Just great music.....

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Just great music.....

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Went to watch a band named The Lone Bellow last week in Brighton an American 3 piece, really enjoyed them and at £12 a ticket, train ride and a few beers it was a good evening.
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

Stone Broken's debut album 'All In Time' has got to be an early contender for album of year. :thumbup:

It's a belter throughout, but here's Let Me Go & Stay All Night: great stuff :clap:

P.S. Forgot to say am off to se 'em in some pub in Manc, April 9th, after Burnley away! :thumbup:
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

This Life - even better! :thumbup:

Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Anyone heard of John Grant ?
I hadn't till a month ago when one of my oldest mates told me he'd got me a ticket to see him.

He's a singer/songwriter in the bitter homosexual vein and his lyrics are hilarious : twisted and witty and very, very earthy.

The merchandise was great - lots of loyal fans wearing "GMF" t-shirts ("I am the Greatest Mother****er" is one of his songs) - and the crowd knew the man and his music very well.

I like going to gigs "blind" like that - or should that be deaf ? ;)

The music ranged from him on the piano singing dark ballads, through to full on synthy rock/pop with electric guitar over the top.
Elements of his style include Depeche Mode, Air, Bowie, Human League, but above all - for me anyway - The Associates. His voice goes really deep, but also quite high so one minute he sounds like Johnny Cash or Scott Walker, the next Billy Mackenzie or Freddie Mercury.

Really good stuff.

My favourite song was called Disappointing, with the line "There's nothing more beautiful than your smile as it conquers your face" :

Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Yes, I've heard of him. Grant's first album was album of the year in Mojo. Do I like him though?

Just out of interest, you no doubt know Jumbo is the finest record store in Leeds. They run some excellent in store gigs. Grant did one not that long ago - big stuff really for an Independent record store.

Not my cuppa cha but glad you enjoyed the gig. Me and the Mrs love a gig.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

Selby White wrote:Down In London this weekend, off to see the Musical "Sunny Afternoon" on saturday night. Always liked lots of stuff by Ray Davies so really looking forward to it.

Should be good that SW - I have all Kinks stuff released on Phillips (nothing later). Really influential band and genuine rivals for The Beatles and The Stones when I was young. Love their music. Enjoy.
attacco decente
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Oh yeah, one more for ya .. I'll be at The Barbican on Saturday 20 Feb with Roo, my Spanish gf, as she's bought us tickets for Wynton Marsalis playing the Gershwin songbook with a full orchestra :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

God, I love that woman :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Mellor wrote:
Selby White wrote:Down In London this weekend, off to see the Musical "Sunny Afternoon" on saturday night. Always liked lots of stuff by Ray Davies so really looking forward to it.

Should be good that SW - I have all Kinks stuff released on Phillips (nothing later). Really influential band and genuine rivals for The Beatles and The Stones when I was young. Love their music. Enjoy.
Only got one Kinks album as such although it's "the Ultimate Collection" a double album with all their singles plus a mix of b sides and rareities.
Do have a couple of Ray Davies solo albums "Other peoples life" and "Working Man's Cafe" both well worth a listen.
Actually got to see Ray live when in America a few years back.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:Oh yeah, one more for ya .. I'll be at The Barbican on Saturday 20 Feb with Roo, my Spanish gf, as she's bought us tickets for Wynton Marsalis playing the Gershwin songbook with a full orchestra :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

Should be good Rigger.

As I said in London myself this weekend then back again at end of month so looks like either side of you (could have bought you a beer :thumbup: )
Looking for a show/concert for 2nd trip as nothing booked other than hotel.

Have found a Blues Club online hope to visit.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

Selby White wrote:
rigger wrote:Oh yeah, one more for ya .. I'll be at The Barbican on Saturday 20 Feb with Roo, my Spanish gf, as she's bought us tickets for Wynton Marsalis playing the Gershwin songbook with a full orchestra :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

Should be good Rigger.

As I said in London myself this weekend then back again at end of month so looks like either side of you (could have bought you a beer :thumbup: )
Looking for a show/concert for 2nd trip as nothing booked other than hotel.

Have found a Blues Club online hope to visit.
Just a suggestion but a visit to Ronnie Scott's can be recommended - providing there's someone on you like. It's a legendary venue of course and a visit proves why. You can have a table and eat (worth doing) or just a seat. I saw (Sly &) The Family Stone there 18 months ago and it/they was/were magnificent. An absolute pleasure to listen to great music in a venue which has hosted so many of the greats. Booking essential I think. Just a thought.

Obviously Sly was missing on the night and Sylvia Robinson has passed away since but The Family Stone were immense on the night - influential doesn't even start to describe their career.

The Union Chapel in Islington is another great small venue if there's anyone on you like. Big acts playing acoustically very often. Lovely setting again and often used for live recordings.

I'm a fan of small venues :thumbup:

Anyway, enjoy yourself.
attacco decente