How to upload an avatar

A quick introduction to LUFCtalk and some brief guidelines.
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

The new forum doesn't allow us to upload avatars to users' profiles directly, and there are restrictions on the images you can upload yourself, as they won't be resized. So they need to fit into 125x125 dimensions and be no larger than about 70KB.

There is a way to help you select an avatar though, and that is by choosing one from a gallery that the admins can upload to. I've placed a few of the avatars used by the users in the old forum there. Here's how to use it:

Go to User Control Panel - Profile - Edit avatar. In the bottom row of buttons, click on Display gallery. Select one of the images, then click submit, and it should be changed! Considering most of the images there are traditionally associated with particular users, please be sensible, i.e. don't no one nick NW's profile picture! :D

If you have a particular image that you'd like to use, let us know by sending a private message to either myself or sheepy, or email us via the advertised email address.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

How to upload an avatar

Post by Sheepy »

Here is a quick step by step on how to upload yourself a snazzy avatar. (Unfortunately your old avatars from the previous forum platform have not carried over into the new one).

Step 1.
Click on user control panel (located top left, underneath Board Index)

Step 2.
Click on the profile tab.

Step 3.
Click on 'Edit Avatar'

Step 4.
To upload the image from your own computer, click on 'choose file' where it says 'upload from your machine'.
Remember the maximum dimensions of an avatar image is 125 pixels x 125 pixels, file size 68k.

Most image editing programs can resize images to those dimensions, you can also resize an image online at - http://www.picresize.com/

There is also an option to upload a picture from an URL. Simply copy and paste in the url of the location of the picture. Again, the maximum dimensions apply so you will have to be aware of how big the picture is.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :thumbup:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: How to upload an avatar

Post by Barlow Boy »

Whilst Dave's away, and as a bit of advertising for his new book (yes, I have read it and it is excellent) :thumbup:, I have 'nicked' his for the time being.

All my photo's appear to be too big at the minute, some work to do this afternoon :crazy:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

BB, check the gallery again, your picture should be there now.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

BB, your avatar is now in the gallery :-) :thumbup:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Cheers guys, feel much better now :clap:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Vince Hilaire
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Vince Hilaire »

Ive uploaded my avatar, but how do I get rid of the 'Ken Bates shrink' underneath my username?

Cheers mi' dears.
any old iron
+15
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by +15 »

Vince Hilaire wrote:Ive uploaded my avatar, but how do I get rid of the 'Ken Bates shrink' underneath my username?

Cheers mi' dears.
It depends on how many posts you have made.
Vince Hilaire
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Vince Hilaire »

+15 wrote:
Vince Hilaire wrote:Ive uploaded my avatar, but how do I get rid of the 'Ken Bates shrink' underneath my username?

Cheers mi' dears.
It depends on how many posts you have made.
Trickiness.Cheers pal.
any old iron