I remember that/those

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

I remember that/those

Post by NottinghamWhite »

As there’s little or no football to chat about I’ll start a thread about one of my favourite topics nostalgia. I remember fondly Berni Inns a place where you could impress a young lady. For those who are already lost Berni Inns were steak houses where they had a kitchen where you could watch your steak getting cooked. All the steaks for your table would go on a sloping grill at the same time. The well done would sit sizzling at the top of the slope, medium in the middle & rare at the bottom. All however had the same cooking time. Before your steak arrived with fries, tomato & mushroom there was the visit to the salad bar. To impress your date you’d order a bottle of Mateus Rose or a Liebfraumilch ( god it was awful ) This was my attempt at sophisticated behaviour almost 50 years ago :D

Come on what do you remember that no longer exists ?
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: I remember that/those

Post by Davycc »

I remember in the late 70s the old red and white Post Office Puch mopeds with the rider all in black with a white helmet delivering telegrams especially on a Saturday morning to weddings. I remember it because I used to do it. Way back in those days you'd sometimes be quite tipsy on a Saturday morning when you got back to the depot. Grooms and best men usually shoved a drink in your hand at the weddings. Thankfully how times have changed.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:As there’s little or no football to chat about I’ll start a thread about one of my favourite topics nostalgia. I remember fondly Berni Inns a place where you could impress a young lady. For those who are already lost Berni Inns were steak houses where they had a kitchen where you could watch your steak getting cooked. All the steaks for your table would go on a sloping grill at the same time. The well done would sit sizzling at the top of the slope, medium in the middle & rare at the bottom. All however had the same cooking time. Before your steak arrived with fries, tomato & mushroom there was the visit to the salad bar. To impress your date you’d order a bottle of Mateus Rose or a Liebfraumilch ( god it was awful ) This was my attempt at sophisticated behaviour almost 50 years ago :D

Come on what do you remember that no longer exists ?
Dare not show Mrs SW this thread her first job as a teenager was washing up at a Berni Inn :lol:

When travelling to matches by road we often stopped at Little Chefs (think a few still exist), loved their Gooseberry pancakes until they were removed from the menu, not sure where they got their gooseberries but they were a very unnatural green but tasted superb. :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Many years ago I did a management course with a subsidiary of Whitbread called Trophy Taverns really a carbon copy of Berni Inns even down to the salad bar. I did my grill work training in Earlsdon an area of Coventry aka back then Stab City. My front of house training took me to the outskirts of Nottingham a city I loved so much years later I moved here. My final training was for bar work and accounting and for this I was sent to Neath in South Wales which was the complete opposite of what I was expecting it wax a lovely town with even lovelier people I even dated a local girl Anwen which means very fair or blessed.
I completed the course and though there was many assistant managers positions available I noticed it was rare that actual managers posts became available and this is where the wages and bonuses were excellent I decided to leave and pursue other positions. I enjoyed my months with Trophy Taverns.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Talking of Salad Bars one of the food pub chains still do one, think it is Harvester.

Edit - Just looked it up and they ditched doing it recently do to cost of living
https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/harveste ... t-27300926
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Ah Little Chefs they had historically rodent problems as they were usually in the countryside as opposed to rural areas. I remember following thinking I was Beau Brummell after my visits to Berni Inns ( I was rapidly becoming a real ladies man :D ) My next adventure with food was to try ethnic food so it began one night in the early 1970’s & I bought a Vesta beef curry & frankly couldn’t see what all the fuss was about. Undeterred I was determined to educate my palate & on a visit to York where I was attending a course & friends made the decision we would eat out at Stanley’s Chinese restaurant in Goodramgate I remember our manager at the end of the meal went to his inside pocket & took out a wad of luncheon vouchers to pay.
My favourite Chinese was/is sweet & sour but back in the day I never fancied rice so always had it with chips
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

NottinghamWhite wrote: Vesta beef curry ....
Now there's memories :D
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Davycc wrote:
In the same vein was Fray Bentos meat pies & suet pudding which came in tins ( I am informed by my all knowing wife they are still available) proper grub for the upwardly mobile young man catering for himself. Two things I hated were pot noodles & Bombay mix & still do.

Going back to luncheon vouchers some younger readers will be horrified but Embassy & No 6 cigarettes came with vouchers which you traded for items though it took a lot of vouchers to get the cheapest of items. Then there were Green Shield stamps can’t really remember how you acquired them :roll:
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Davycc wrote:
In the same vein was Fray Bentos meat pies & suet pudding which came in tins ( I am informed by my all knowing wife they are still available) proper grub for the upwardly mobile young man catering for himself. Two things I hated were pot noodles & Bombay mix & still do.

Going back to luncheon vouchers some younger readers will be horrified but Embassy & No 6 cigarettes came with vouchers which you traded for items though it took a lot of vouchers to get the cheapest of items. Then there were Green Shield stamps can’t really remember how you acquired them :roll:
1. Pot Noodles - hate the stuff
2. Bombay Mix - love it.
3. I remember as a nipper being bored on school summer holidays and posting a letter to myself. I used a Green Shield stamp as the actual stamp. It was delivered a few days later. My brother said I was just lucky so I did it again. A couple of days later the door knocked and the postman asked my mum if she could contact whoever was posting the letters with the green shield stamps on them to stop as he wouldn't deliver anymore :D
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

I remember having a collection of silver football coins, I think they were for the World Cup, that you collected when my dad put petrol in the car. Can't remember which brand it was possibly Shell or Texaco.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders