Songs you don't want to admit to liking ?

Engage in some light-hearted challenges to test your knowledge and wits
Deleted User 728

Re: Songs you don't want to admit to liking ?

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Emley White wrote:Come on guys, Abba are one of THE greatest groups ever.
I joined a band about fifteen years ago as lead singer having never been in a group before.
I can't play anything, but was a DJ and worked in a record shop so why the heck not, right ?

It really opened my eyes to a whole different side to music and your statement reminds me one of the first conversations my band-mates and I had about the "rules" of being in a group.
One of them was about the stuff you could - and more importantly - could not play.
Remember that scene in Wayne's World where they go into a music store and there's a sign up by the guitar section with "NO STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN" on it ?
That song came up along with anything by The Beatles, Elvis and Deep Purple's Smoke On The Water.

Abba are unquestionably one of the best bands of all time, certainly one of the most commercially successful (remember the event that was the movie coming out in cinemas ?) and also one of the most influential, albeit in an indirect way given they latched on to the disco thing in the same way, say, that The Rolling Stones channelled the blues through their own sound.

... BUT I wish I could have had a sign saying "NO DANCING QUEEN" when DJing a wedding :ugeek:
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Nothing but respect for Abba, as I said, they're one of the greatest pop bands ever. The Day Before You Came is grand as well, Blancmange covered it :D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:Vintage TV is great for this kinda stuff.

All that soft rock is right up there - Chicago, Foreigner, Toto, etc - and funnily enough I bought the Dickies single on yellow vinyl and then the album, which was on bright orange vinyl :)

Abba though ?
I generally can't stand them mainly because whenever I DJed a party someone would always ask for Dancing Queen.
I think they're very clever but the pop/disco crossover thing was too much.
Eagle is a beautiful song by them though, so let's have a bit of that next - some great guitar work along with a nice bit of flute :

How dare you knock Agnetha ... I spent many a day AND night thinking that she was the rear from the famous blonde tennis poster.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Fiona Walker, 53 years old in this photo from 2011 but 18 when the original photo was taken in 1976 :ugeek:

Here's another one ..
I actually own the album on vinyl 8-)

Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:Image

Fiona Walker, 53 years old in this photo from 2011 but 18 when the original photo was taken in 1976 :ugeek:

Saw that when it was in the papers when it came out a few years ago http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... rs-on.html

Wasn't really into browsing records but never could resist a shop with those posters on double sided frames like massive upturned rolodex. Now theres another blast from the past.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
One Eyed Thompson
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by One Eyed Thompson »

I've heard this a couple of times lately. It always come as a bit of a shock when you realize, after the first few bars, that it's Cliff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Rigger.
NB - if you want to embed YouTube vids, just use the "youtube" button but only copy and paste the very last part of the URL, ie the bit after the "=" sign.
EXAMPLE :
In this case, the original post contained the whole URL for the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[b]7tuAkdlLhTE[/b] - but it's only the bit in bold you need to copy and put between the two parts of the youtube button - [youtube]here[/youtube] - to get it to work :)
Deleted User 728

Ha !
Nice choice :)

To be fair to Cliff, yeah he's a cheesy old god-botherer (and I hope that's all he's bothered) but he was alright in the late 50s and early 60s and there were a couple of good tunes in the 70s too, like the one you've chosen.
Plus, Summer Holiday is a genuinely brilliant movie :D
Deleted User 728

Phil Collins = very punchable face, smug git, MOR merchant who turned Genesis from a great prog band into chart-topping stadium wankrockers

Phillip Bailey = incredible vocalist and an integral part of one of the greatest bands of all time IMHO

Great song, terrible video :D

johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover - Vera Lynn. Most nostalgic song I have ever heard. Even now, if I close my eyes when I hear it, I am transported back to war-time and air-raid shelters. Really uncanny.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Songs, or even just a melody or a refrain from a classical piece can be extremely emotive.

I'm sure for every "our tune" that's shared between lovers, there's also another track that the same people can't bear hearing because it reminds them of a lost love.

I love how music forms a kind of mental diary too - certain records can call to mind a job, a school, or some kind of a regular event in the past.