Post by Wigan White »

Shaun Wane leaving Wigan at the end of the season
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The Rugby League thread

Post by Barlow Boy »

Wigan White wrote:Shaun Wane leaving Wigan at the end of the season
Interesting, who made the decision to sign Hardaker then :crazy:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Slightly off thread as this is Union. My club, Maidenhead, under 18's have just won the National Cup, beating Tynedale rfc 45 - 23 at Worcester's Sixways ground. Some good lads in that team who, hopefully, will progress to the senior side in the next year or so.
I once played against Don Revie.
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Wigan White wrote:Shaun Wane leaving Wigan at the end of the season
Interesting, who made the decision to sign Hardaker then :crazy:
Probably still Shaun Wane along with the chairman Ian Lenagan.

No surprise Hardaker signing with Sam Tompkins also leaving at the end of the season.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Leeds Rhinos sack Brian McDermott
Winner of the Europa League
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Leeds Rhinos sack Brian McDermott
Not knowing much about rugby league the BBC headline "Leeds sack head coach McDermott" threw me for a moment.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

When I moved from Liverpool to Leeds in 1951 my brother and I used to go to local parks for a kick-about. They had these weird looking posts which we found out were rugby posts. You could go into any park in Liverpool and never see any rugby posts. Gradually, via the Yorkshire Post and Yorkshire Evening News, we got to know the various teams in RL. We only lived a short walk from Leeds ground at Headingley. There were three teams in Leeds. Leeds, Hunslet and Bramley. Bramley were always the also rans. Apart from the top league in RL I have lost track. Where are Hunslet now and do Bramley still survive?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:When I moved from Liverpool to Leeds in 1951 my brother and I used to go to local parks for a kick-about. They had these weird looking posts which we found out were rugby posts. You could go into any park in Liverpool and never see any rugby posts. Gradually, via the Yorkshire Post and Yorkshire Evening News, we got to know the various teams in RL. We only lived a short walk from Leeds ground at Headingley. There were three teams in Leeds. Leeds, Hunslet and Bramley. Bramley were always the also rans. Apart from the top league in RL I have lost track. Where are Hunslet now and do Bramley still survive?
Think Hunslet are still going but Bramley folded quite a few years back.

Never been a big Rugby fan myself but have a couple of cousins who played but "Union". One here played many years for Selby the other is down your way John and played for Wasps at his prime and then for Reading as he gor older.

If had to choose prefer "league" as most northerners do but would not call myself a fan, like to see the Yorkshire teams win though. I can actually watch local stuff from home, Selby Warriors play other side of my back fence.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Thanks SW. Probably saw your cousin play if he played for Reading. Reading are usually Maidenhead's local derby, though two seasons ago they got relegated and we got promoted so they are two leagues adrift from us now.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:Thanks SW. Probably saw your cousin play if he played for Reading. Reading are usually Maidenhead's local derby, though two seasons ago they got relegated and we got promoted so they are two leagues adrift from us now.
It'll be a few years ago that he played in first team (in his mid 50's now), but if you saw him I'm sure you would have noticed he's a big lad at 6'7".
Believe he's the current President of Berks RFU.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.