I remember that/those

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: I remember that/those

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Littering and fly tipping two things that really makes me angry.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

The daily morning visit from the milkman on his electric float delivering glass bottled milk with different coloured foil tops depending what is ordered and collecting the previous days empties. Any variation to the daily delivery was requested by a rolled up note in an empty bottle left on the doorstep. End of the week and Milko would come around for mum to settle up.
Also, I was milk monitor at my Junior school. Main duty was to put the little bottles of milk out for class mates for morning break. All ok apart from very cold mornings when the milk delivery stayed out too long and the milk was frozen :D
Used to get deliveries of soft drinks for a spell - Corona I think - but it didn't last long
Think the emergence of supermarkets put paid to it all
Keep The Faith / WAL
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

PhoenixUnited wrote:The daily morning visit from the milkman on his electric float delivering glass bottled milk with different coloured foil tops depending what is ordered and collecting the previous days empties. Any variation to the daily delivery was requested by a rolled up note in an empty bottle left on the doorstep. End of the week and Milko would come around for mum to settle up.
Also, I was milk monitor at my Junior school. Main duty was to put the little bottles of milk out for class mates for morning break. All ok apart from very cold mornings when the milk delivery stayed out too long and the milk was frozen :D
Used to get deliveries of soft drinks for a spell - Corona I think - but it didn't last long
We still get the milkman in our village, we still leave rolled up notes for him, you have to get it off the doorstep early before the sun gets it too warm or the cold freezes the milk.

All very traditional but you pay him online now at the end of the month :D
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Barlow Boy wrote:
PhoenixUnited wrote:The daily morning visit from the milkman on his electric float delivering glass bottled milk with different coloured foil tops depending what is ordered and collecting the previous days empties. Any variation to the daily delivery was requested by a rolled up note in an empty bottle left on the doorstep. End of the week and Milko would come around for mum to settle up.
We still get the milkman in our village, we still leave rolled up notes for him, you have to get it off the doorstep early before the sun gets it too warm or the cold freezes the milk.

All very traditional but you pay him online now at the end of the month :D
Same with our window cleaner. Drops a slip with his details on it. Pay by text, on the websisite even has a QR code for an app to make payments.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Couple over the road have a pint delivered every week always makes me wonder just a pint as we can easily have 4-6 pints a week. I like a bowl of cereal every morning so I suppose that takes a good amount of it. I do remember seeing frozen milk on doorsteps in the winter. We used to have a rag & bone man every couple of weeks with his horse & cart a bit a la Steptoe. Coal men carrying sacks of coal with consummate ease but all with their blackened hands & faces. Used to have a coal shed in the back yard like most houses did this was next door to the outside WC. I can’t remember when we had an indoor bathroom fitted probably late 1950’s until then it was a tin bath & outside privy where the toilet paper was strips of newspaper.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Davycc wrote:
Same with our window cleaner. Drops a slip with his details on it. Pay by text, on the websisite even has a QR code for an app to make payments.
Our window cleaner, Paul is strictly a cash only man a big Leeds fan who ran with the Service Crew back in the day although I think some pay by BACS or some other payment system. He was very ill with Covid-19 at the start of the pandemic when he was in ICU for 3 weeks then got pneumonia. He lost loads of weight but is pretty much back to his fighting weight again,
Winner of the Europa League
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

We still get a mobile shop in the village, every Tuesday up near the village green.

Always makes me smile when I see the older folk in the village walking up to the little van :D
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I saw pictures of Glastonbury after everyone had left you couldn’t see the ground for litter & rubbish yet today’s youngsters believe we older folk are the problem :roll:

When did this trend of littering start ?
That, I'm afraid, is a media lie (kind of). The image is from a few years ago. This year was fairly clean for a change. I have a friend who worked there this year and helped clear up after everyone had gone.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:We still get a mobile shop in the village, every Tuesday up near the village green.

Always makes me smile when I see the older folk in the village walking up to the little van :D

Where I lived before we had a regular weekly fish monger come to the estate used to come from Grimsby used to get some lovely lemon/Dover sole and plaice. Luckily we have a decent fish monger in Beeston just down the road. As others have said as a young un we had coalmen, binmen ( lifting full bins into their shoulders) popman, rag and bone man and a mobile shop. All things of the past sadly but it’s nice to remember the old days :D
janecky
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by janecky »

Davycc wrote:Anyone else attach a bit of cardboard and a clothes peg to the forks of your bike so that it "sounded like a motorbike " when it rubbed against the spokes. You had to get the piece of card just right.
Been there, done that.