Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: I remember that/those

Post by ChilwellWhite »

How’s it go nostalgia ain’t what it used to be :D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

The smell of coal buring on dark wet winters nights as you sat with your mates on the damp wall outside. The smell just hung in the air.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

That first seasonal cut of the local footie pitch.

Fresh grass, summer coming, entire day's spent playing various mini and full size games - 10 Points (Headers & Volley's), World Cup Knockout, Keepie Uppies - and anything else you could invent with 1, 2.. 30 other kids.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Davycc wrote:The smell of coal buring on dark wet winters nights as you sat with your mates on the damp wall outside. The smell just hung in the air.
This reminded me of my mothers first job on a morning.

Can you imagine in today’s climate of elf & safety how this would be frowned on but back before central heating it was happening in hundreds of thousands of homes across the country.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

kk white wrote:and anything else you could invent with 1, 2.. 30 other kids.
Yes we played 15-20 aside on the local recreation field also hide & seek using similar numbers .
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
kk white wrote:and anything else you could invent with 1, 2.. 30 other kids.
Yes we played 15-20 aside on the local recreation field also hide & seek using similar numbers .
Same NW.

Our local council field in the middle of our estate was just ok, big slope.
But we were very lucky that just over our tiny back yard wall was one of the biggest schools in the area - 6 full size pitches, basketball and tennis courts, handball/squash alleys (indoor and out).

When they cut the 6 pitches in there, wow, you could smell it for days.

3 of those pitches were end to end, so great times playing pitch & putt along the length of them too.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Having full fat (it was the only kind) milk delivered to your door and leaving egg cups for the milkman to put over the tops to stop the birds drinking it. Also Friday afternoons when the lemonade man would deliver my favourite cream soda.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

A couple of years ago we visited my home town of Pickering where we decided to visit the towns Norman castle. My wife using had a banking app from Barclays that allowed us free entry to the site. Before wandering around the grounds we got chatting to the man in the office. After our tour around the castle we met the same gentleman again who asked if we had enjoyed our visit. My response was it wasn’t anywhere near as good as when we used to sneak in as kids :D
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

As young lads we used to cycle to Dalby Forest where there was a series of 5 gates on a 200 yard stretch. We each positioned ourselves by a gate this was on Bank Holidays when we knew the forest would attract loads of days visitors. What we would do as a car approached we would open the gate & as the car came through more often than not the driver would give us a tip for doing this usually 1d, 2d or occasionally a three pence coin. We would put a 5-6 hour shift in before cycling back to town where we would meet up in the gang hut, a disused building on a friends dads small holding. Here we would divvy up the days takings & this was followed by a visit to the cinema to watch films like Hayley Mills in In Search of the Castaways followed by a fish & chip supper. Young entrepreneurs in the making :D
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Our local corner shop used to sell broken biscuits which were lovely. Another shop would sell you a Woodbine or another type of cigarette and who can forget sherbert dabs used to love them. Long summer days where bike rides were long and all us lads owned a fishing rod although from memory we rarely caught anything. School holidays were always the best times of the year.