Post by Mr Russell »

57% Nottingham :shock:

Then again
19 years in Keighley West Yorkshire
24 years in Newcastle AUSTRALIA!!!

might just explain it

But Chips and Gravy i think not :x
chips and vinegar is the only way with scraps
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: How northern are you?

Post by Sniffer »

Sheepy wrote:This is how I see it :angel:

Right, so I was born in Nottinghamshire (or Warwickshire as it was known), lived with Cockneys for about 5 years, grew up with More Farmers and the Welsh (actually, Bristol must be the city with the biggest Welsh population outside of Wales) and now I'm suffering from a bad dose of Cockneys again. Not very Northern at all, then. So how did I manage to get 85%? 40+ years of supporting Leeds Utd has a lot to answer for. :eh: :shifty: :thumbup:
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Talking of Northern: Has anyone ever had a deep fried Mars Bar? I have heard of these, but never seen one or tasted one, I am pretty sure it was supposed to be a northern thing - Newcastle maybe! :crazy:
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

Frankie wrote:Talking of Northern: Has anyone ever had a deep fried Mars Bar? I have heard of these, but never seen one or tasted one, I am pretty sure it was supposed to be a northern thing - Newcastle maybe! :crazy:
Isn't it a Scottish thing, specifically Glasgow (I think)? Remember seeing something about it years ago in travelling across UK programme.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

The dish is said to have been created in 1995 in the Haven Chip Bar (now the Carron) in Stonehaven, near Aberdeen on Scotland's northeast coast.[3][4] The first recorded mention of the food was in the Aberdeen Evening Express, following a tip off phone call to their journalist Alastair Dalton that a chip shop in Stonehaven had been deep frying Mars Bars for local children. The Evening Express article included a quote from Mars spokesperson who said this was the first time they had heard of this being done with their product. The following day the story was picked up and run in the Daily Record, August 24, 1995, in an article titled "Mars supper, please".[5] This triggered a chain reaction, with Scottish broadsheets The Herald and Scotsman running the story the following day and the UK broadsheets the day after, each adding their own cultural slant. On the fifth day Keith Chegwin was doing taste tests on The Big Breakfast TV program and the story was going out globally on the BBC World Service. Chip shops around the country immediately responded by putting it on their menus.

Forfar being only 35 miles south of Stonehaven.

I have never tried one as prefer my burger and chips or a fish supper.
Deleted User 2747

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:The dish is said to have been created in 1995 in the Haven Chip Bar (now the Carron) in Stonehaven, near Aberdeen on Scotland's northeast coast.[3][4] The first recorded mention of the food was in the Aberdeen Evening Express, following a tip off phone call to their journalist Alastair Dalton that a chip shop in Stonehaven had been deep frying Mars Bars for local children. The Evening Express article included a quote from Mars spokesperson who said this was the first time they had heard of this being done with their product. The following day the story was picked up and run in the Daily Record, August 24, 1995, in an article titled "Mars supper, please".[5] This triggered a chain reaction, with Scottish broadsheets The Herald and Scotsman running the story the following day and the UK broadsheets the day after, each adding their own cultural slant. On the fifth day Keith Chegwin was doing taste tests on The Big Breakfast TV program and the story was going out globally on the BBC World Service. Chip shops around the country immediately responded by putting it on their menus.

Forfar being only 35 miles south of Stonehaven.

I have never tried one as prefer my burger and chips or a fish supper.
Thanks for that information. Do you know if they still do them up there?
Viduka95
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Viduka95 »

Frankie wrote:Talking of Northern: Has anyone ever had a deep fried Mars Bar? I have heard of these, but never seen one or tasted one, I am pretty sure it was supposed to be a northern thing - Newcastle maybe! :crazy:
I live all the way down in Cornwall 'Ooh Arr' and my local chippy does them. They are worth trying but not everyone's cup of tea. :D
@MrSkorecki Twitter
LEEDS, LEEDS, LEEDS!
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

As far as i am aware they dont do them anymore.

The scottish goverment put out a health warning a few years ago about them.
Shockleader50
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by Shockleader50 »

Does Northern Ireland count lol. If so then I'm Northern.MOT.
Deleted User 2747

I'm so northern I can't even spell sauowf!