Worth watching on telly

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Worth watching on telly

Post by mapperleywhite »

We watched 'A Suitable Boy' on BBC1 last night, a story set in 1950's India combining politics, religion and romance. There's a good pace to the storyline, some creditable acting all set against a magnifient backdrop of colours and exotic buildings. A tremendous piece of TV.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Isn't that from a book that's about the same size as Lord Of The Rings ??

Never read it myself, but heard good things about the novel after it came out.
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

rigger wrote:Isn't that from a book that's about the same size as Lord Of The Rings ??

Never read it myself, but heard good things about the novel after it came out.
Yes, a review in the paper said the series is adapted from Vikram Seth's 'voluminous' 1993 novel, a fact confirmed by an Indian mate on FB today. Tere still raving about the programme tonight.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote:We’re watching Tom Hanks in The Post tonight. Must admit I know nothing about it but love Hanks.
Not my favourite Hanks movie but still a very good watch. Recommend it if you haven’t seen it.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Watched the pilot episode of The Prodigal Son last night it’s got legs but only a 7/10 so far.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Finally got round to finishing the latest offering of Killing Eve, it’s lost it’s way a bit for me now, but if anyone is thinking of killing me off, please could you arrange for Jodie Comer to do it - I’ll pay.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Barlow Boy wrote:Finally got round to finishing the latest offering of Killing Eve, it’s lost it’s way a bit for me now, but if anyone is thinking of killing me off, please could you arrange for Jodie Comer to do it - I’ll pay.

She manages to make the weirdest outfits look good.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I think too many shows suffer from that thing where they become more popular than the producers anticipated and another series is created to cash in, often diluting what would've been a perfect story if it had finished as intended : Homeland, Broadchurch and now Eve are all classic examples.

I get it from an economic point of view, but not from an artistic and not when so many shows are cancelled prematurely, particularly in sci-fi.
Firefly, the 4400 and Gravity would all have made money - especially in "after" sales like DVDs, merchandising, streaming and movies if the channels behind them had only looked a little further than the viewing figures. IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes don't lie : they're very accurate about how popular any show really is and should be used more than figures from RADA, etc.
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:Finally got round to finishing the latest offering of Killing Eve, it’s lost it’s way a bit for me now, but if anyone is thinking of killing me off, please could you arrange for Jodie Comer to do it - I’ll pay.
We enjoyed the first series, written by Phoebe Walter-Bridge, immensely, but she didn't write the second one and it was a real disappointment. In fact so much so that we haven't bothered to watch the third series.

Agree 100% about Jodie Comer - what a talent. Her speech at last years BAFTAs was hilarious.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Just watched the pilot of Instinct seems alright.