Prediction Games - Opinions please

Engage in some light-hearted challenges to test your knowledge and wits
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Prediction Games - Opinions please

Post by Selby White »

I've been toying around with a few ideas for the prediction games.

Currently we are possibly coming to the end of the current "seven up" game and although i think its a good format which we should continue how does anyone fancy these :-

Prediction Snooker
Prediction Golf
Prediction Formula One

Don't worry they are football based predctions but using the various Sports formats to score (tactics would play their part).
Not as complicated as may sound its still a case of picking the winner for a match (you just score better going for the harder to pick option but take more risk).

Eg, Provisional Snooker Rules -

1. Each weekend for 15 weeks (Fri to Mon) you pick a team from the Championsip to win.
2. These count as Red Balls and score one point.
3. You can only pick a team once (so will use 15 different teams over the period).
4. You can pick same as anyone else in any given round.
5. If your Red is potted (team wins) you have the option of going for a colour mid-week (tues to thurs)
6. Colours you will have a number of matches to choose from (yellow 2pts, Green 3pts, Brown 4pts, Blue 5pts, Pink 6pts and Black 7pts)
7. The higher colours will be the harder to predict games.
8. Following the 15 weeks of reds the colours will be attempted in order as per snooker (6 weeks ?)

Any questions please ask.

Who is up for giving it a go ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Re: Prediction Games - Opinions please

Post by Deleted User 728 »

First impressions are that it would be complicated : not only for the player to understand but also for you, as gamesmaster, to administer.

Having said that, I'm now thinking about pool and a game that would see two players drawn against each other :
1. Toss up - both players get to pick a game from the starting week and whoever's team wins gets to break. If they both win, the highest score breaks. If they both win, say, 2-0, then whoever scored earliest breaks
2. From the break, if the winning player's team wins he gets to "stay on" and build a break/clear up while the other player sits and waits. The difference is the other player chooses the game that he has to predict.
3. If the prediction is wrong, the losing player sits down and up steps the other guy who must now predict the match picked by the player who failed to pot the last ball/made the wrong prediction.
4. Keep going till one player has potted his 7 balls. He then moves on to the black where he must not only win, but nominate the pocket. To do this he must pick an outcome, eg score draw, win by one goal, two goals, etc. If he fails, the play switches back to the other guy, till one wins.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

And now I've re-read all that it's even more complicated than yours ! :D
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:I've been toying around with a few ideas for the prediction games.

Currently we are possibly coming to the end of the current "seven up" game and although i think its a good format which we should continue how does anyone fancy these :-

Prediction Snooker
Prediction Golf
Prediction Formula One

Don't worry they are football based predctions but using the various Sports formats to score (tactics would play their part).
Not as complicated as may sound its still a case of picking the winner for a match (you just score better going for the harder to pick option but take more risk).

1. Each weekend for 15 weeks (Fri to Mon) you pick a team from the Championsip to win.
3. You can only pick a team once (so will use 15 different teams over the period).
5. If your Red is potted (team wins) you have the option of going for a colour mid-week (tues to thurs)
6. Colours you will have a number of matches to choose from (yellow 2pts, Green 3pts, Brown 4pts, Blue 5pts, Pink 6pts and Black 7pts)
8. Following the 15 weeks of reds the colours will be attempted in order as per snooker (6 weeks ?)

This sounds bloody brilliant, hard work on your part to say the least, but I’m bang up for this one. It will also eliminate the first come, gets the best pick on the seven up game.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:And now I've re-read all that it's even more complicated than yours ! :D
Don't think it's as complicated as it reads, first each week everyone just picks a team from a specific league (I said championship).

Hence each player basically administers their own, using 15 different teams over 15 weekends.

The admin is the colours and selecting matches as required.
It's not individual games with 2 players everyone is in the same game.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote:I've been toying around with a few ideas for the prediction games.

Prediction Snooker
Prediction Golf
Prediction Formula One

This sounds bloody brilliant, hard work on your part to say the least, but I’m bang up for this one. It will also eliminate the first come, gets the best pick on the seven up game.
Yes it does which is good, the admin wouldn't be an issue for me. :thumbup:
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Sounds good if you're up for it :thumbup:

Slightly off topic. We invented a game for quiz nights based on Cricket.
Each team could chose an easy question 1 run which the team could confer on or 6 runs with no conferring. These where the fielding team.
Who ever answered the question either got the run(s) if correct or was bowled out if it was wrong and lost a life. Each player had two lives.
There were 50 questions (50 overs) 30 singles and 20 sixes.
When either all the questions were asked or the whole team had been bowled out the teams changed around.
The team with the most runs won.
It did becaome very tactical with who answered questions depending on scores.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
hashtagleedsunited
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by hashtagleedsunited »

Definitely up for the original proposal, I think it could be exciting.
It would be great to see an increase in the number of players taking part.... would you consider sending a PM to all members, to increase awareness, that it is open to ALL members on the forum, and not just a "perceived" select few regular members?

(If allowed to mention this also....
Does LUFC talk have an elite team of predictors on the Superbru site?
If so, it could be fun to integrate the match predictions / results with our own prediction games)

(Also, I would love to compete with other fan bases / fora thru the Superbru, its really quite good fun and enjoyable)

[Note to Mods: Please edit / delete any reference to an external site if necessary]]
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc wrote:Sounds good if you're up for it :thumbup:

Slightly off topic. We invented a game for quiz nights based on Cricket.
Each team could chose an easy question 1 run which the team could confer on or 6 runs with no conferring. These where the fielding team.
Who ever answered the question either got the run(s) if correct or was bowled out if it was wrong and lost a life. Each player had two lives.
There were 50 questions (50 overs) 30 singles and 20 sixes.
When either all the questions were asked or the whole team had been bowled out the teams changed around.
The team with the most runs won.
It did becaome very tactical with who answered questions depending on scores.
Interesting sort of similar lines to my thinking of matching up with different sports.
Cricket is certainly one worth thinking about.

Think Snooker is my fav to start at this stage.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

hashtagleedsunited wrote:Definitely up for the original proposal, I think it could be exciting.
It would be great to see an increase in the number of players taking part.... would you consider sending a PM to all members, to increase awareness, that it is open to ALL members on the forum, and not just a "perceived" select few regular members?

(If allowed to mention this also....
Does LUFC talk have an elite team of predictors on the Superbru site?
If so, it could be fun to integrate the match predictions / results with our own prediction games)

(Also, I would love to compete with other fan bases / fora thru the Superbru, its really quite good fun and enjoyable)

[Note to Mods: Please edit / delete any reference to an external site if necessary]]
Agree Hash it would be great to get more members but not all members are on here every week to play.

All the fun games are open to all and numbers do fluctuate occasionally although we have a small group that support the games well.
Still appreciate its not for everyone. Great thing about the forum is something is there for everyone if they look.