Name that Girl - Music Quiz

Engage in some light-hearted challenges to test your knowledge and wits
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Name that Girl - Music Quiz

Post by Sniffer »

36. Just about five feet four from her head to the ground. Gloria - Them.
This threw me as I was reading it as one line but it's delivered as two - I know, I'm a pretentious twat, but I was a singer and lyricist and pretentious twat was the job description when I signed up.
Wanna tell ya 'bout my baby
You know she comes around
Jus' 'bout five feet four
From her head to the ground

G.L.O.R.IIII
GLORIA
Glorious! :D
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Just played 13th Floor Elevators' version. Guitar, bass, drums and jug to the fore. Vocals way back in the mix.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

I have the pleasure of Patti Smith's company next Monday in Manchester. She's performing Horses in its entirety - cracking version of her adapted version of G-L-O-R-I-A expected. Seen her before - incredibly powerful performer. Top stuff.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Mellor wrote:I have the pleasure of Patti Smith's company next Monday in Manchester. She's performing Horses in its entirety - cracking version of her adapted version of G-L-O-R-I-A expected. Seen her before - incredibly powerful performer. Top stuff.

Wow! Very jealous, Mr M. Off to a gig in Saturday (local guy Gaz Brookfield) and then off to the Isle of Wight Festival next week - Fleetwood Mac, Blur etc. Not bands I'd normally see but not bands I'd avoid either.
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

Good weather forecast I believe - enjoy the IOW. I'm no late period Mac fan either but they certainly have what it takes to put on a show so should be worth seeing.
attacco decente
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

All the answers :-

1. Waits at the window wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door. - Eleanor. (Eleanor Rigby, The Beatles) - Mellor

2. Hitch hiked her way cross the USA, plucked her eyebrows on the way. - Holly. (Walk on the wild side, Lou Reed) - Mellor

3. She invented medicinal compound. - Lily. (Lily the Pink, Scaffold) - Mr R

4. Your lips feel like winter, your skin has turned to white. - Lady D'Arbanville. (Lady D'Arbanville, Cat Stevens)

5. She got a police bike, she got a turned up nose. - Jean. (Blue Jean, David Bowie)

6. Thought she was a woman but she was another man. - Loretta. (Get Back, The Beatles) - Sniffer

7. Words mean so little when you look up and smile. - Clair. (Clair, Gilbert O'Sullivan)

8. But I heard you let that little friend of mine take off your party dress. -Alison. (Alison, Elvis Costello) - Mellor (1st to get it)

9. I just gotta talk to her, I'll only keep her a while. - Sylvia. (Sylvia's Mother, Dr. Hook) - Davy

10. What'll you do when you get lonely and nobody waiting by your side. - Layla. (Layla, Derek and the Dominoes) - Sniffer

11. She's the waitress who wants to be a star. - Rachel. (Picture Postcards from LA., Joshua Kadison)

12. You got me rockin and a rollin, rockin and a reelin. - Barbara Ann. (Barbara Ann, Beach Boys) - Davy

13. The stars won't come out if they know you're about. - Candida. (Candida, Tony Orlando and Dawn)

14. Now she's gone and I have to say, meet you all the way, meet you all the way. - Rosanna. (Rosanna, Toto) - Sniffer

15. Her dog days just begun, now everybody is on the run. - Janie. (Janie's got a gun, Aerosmith)

16. You're beautiful but ain't it time we said goodbye. - Angie. (Angie, Rolling Stones)

17. And she never walk down Lime street any more. - Maggie Mae. (Maggie Mae, trad. Beatles) - Sniffer

18. She's leavin now cause I heard the slammin of the door. - Ruby. (Ruby, don't take your love to town, Kenny Rogers) - Davy

19. Do you ever dream of me, do you ever see the letters that I write? - Nikita. (Nikita, Elton John) - Brighouse

20. I like the way you walk I like the way you talk. - Suzie Q. (Suzie Q, Creedence Clearwater Revival) - Cheffy

21. On a barstool she took off her ring. - Lucille. (Lucille, Kenny Rogers) - Davy

22. The morning sun when it's on your face really shows your age. - Maggie. (Maggie May, Rod Stewart) - Sniffer

23. 42, 39, 56, you could say she's got it all. - Rosie. (Whole lotta Rosie, AC DC) - Sniffer

24. Well you kissed me and stopped me from shaking. - Mandy. (Mandy, Barry Manilow) - Davy

25. Do you smile to tempt a lover. - Mona Lisa. (Mona Lisa, Nat King Cole) - Sniffer

26. She's singing hey la my boyfriends back. - Juliet. (Romeo and Juliet, Dire Straits) - Sniffer

27. You don't have to wear that dress tonight. - Roxanne. (Roxanne, Police) - Mellor

28. He said "son, now don't be silly, she's been dead since 1929." - Lily. (Pictures of Lily, The Who) - Brighouse

29. You fill up my senses like a night in the forest. - Annie. (Annie's Song, John Denver) - Davy

30. I'm a blonde single girl in the fantasy world. - Barbie. (Barbie Girl, Aqua) - Davy

31. I played the janitor you played the monitor. - Carrie Anne. (Carrie Anne, Hollies) - Sniffer

32. The empty sidewalks on my block are not the same, you're not to blame. - Renee. (Walk Away Renee, The Left Banke)

33. Hold your head up you silly girl. - Martha. (Martha my dear, The Beatles) - Sniffer

34. Ooh you make my motor run, my motor run. - Sharona. (My Sharona, The Knack) - Sniffer

35. And she feeds you tea and oranges that come all the way from China. -Suzanne. (Suzanne, Leonard Cohen) - Sniffer

36. Just about five feet four from her head to the ground. - Gloria. (Gloria, Them) - Sniffer

37. I could see that girl was no good for me. - Delilah. (Delilah, Tom Jones) - Cheffy

38. You're my pride and joy et cetera. - Eleanor. (Eleanor, Turtles) - Sniffer

39. At the age of 37 she realised she'd never ride thru Paris in a sports car. - Lucy. (The Ballad of Lucy Jordan, Marianne Faithfull) - Davy

40. You're not at all that funny awkard little girl I knew. - Gigi. (Gigi, Louis Jordan)

Great effort everybody :clap: :clap: :clap:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
big jon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by big jon »

Even though i never answered any :oops: I knew a few of them but peeps got in before me :roll:
Just to say what a fantastic Quiz.
Cheers Selby White :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Mellor wrote:Good weather forecast I believe - enjoy the IOW. I'm no late period Mac fan either but they certainly have what it takes to put on a show so should be worth seeing.
Thanks for that, Mellor. You're more of a Peter Green era fan, then. I first heard those albums as a gauche 18 year old in a bar in Minehead, Somerset. I was working at the Butlins there, dreaming of That'll Be The Day and being treated as a chattel of the management. I'd wandered in to town, heard this music and stood there, mouth open in wonder, for a couple of hours. Marvellous stuff. I finally got to see Green play, on a double bill with John Mayall, about 6 or 7 years ago. He wasn't a well man, sadly, but it was an honour to hear him play. Mayall, who must be 10 years his senior, was jumping around all over the place.
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

I prefer the blues based Mac to the pop version as you say sniffer but tbf to the later model they did write some cracking pop songs and a good pop song is a work of genius, for me, music being at its best on 45 on a juke box (soul & reggae & even jazz really come into their own on 45 I think). Never did see Green whose tone is heart stopping but I did see Mayall in 70. Great days.
attacco decente
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Mellor wrote:I prefer the blues based Mac to the pop version as you say sniffer but tbf to the later model they did write some cracking pop songs and a good pop song is a work of genius, for me, music being at its best on 45 on a juke box (soul & reggae & even jazz really come into their own on 45 I think). Never did see Green whose tone is heart stopping but I did see Mayall in 70. Great days.
I have to agree. Pure pop can lift the soul if it's good. The 45, when done well, was a distillation of all that you could ever love. A true joy.
1970? So that was post-Mick Taylor, just as Mayall was getting into his rootsy/Americana stage. I've just looked for a double album compilation of his from that time and I've got a horrible feeling the ex-wife still has it. Looks like I need to visit my local record shop. Money out but soul replenished. ;)