Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: So You remember Leeds Utd in the 80's

Post by Mr Russell »

ilkley62 wrote:
BrighouseWhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:
BrighouseWhite wrote:
13. Who was Howard Wilkinson 5 big signings in preparation for the 89/90 promotion season ?
Strachan, Fairclough, Vinnie Jones, Sterland. Will say Chapman as 5th but I'm sure he joined during the season
:
Its not Chapman, you are correct he joined later in the season.
Now there is the start of the 90's quiz naffed up, lol
Ooops, sorry
:oops:
Mickey Thomas & Carl Shutt to add to Strachan, Fairclough & Vinnie ( mind you Starchan signed end of 88/89 mmm.....)[/quote]

Strachan and Fairclough came at the same time and played against Portsmouth the season before (1988/89) and Shutt was the same season and scored a hat-trick against Bournemouth. Chapman came in January of the 1989/90 season. Forgot about Thomas he only played 3 times and was off. Always got that O'Donnell guy in my head who played once in that amazing game vs Hull that year.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: So You remember Leeds Utd in the 80's

Post by Selby White »

Just to clarify question 13, the answer does include Strachan & Fairclough. As Mr R rightly points out they did sign in the season previous (March). That of course was too late to influence that season so I considered it in preparation for the title push season. The question didn't mention close season.
The other 3 have all been mentioned as Vinnie, Sterland and Beglin (although injuries effected the Jim's career here).

Apologies for any misunderstanding.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.