where in the world

Engage in some light-hearted challenges to test your knowledge and wits
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: where in the world

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:
rigger wrote:I've thought about Rome and Milan but neither are right, I don't think. Yeah, a clue I think please mate.
Actually the location is not too far from Leeds!

Apologies but I tried to stick to the original one word format probably creating more confusion.....

Like Rigger was thinking Rome.

But not far from Leeds?

Well Ripon has a racecourse and Cathedral.

Fountain could be Fountains Abbey (that's just hit me) but can't link the other two clues.
Well done SW :thumbup: :thumbup:

The first missing clue is that there is a ceremony dating continuously from the year 886 that the Watchman or Wakeman blows his horn at each corner of the market square at 9 AM every day

I'm a bit more shakey on this one but Ripon was the earliest place to receive city status.

A personal angle is that my aunt & uncle ran the newsagents on North Street and is the setting for a number of childhood memories.

Take it away Mick!
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Shoes, Trams, Castle, Bridges, Baths.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:Shoes, Trams, Castle, Bridges, Baths.
Is it Budapest?

It certainly has, in typical central European style, trams as well as a castle. There are number of picturesque bridges across the Danube and it is also famous for its thermal spas.

But shoes?? :lol:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

That threw me too, H. I couldn't get past Northampton :D
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

rigger wrote:That threw me too, H. I couldn't get past Northampton :D
Subsequently read that there's a memorial comprised of pairs of shoes on the banks of the Danube to commemerate the spot where Jews were murdered in WWII.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

That's correct MW, it's a memorial to the Jews that were shot by local Fascists that helped the Nazis. Apparently they shot them along the bank of the Danube so the bodies would fall in the river but not before making them take their shoes off.
The Memorial is made up of 60 pairs of Iron Shoes and if ever you visit Budapest you will walk past if you go from the stunning Parliament building to the Chain Bridge (most famous bridge).
Can highly recommend Budapest probably my favourite European City :thumbup:

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:That's correct MW, it's a memorial to the Jews that were shot by local Fascists that helped the Nazis. Apparently they shot them along the bank of the Danube so the bodies would fall in the river but not before making them take their shoes off.
The Memorial is made up of 60 pairs of Iron Shoes and if ever you visit Budapest you will walk past if you go from the stunning Parliament building to the Chain Bridge (most famous bridge).
Can highly recommend Budapest probably my favourite European City :thumbup:

I've been to Budapest a few times and visited the magnificent parliament buidling with a local but I wasn't shown the shoes memorial.

Yes Budapest is one of Europe's gems, reasonably priced too, but I get frustrated by the inpenetrable language :crazy: :lol:

I'm off to put my thinking cap on.....
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

I went to Budapest, it is an amazing place, I didn't see the shoes though. Wish I had.

When my friend and I went up to the castle it was closed for repairs sadly and it was a misty day, so no view. Saying that I sat upstairs on an open top bus in November all the way there and all the way back fantastic.

One of my favourite things was the leaning street bollards. I have a mug from the market that also leans. Its my favourite mug.
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

Managed to keep it to a single word in German; English translations are longer :D

Stephansdom (St Stephen's cathedral)

Heuriger (this year's wine)

Prater

Tafelspitz (Topside of beef)

Hofreitschule (Horse riding school)
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Somewhere southern and rural if it's Germany itself, otherwise anywhere in Austria.. Don't know Bavaria at all but I'll guess Munich.