The Rugby League thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: The Rugby League thread

Post by johnh »

I didn't know anything about Rugby of either code when I moved to Leeds in 1951. I struck up friendship with a lad who was mad keen on Rugby League and supported Leeds. I lived only 5 minutes walk from Headingley Cricket/Rugby grounds and went to a few Leeds Rugby games. They were the days of Lewis Jones, Arthur Clues etc. I remember Hunslet who had a young star named Gabbitas and the other team in Leeds was Bramley, who always seemed to be the underdog. Looking at the results in the paper today, I see that Hunslet are now down in Division 1, 2 leagues below Leeds. Bramley didn't appear in the results so I don't know where they are now. Good to see three divisions now, including several teams in the south and midlands. Back in the day, there was only one division.
I once played against Don Revie.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Rob Burrow announces he is retiring at the end of the season.

Sixteen years with Leeds and won everything in the game to win.

Good to see he is joining the Rhino's youth set up as am sure his experience will benefit the younger generation.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Rob Burrow announces he is retiring at the end of the season.

Sixteen years with Leeds and won everything in the game to win.

Good to see he is joining the Rhino's youth set up as am sure his experience will benefit the younger generation.
Good little player, when i came over to England in 2006 i went to watch Leeds vs Bradford at Headingley, Bradford were in front for nearly the whole game, Scott Donald (Aussie who played for Manly ;) ) scored the try to even the scores at 24-24 all and Burrow kicked the goal from the sideline, great day! :D He will do well with the kids!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Hi guys and girls,
Sorry to hijack the thread but just wanted to through out the invite to the LUFCTALK map. There are quite a few regular poster who don't yet grace the map, if it's not for you then I of course I understand but I have been thinking it may be a case of peeps not visiting the new members thread (where the map info is located) often.

If anyone, regular posters or indeed new members would like placed on the map please just let me know on the map pin thread. If you would like the password to place yourself on the map please just PM me and I'll pass it on (don't want to post it as some WUM could mess around)

I've asked the kind folks in the admin office and they have promised not to ban me as I'm going to place this post on several of the top threads to try to catch everyone.

Davycc
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Good luck to the mighty Wigan Warriors in the Challenge Cup final today. :wave: :wave:

Hope it's a great game and the best team win. (as long as it's Wigan) :thumbup:
PockWhite

Post by PockWhite »

What a fantastic performance tonight & terrific achievement over the whole season by the Rhinos!!
Great stuff.
So pleased,especially for BM, Danny M & Rob B. :thumbup: :clap: :clap:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Nah Cas are the stars of the season, League Champions is what it's about.
Grand Final is just a add on for Sky to make more money
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:Nah Cas are the stars of the season, League Champions is what it's about.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
PockWhite

Post by PockWhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote:Nah Cas are the stars of the season, League Champions is what it's about.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Cas had a great league season for sure & were well worthy League Shield winners.
Leeds finished a very creditable second after a very good season, especially after where they were a year or so back.
The end of season tournament has been part of the overall Super League season for umpteen years now & everyone signs up for it at the start of the season.
After a number of really good games the top 2 league sides finish up in the final, with Cas rightly so big favourites to win it.
But on the day Leeds were by far the better side & thoroughly deserved their win.
So well done the Rhinos. :clap:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

We were woeful Pock, absolutely woeful.

Gale was non existent, our kicking game was dire and, of course, the whole Hardaker issue didn't help having to shove Eden to full back.

No doubt Leeds were the best team on the night, but overall, and as proven by the table, Cas were the better team.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.