Songs you don't want to admit to liking ?

Engage in some light-hearted challenges to test your knowledge and wits
Deleted User 728

Songs you don't want to admit to liking ?

Post by Deleted User 728 »

NEW GAME !

The title is self-explanatory really and this is really just an extension of the "Guilty Pleasures" concept from about fifteen years ago when there was a regular club night in London with the same name followed by a series of (excellent !) compilation albums :

ImageImageImage

Of course, this is all totally subjective : personally I think ELO and Dolly Parton are all fantastic artists who should be celebrated for their work but they both have tracks on the collections.
Another band I love but who are widely ridiculed are Level 42.
Really, it's just pop music and generally I am a complete snob about it but I do like some stuff.

So I'll get the ball rolling - you can just list the song and artist/version if it's a cover or you can post a YouTube video ..

I actually bought her album way back in the day and it's only just recently that I found out it was one of the first produced by Stock, Aitken and Waterman of all people :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
My shock has been tempered by the fact she also worked with Osibisa, one of the most interesting bands I've ever heard :ugeek:

Over to you now ..
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Songs you don't want to admit to liking ?

Post by Another Northern Soul »

I've always been ultra cool in my music tastes. Honest :lol:

Ones I bought when I was 11 or so and just 'learning' my tastes in pop music which might be embarrassing to admit were, Abba's Money Money Money, Chicago's If You Leave Me Now, Leo Sayer's When I Need You, 'Romeo' by Mr Big (?), Northern Lights by Renaissance. And then there were all the Dickies singles including the Banana Splits theme tune.

In more recent years I've bought a fair few 70s disco compilations which is surprising as I absolutely detested disco in the 70s and 80s.

Level 42's a good one to mention, rigger, I never liked them but I did respect them due to King's bass playing and its distinctive sound. I've always generally tried to see whatever positives there are in songs, sometimes it's nigh on impossible to actually spot anything positive but at least I try :P

I even liked Bryan Adams' Robin Hood song. I bought, years later, Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time and still have it!
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Last night watched BBC 4 showing top of the pops clips from the early 60's to 1975.
Really enjoyed it, 90 minutes of good entertainment and will admit to liking the Osmonds doing Crazy Horses.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Selby White wrote:Last night watched BBC 4 showing top of the pops clips from the early 60's to 1975.
Really enjoyed it, 90 minutes of good entertainment and will admit to liking the Osmonds doing Crazy Horses.
A great song. I loved the Sweet in those days but couldn't take to Slade because of Noddy's vocals. I love 'em now.
Deleted User 728

Vintage TV is great for this kinda stuff.

All that soft rock is right up there - Chicago, Foreigner, Toto, etc - and funnily enough I bought the Dickies single on yellow vinyl and then the album, which was on bright orange vinyl :)

Abba though ?
I generally can't stand them mainly because whenever I DJed a party someone would always ask for Dancing Queen.
I think they're very clever but the pop/disco crossover thing was too much.
Eagle is a beautiful song by them though, so let's have a bit of that next - some great guitar work along with a nice bit of flute :

Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

TBF Money Money Money still has a better tune/beat than most of their stuff. I couldn't bring myself to hate them and I'm glad really as they're still one of the best pop bands ever. 'Does Your Mother Know' is great too but I only bought that one single. What was I, 11? Not too shameful really :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Selby White wrote:Last night watched BBC 4 showing top of the pops clips from the early 60's to 1975.
A great song. I loved the Sweet in those days but couldn't take to Slade because of Noddy's vocals. I love 'em now.
Glam Rock was my first music era, still listen to many of them, loved Slade after seeing them at Queens Hall in Leeds. Sweet, Mott the Hoople, T Rex, all great bands from a time music was fun.

Not forgetting such as Mud, Showaddywaddy, Darts and Rubettes, great party songs for us young teenagers, if you've not danced to Tiger Feet you've never danced. ;)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I often find myself singing along to Take That when it comes on at work, whilst I would never admit to being a fan. Some of their songs are stuck in my head for some strange reason? :?
Deleted User 728

Darts !

What a great band.
I loved the retro fifties stuff like that plus they had a bit of soul and four lead singers :D

Den Hegarty was a hoot but Rita Ray ... ooooooh, mama :crazy: :o :P :D :silent:
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

Another Northern Soul wrote:TBF Money Money Money still has a better tune/beat than most of their stuff. I couldn't bring myself to hate them and I'm glad really as they're still one of the best pop bands ever. 'Does Your Mother Know' is great too but I only bought that one single. What was I, 11? Not too shameful really :D
Come on guys, Abba are one of THE greatest groups ever. You're mentioning a few singles here when you really ought to check out the albums for their better stuff. 'Arrival' is in my all time top 10 of favourites, check out 'That's Me' , 'When I Kissed The Teacher' and 'Dum Dum Diddle' to name but 3. All these could and should have been singles. I agree with Rigger re 'Dancing Queen' and get sick of playing it so on a Friday night I introduce the punters to the odd album track. Another couple of belters are 'If It Wasn't For The Nights' and 'As Good As New' both tried and tested by me on Fridays and always get a good reaction.