Eyup

Introduce yourself here
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Eyup

Post by dlw10 »

Frankie wrote:I've been on here for a few weeks, but I didn't introduce myself before, partly because I am female and forums such as these tend to be male dominated and it is often easier to be anonymous. I like this forum because people have respect for each other's opinions and don't constantly use expletive deletive language at each other.

I have been a Leeds supporter for nearly 50 years. I am not lucky enough to be able to go to games very often for a few reasons, but it is on my 'bucket list' to eventually be able to become a season ticket holder....... And for those who go to most matches, and think that we, who can't get to all of the matches are lesser beings, (I know there are some) then really you are the lucky ones! Have you tried listening to the match on-line; tried to find a dodgy stream or fast forwarded and re-winded for ages to find the 'blink and you miss it' 1 minute of goals on The Football League Show!!- It's not the same!!

I was born in Leeds, but I am now unlucky enough to live in Derby. As a teenager, years ago, I used to go to games, with my dad. I have been to most football grounds in the Midlands and quite a few others around the country, quite a few of which, now no longer exist. I have some fantastic memories of watching my team and was present at the Baseball Ground on the night when Francis Lee and Norman Hunter had their infamous tussle!! I also once nearly had my head knocked off by a Peter Lorimer thunder bolt at Notts County - scary stuff for a teenager with no heading skills! I also remember getting all the way Forest's ground with 100s of other fans, only to find the place swamped with fog and the match postponed!!
Great intro to yourself - it's always good to get some background about who we are talking with! There are other ladies present too!
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Thanks for your welcomes, good to know there are other women on here.

Places like this are a life-line to those of us who live away from the club. It is really good to get independent and intelligent viewpoints from others and especially those that get to go to the matches regularly. I have mentioned before that I left one forum which became full of tirades of unpleasant, unbalanced and prejudiced name calling of, the manager, the players and just about anyone at the club and anyone who didn't agree with a particular viewpoint. it is a pleasure to talk to like minded folk on here!
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Welcome aboard frankie :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Alright Frankie

Welcome and you are the same vintage as a lot of us on here, see It's an Age Thing in General Chat. I was also at the Baseball Ground that day ;)

Phil
Big welcome in to Frankie. :wave: :thumbup:

P.S. I was also at t'Baseball Ground, ont Popside, on 'that' day! :o
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Frankie wrote:I've been on here for a few weeks, but I didn't introduce myself before, partly because I am female and forums such as these tend to be male dominated and it is often easier to be anonymous. I like this forum because people have respect for each other's opinions and don't constantly use expletive deletive language at each other.

I have been a Leeds supporter for nearly 50 years. I am not lucky enough to be able to go to games very often for a few reasons, but it is on my 'bucket list' to eventually be able to become a season ticket holder....... And for those who go to most matches, and think that we, who can't get to all of the matches are lesser beings, (I know there are some) then really you are the lucky ones! Have you tried listening to the match on-line; tried to find a dodgy stream or fast forwarded and re-winded for ages to find the 'blink and you miss it' 1 minute of goals on The Football League Show!!- It's not the same!!

I was born in Leeds, but I am now unlucky enough to live in Derby. As a teenager, years ago, I used to go to games, with my dad. I have been to most football grounds in the Midlands and quite a few others around the country, quite a few of which, now no longer exist. I have some fantastic memories of watching my team and was present at the Baseball Ground on the night when Francis Lee and Norman Hunter had their infamous tussle!! I also once nearly had my head knocked off by a Peter Lorimer thunder bolt at Notts County - scary stuff for a teenager with no heading skills! I also remember getting all the way Forest's ground with 100s of other fans, only to find the place swamped with fog and the match postponed!!
Welcome aboard the forum Frankie!

That's a good turn of phrase about Derby. I moved there from London in 1979, and when I went back after a few weeks my friends asked me 'what's Derby like?' to which I replied 'it's got one saving grace and it's called Nottingham'. Didn't take long to work that out.

My first digs were on Empress Road (just off Burton Road) and I used to be able to walk to the Baseball Ground. I remember seeing the European Cup winning Aston Villa team win 3-0 there, watching from the famous pop side. No Leeds' match really sticks in the memory. There's two possible explanations i) they were dreary 2nd division affairs or ii) my mates from Leeds who'd come down bought me several pints in the Duke of Northumberland before the game.

Do you remember the mid-week game at Forest when the Leeds' fans were chanting 'Tina, Tina' at Peter Shilton behind his goal? He cleared a goal kick straight to Carl Harris who promptly scored.

As regards being able to watch games. Daily Motion seems to be a reliable source. For example here are the goals from yesterday:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1nw78 ... lufc_sport

(apologies for the advert)

And when Leeds are on live the forum members let each other know where it might be watched.

Anyway enjoy it here :)

Howard

PS: I'm in Mapperley Nottingham, not the one near Ilkeston.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Deleted User 2747

mapperleywhite wrote:

Welcome aboard the forum Frankie!

That's a good turn of phrase about Derby. I moved there from London in 1979, and when I went back after a few weeks my friends asked me 'what's Derby like?' to which I replied 'it's got one saving grace and it's called Nottingham'. Didn't take long to work that out.

My first digs were on Empress Road (just off Burton Road) and I used to be able to walk to the Baseball Ground. I remember seeing the European Cup winning Aston Villa team win 3-0 there, watching from the famous pop side. No Leeds' match really sticks in the memory. There's two possible explanations i) they were dreary 2nd division affairs or ii) my mates from Leeds who'd come down bought me several pints in the Duke of Northumberland before the game.

Do you remember the mid-week game at Forest when the Leeds' fans were chanting 'Tina, Tina' at Peter Shilton behind his goal? He cleared a goal kick straight to Carl Harris who promptly scored.

As regards being able to watch games. Daily Motion seems to be a reliable source. For example here are the goals from yesterday:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1nw78 ... lufc_sport

(apologies for the advert)

And when Leeds are on live the forum members let each other know where it might be watched.

Anyway enjoy it here :)

Howard

PS: I'm in Mapperley Nottingham, not the one near Ilkeston.

I do remember that Derby v Leeds was more often than not dull and dreary and invariably a 0 v 0 draw. The Baseball Ground was more usually more like a mud bog!

One thing if Derby get promoted, then I will no longer have to suffer the humiliation of Leeds losing to them more often than not.
Deleted User 2747

NottinghamWhite wrote:

That was funny!! Brought back some memories!

My school friend and I used to love Frankie Gray - Hence the name!! We (me and her - not Frankie!) still go to the matches together when we can.
Deleted User 2747

Does anyone have favourite players from back in the 70's?

Mine were Frankie ( a girl thing! )

Eddie Gray, because he was just awesome to watch as he dribbled that ball down the wing!

Tony Currie cos he had great skill and made it all look so easy.

Allan Clarke and Norman Hunter for being Allan Clarke and Norman Hunter!