The Rugby League thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: The Rugby League thread

Post by Wigan White »

Adrian Lam to take over as Wigan RL coach for the 2019 season.

Shaun Edwards to take charge from 2020, after the Rugby Union World Cup. :thumbup:
birkybullufc

Post by birkybullufc »

Wigan White wrote:Adrian Lam to take over as Wigan RL coach for the 2019 season.

Shaun Edwards to take charge from 2020, after the Rugby Union World Cup. :thumbup:
I see Bateman is off to play in the NRL with Canberra for 2 or 3 seasons. I really enjoyed watching him come through at the Bulls. Shame to lose another player from Super League. The whole sport in this country needs a complete rethink and a long term strategy put in place to halt the slide.

It's a shame to see Billy Slater retiring. Such a talent. Best ever fullback?
Follow the cause not the leaders.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

birkybullufc wrote:The whole sport in this country needs a complete rethink and a long term strategy put in place to halt the slide.?
I’m not into RL anywhere near as much as is used to be, went 11 Years following Cas, both home and away, without missing a game. It was great back then, but seems to have lost its way a bit.

I’ve seen Eddie Hearn making the odd comment about taking over the sport.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Wigan White

Post by Wigan White »

birkybullufc wrote:
Wigan White wrote:Adrian Lam to take over as Wigan RL coach for the 2019 season.

I see Bateman is off to play in the NRL with Canberra for 2 or 3 seasons. I really enjoyed watching him come through at the Bulls. Shame to lose another player from Super League. The whole sport in this country needs a complete rethink and a long term strategy put in place to halt the slide.
There have been rumours about Bateman leaving since the start of the season, so it's no surprise. The deal is that he leaves for 2 years with the option of a 3rd, and then returns to Wigan as one of marquee players in a 3 year deal.
Wigan White

Post by Wigan White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
birkybullufc wrote:The whole sport in this country needs a complete rethink and a long term strategy put in place to halt the slide.?
I’m not into RL anywhere near as much as is used to be, went 11 Years following Cas, both home and away, without missing a game. It was great back then, but seems to have lost its way a bit.
Same for me with Wigan.

Totally agree with you saying that the game seems to have lost its way.

Doesn't seem right somehow that nobody cares about finishing top of the league.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Wigan White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Same for me with Wigan.

I've always argued about that, seen plenty of avid RL fans saying it doesn't matter who finishes top, it's who wins the play-off final that really matters. What a load of rubbish - a Rhinos fan wouldn't have it last season after Cas had won the league shield and he actually then tried to back up his argument by saying that Leeds' treble win was also a sham as top of the league is basically irrelevant. Why have a league format at all then? It seems basic to me guys that diminishing the league title contest hurts the game overall.

Reminds me of when all the foreign imports in Prem football really started a few years back, Chelsea being possibly the first culprits... it was always going to hinder English players' prospects if they didn't control the situation well enough and that of course would affect England's chances of winning stuff.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

birkybullufc wrote:

That will make it 3 Englishmen at Canberra now with Hodgson (who has been outstanding since he came here) and Whitehead (who earns rave reviews as well), at least they'll enjoy the cold weather down there.

As for Slater, most defintely the best fullback of the last 30 years or should i say most consistent each week he plays.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Wigan White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Same for me with Wigan.

I've always argued about that, seen plenty of avid RL fans saying it doesn't matter who finishes top, it's who wins the play-off final that really matters. What a load of rubbish - a Rhinos fan wouldn't have it last season after Cas had won the league shield and he actually then tried to back up his argument by saying that Leeds' treble win was also a sham as top of the league is basically irrelevant. Why have a league format at all then? It seems basic to me guys that diminishing the league title contest hurts the game overall.
Its because the code is following the Aussie way of doing things, no one cares about coming first in any Australian team sport its about winning the final series that is the big trophy, mainly though its money and having a final series generates a lot more for those in charge and gets them a bigger TV deal at the end of the day.

First past the post used to mean something but nowadays its a meaningless trophy. Last season's A League Sydney FC came first by 14 points but that at the end of the day meant nothing as they did not make the grand final, Melbourne who came 4th beat my side Newcastle who came 2nd. In the Aussie Rules Richmond came third in the table (Adelaide came first) but everybody remembers the grand final of Richmond beating Adelaide not of Adelaide being minor premiers.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
birkybullufc

Post by birkybullufc »

Mr Russell wrote:
birkybullufc wrote:

That will make it 3 Englishmen at Canberra now with Hodgson (who has been outstanding since he came here) and Whitehead (who earns rave reviews as well), at least they'll enjoy the cold weather down there.

As for Slater, most defintely the best fullback of the last 30 years or should i say most consistent each week he plays.
Elliot Whitehead, another Bradford Bulls product. Add to that the three Burgess' at Rabbitohs and the Bull's Academy is serving the NRL well. :-)
Follow the cause not the leaders.
Wigan White

Post by Wigan White »

Zak Hardaker charged with drink driving.

What a bloody idiot. Will he ever learn? :thumbdown: