The Book Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

The Book Thread

Post by Barlow Boy »

Sorry, if there is already a thread for books but I couldn't find it if there is.

Anyway, currently reading Ridsdale's book United We Fall (I have had it for ages, but only just got round to reading it :crazy: ). There are obviously several references to O'Leary, and I was thinking of getting his book next, I think it is called Leeds United On Trial or something like that.

Has anybody read it ?, is it any good ?.

Cheers

BB

P.S Finished DLW's book recently. Very, very good read :thumbup: and I am looking forward to the next one. I'll see you on Saturday Dave, I thought about bringing my book so you could sign it but Barlow Junior said that was just 'sad' :oops:
Last edited by Barlow Boy on 28 Jul 2013, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: The Book Thread

Post by NottinghamWhite »

There used to be a book thread and was popular. Thanks for starting this...
Winner of the Europa League
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Malcolm Stark »

I've got David Peace's new book Red Not Dead coming on Thursday morning, pre-ordered on Amazon. I expect it to be as gripping as his previous football book.

After that, though, I've got an open road.

Can anyone on here recommend if I should read Dirty Leeds, or (the revised?) book Extra Time? Any opinions would be much appreciated.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

The revised edition is better, MS, simply because it's the unabridged version. 10% of sale price goes to Candlelighters charity too :D

I'll let you in to a little secret - I'm just about to finish David Peace's latest. It's fab but it's bloody heavy too, in weight that is, as it has over 700 pages!
Malcolm Stark

Post by Malcolm Stark »

Cheers ONS. Your advice will be heeded.

Got the hardback version coming. That's a good job, cos with 700 pages, a paperback wouldn't last too long.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Malcolm Stark wrote:Cheers ONS. Your advice will be heeded.

Got the hardback version coming. That's a good job, cos with 700 pages, a paperback wouldn't last too long.
It's the delivery fellas I feel sorry for :D
Malcolm Stark

Post by Malcolm Stark »

That will be me, then!!! :D

Hopefully not many David Peace fans in the leafy, Midsomer Murders lanes of Dinton, Bucks!
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Barlow Boy wrote:
P.S Finished DLW's book recently. Very, very good read :thumbup: and I am looking forward to the next one. I'll see on Saturday Dave, I thought about bringing my book so you could sign it but Barlow Junior said that was just 'sad' :oops:
Lei e molto gentile BB! I think that young Barlow is a shrewd cookie....as ONS once said in a similar situation "I think the book will be more valuable without my signature!!!!!" Glad you enjoyed it and look forward to meeting up again on Saturday. D
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Currently reading "The Numbers Game: Why Everything You Know About Football is Wrong".
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Malcolm Stark wrote:I've got David Peace's new book Red Not Dead coming on Thursday morning, pre-ordered on Amazon. I expect it to be as gripping as his previous football book.

After that, though, I've got an open road.

Can anyone on here recommend if I should read Dirty Leeds, or (the revised?) book Extra Time? Any opinions would be much appreciated.
Malcolm

You MUST get Dirty Leeds, or preferably Extra Time. Both excellent. The story-line about Jimmy O'Rourke is very well written and is intertwined with the history of Leeds in the Revie era, which is extremely accurate and brought back many memories for me as I lived in Leeds through the beginnings of that era. No serious Leeds fan should be without a copy of one or both these books.
I once played against Don Revie.