A particular favourite card game of mine was 'Stop The Bus'. Brilliant memories
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

NottinghamWhite wrote: one of my old pals had a nickname knock knock as he was so bad at both these games :D
That's just reminded me of an Only Fools and Horses episode. If you know, you know!
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Reading through this thread it’s a shame the average local isn’t as it was. We have 4 pubs all within walking distance but none are pubs that we are used to they’re just food factories & no longer a place to sit & play traditional pub games. I suppose that’s where the money is but what profits are they making ? An example is yesterday we went to a local pub at 16:30 & I ordered a gammon which was £7:79 this was off the lunch menu on an evening the exact same dish is £11:49 :roll:
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Pub grub is fine and around us reasonable as there’s a fair bit of competition locally. What does annoy me is the standard of service you get compared to other counties especially the USA where service is unbelievably good and people treat is as a profession as opposed to the bulk of people here who are doing it as a stop gap more often than not. Apologies for taking the thread off course.