Hi, thanks for allowing me to join this Forum.

Introduce yourself here
Chris Abbott
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Hi, thanks for allowing me to join this Forum.

Post by Chris Abbott »

Many thanks to NottinghamWhite for pointing me in the direction of LUFCTALK.

My family, from Harrogate, have supported Leeds United since the club was formed. My Grandad, born in 1898, was a supporter and he got me interested. He died in 1967 but I had the pleasure of watching the 1965 cup final on TV with him. My dad, my brothers and I were lucky enough to be there during the glory days and at the League and FA Cup finals.

My first game at Elland Road was on 15th March 1965 when I was 14 and I travelled from Starbeck on a Pynes Coach. Are they still going, never seen one for years? We beat Burnley 5-1 and I stood in the West Stand paddock. After that it was into the Scratching Shed. Happy days of my life in there until the Gelderd end was built. I remember how crushed we were in the record crowd verses Sunderland in the cup. I also remember the night Celtic invaded the Shed. They got in behind, pushed us down to the front, out sung us and beat us as well. We used to get the train from Harrogate to matches and a lovely blond lass, used to get on at Horsforth and we would stand with her in the shed. I wish I could remember her name. There was a lad called Wilko who would get taken out most games and there was a regular chant of "Wilko's in the nick." Can't remember the name of the lad that led the singing but I often think we could do with him now.

These days, as a season ticket holder in the North Stand, I travel from my home in Redcar with my son Mark (to home matches) and my grandson Daniel (9) (both home and away). Daniel was a mascot for the last home game of 2012/13. That is five generations on my family loyally linked to Leeds United throughout the club's history. On 6th November 2011 my wife came with us to Leicester and went shopping in the city centre with our grandaughter Charlotte, whilst Daniel and I went to the the match. Leicester 0-1 Leeds. Sadly my wife died that night after making the day special for us all. She had attended the match against Coventry City at Elland Road a couple of weeks before and gasped along with all of us when the Sky Blues snatched a last minute equaliser.
Last edited by Chris Abbott on 30 Jul 2013, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
Always use Yorkshire as part of your postal address from the River Tees to the River Humber.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Hi, thanks for allowing me to join this Forum.

Post by Barlow Boy »

Hi Chris,

That's a great little potted history for the first post :thumbup:, enjoyed reading that with my morning cuppa.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

BB
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Welcome Chris

RamseyWhite on here is roughly your age and a Harrogate lad. I saw my first game back in 1967 also aged 14. Like yourself I was priveledge to have watched the Revie Era team and attended the 1970 FAC Final and replay plus the 1972 and 73 Finals.
Think you'll like it on here.
MOT

Phil
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Hope you and family recovered from your wife's death, Chris, that's a bit of a shock to read at the end of such a post! All the best :)
Jeje-58
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Jeje-58 »

Welcome here Chris, and sorry to hear about your loss, good post though :thumbup:
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

Welcome to the forum Chris, great opening post but sad to hear about the loss of your wife.

I hope you enjoy being a LUFCTALKer
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Welcome to the forum Chris, sorry to hear about your loss.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Chris Abbott

Post by Chris Abbott »

Thanks for the kind words of welcome and condolence.
Always use Yorkshire as part of your postal address from the River Tees to the River Humber.
RamseyWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by RamseyWhite »

Just read your intro Chris,
Your name does sound familiar& I am pretty sure our paths must have crossed at some point.
I went home & away in those early days & still do but have to commute from Cambridgeshire these days.
Hail from Bilton & went with a group of 4 or 5 regulars .
Do you remember Mad Eric from Starbeck?
Welcome in by the way
Chris Abbott

Post by Chris Abbott »

Hi RamseyWhite

My Grandad lived at Butler Road, Billton. I used to go with a similar bunch of lads from Starbeck home and away.