The Rugby League thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
The Johnson
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: The Rugby League thread

Post by The Johnson »

Mr Russell wrote: That is a worry if he's no good under the high ball. Can't believe the Warriors have dropped my favourite player (in their team) Konrad Hurrell, last year he was a monster and the way he scored that try vs Souths when he ran over Inglis was a joy to watch.
The thinking is that he is quite weak on defence, meaning our already disappointing edge defence gets even worse. But after two hammerings, I wouldn't be surprised to see him lining up this weekend.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Last night was the first state of origin match between New South Wales and Queensland played at Suncorp Stadium. In front of a packed crowd of over 51000 NSW surprised their Northern rivals 12-8 to take a 1-0 lead in the series. QLD have won the past 8 series between these two sides.

The game was won on some fantastic defense by NSW which held out the attacking hordes of the QLD team (and fans) to take the lead in the series back to Sydney for game two in 3 weeks. Man of the match was Jarrod Hayne (Parramatta) although i would have picked Brett Morris (St George) as he did score a try whilst injuring his shoulder but he played on and produced a great match saving tackle near the end of the game. QLD lost their play maker Cooper Cronk in the first half and lost some direction after that but the famous QLD spirit showed in the second half but in the end (and for a change) it failed.

Game 2 should be a cracker.

On a side note i did pick the score in the game :thumbup: but have not been to collect my winnings as yet.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
The Johnson

Post by The Johnson »

Nicely done Mr. R. I thoroughly enjoyed the match, thought it was brilliantly competitive and had a good balance of some wonderful attcking moves and some hard, aggressive defence.

It's sad to admit as a fan of the Kiwis, but Origin is the pinnacle of Rugby League without a doubt.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

It was a nice change to see NSW actually play up to the QLD standard, don't worry there is plenty of Kiwi's in the NSW/QLD teams anyway (Tamou/Papali to name 2). State of Origin is the best form of Rugby League on this planet, sadly its much tougher/harder/stronger than the international game, we need strong Kiwi/England teams to make it competitive again, Kiwi's always do well in comps like the World Cup etc but England have not won a series vs the Aussies since 1970 and barring an occasional series they've been smashed each time. Sam Burgess turned his back on league because he could not play for NSW in the state of origin.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Holt Park Loyal
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Holt Park Loyal »

Close at the top this year in Superleague, looking like a 3 way shootout between Leeds Saints and Wigan for the top spot, we've got Saints at home then Wigan and Hull away last 3 games of the regular season so its going to go right to the wire! Hats off to Cas though they are still hanging in there, they've been great to watch this year, and I look forward to more rivalry with them now that the bullsh*ts are gone :twisted:
ben87
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by ben87 »

souths looking good at the right end of the season.
hopefully we can finally do it this year
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

ben87 wrote:souths looking good at the right end of the season.
It was a pleasure to see them beat Newcastle by such a big score (50-10), in fact both games yesterday were very one-sided with the Warriors flogging Canberra 54-18 (TJ will be happy) and Canberra only got 18 thanks to the 3 tries in the last 5 mins :crazy:
Happily for me, my team (Manly) is leading the way but it should be a great game next weekend vs your Souths, it could decide the minor premiership.
The Johnson

Post by The Johnson »

It was a tremendous win! Not to mention the fact that those three tries came when we were playing with a man down due to injuries Mr. R!
ben87
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by ben87 »

Mr Russell wrote:
ben87 wrote:souths looking good at the right end of the season.
It was a pleasure to see them beat Newcastle by such a big score (50-10), in fact both games yesterday were very one-sided with the Warriors flogging Canberra 54-18 (TJ will be happy) and Canberra only got 18 thanks to the 3 tries in the last 5 mins :crazy:
Happily for me, my team (Manly) is leading the way but it should be a great game next weekend vs your Souths, it could decide the minor premiership.
pumped for friday night! should be great.
i hope big Sam Burgess is back in the team. hes been terrific all season, gonna be a massive loss for us when he leaves :oops:
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Well done the Leeds Rhino's for getting to Wembley for the final of the challenge cup.

:clap: :clap: