Pub games

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Pub games

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Anyone else enjoy certain pub games ? I was quite good at pool till I had to wear glasses but did play darts, cribbage, dominoes & a real favourite was 5&3’s. Sadly a lot of these games are no longer played as pubs, well around us are more eateries. Used to play in a dominoes & 5&3’s league & boy was it taken seriously one of my old pals had a nickname knock knock as he was so bad at both these games :D

I played for a pub called The Horseshoes & our big rivals were The Lettered Board, sadly both pubs are now long since closed. Like others look at the football fixtures & when we play Scum these inter pub fixtures were the eagerly awaited nights, great memories.
Winner of the Europa League
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Pub games

Post by Another Northern Soul »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Anyone else enjoy certain pub games ? I was quite good at pool till I had to wear glasses but did play darts, cribbage, dominoes & a real favourite was 5&3’s. Sadly a lot of these games are no longer played as pubs, well around us are more eateries. Used to play in a dominoes & 5&3’s league & boy was it taken seriously one of my old pals had a nickname knock knock as he was so bad at both these games :D

I played for a pub called The Horseshoes & our big rivals were The Lettered Board, sadly both pubs are now long since closed. Like others look at the football fixtures & when we play Scum these inter pub fixtures were the eagerly awaited nights, great memories.
I was okay at darts, very average at pool and rubbish at dominoes, but enjoyed them all quite often.

True story - I guested for one pub team at pool as their usual captain was unavailable. I was rubbish and got easily beaten, I was not fit to chalk Peter Lorimer's cue, the man I stood in for :D
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Darts at pubs & clubs is still popular where I live, I'm very hit and miss at the game, played A grade competition 3 years in a row in the mid 2000's, our team made the Grand Final every year, we lost every time!

Love watching the game and when I go to family/friends places we have a game!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

As others, used to be half decent at pool. I played in a number of leagues when I was a lot younger.

My dad was prolific at Dominos, he got loads of trophies for 5&3’s. Never really understood the skill in it, you either had the dominoes that matched or you didn’t :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

5&3’s is a highly skilful game requires watching your opponent to try & second guess what they might be holding, love the game I do. A couple of years back my son in law asked me to teach him cribbage twas 2 hours of my life I’ll never get back :lol: he couldn’t get his head around 15-2, 15-4, 15-6 & one for his knob :lol: both the aforementioned games are similar & both very enjoyable but sadly they are only played by folk of a certain age.
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

There is a pub in Mayfield near me in Tunbridge Wells, which about 10 years ago used to have a bar billiards table, I used to be quite good at it, I am totally pants at pool. They also had a shove half penny table, never seen a smoother more shiny table top in my life. I don't know if these games are still in the pub, will have a drive over in the week and check it out.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

As a much younger man I’ll admit to having taken part in several whist drives they were all the rage once upon a time. Ah the good old days :D
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Great thread I played darts and dominoes for my local back in the day. Loved a good away day and most pubs used to out do each other with the food they offered after play had finished. The usual fare was assorted sandwiches which were occasionally with chips as well. One section of the bar paid homage in the number of cups etc that the teams had won. One of our players the captain of the A team ( not BA Baracus :lol: ) actually played in a couple of News of the World finals but got knocked out both times in the first round.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Played Pool for a few pubs and locally was a decent player and always up there in the averages. Result of spending too much time in the Pub in my late 20s & 30s.
Won a few trophies but that was a long time ago.
Stopped playing about 5 years back but form had definately deserted as the eyes have but not practicing was the main reason.

Never played much darts or doms only when the team was short and always lost if called upon.

As CW says got some good spreads put on at various pubs after the game, always chose well who I played for ;)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Two of the best ever games for me probably weren't played in pubs but should have been: ludo and Frustration :D

Also, though I've forgotten how to play it correctly now, backgammon is a good game too.

Always enjoyed whist, Phil, and Newmarket and rummy, gin-rummy.

Would love to learn how to play cribbage, as well as Go, and Bridge, but never have the time or opportunity.