My best moment as a Leeds supporter. What's yours?

Introduce yourself here
reinhardbeck
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

My best moment as a Leeds supporter. What's yours?

Post by reinhardbeck »

When I was at school I hated Maths and French. And as I sat in the classroom and stared out of the window I used to say to myself that I looked forward to the day when I could throw my books into the bin and never have to think about Maths and French ever again. That happy day did finally come and for years I forgot all about Maths and French. Then one day, when I was in my thirties, I suddenly decided that actually I did want to learn French (and maybe Maths too). At first I didn’t do anything about it because I thought that eventually this sudden interest in learning French would just go away and I’d go back to normal. But it didn’t and one day found myself at the university of Montpellier on a three week summer course.

After we had all signed in we were allocated a student room on campus and were told that if we wanted to stay on for a bit after the course was over then we could if we went down to the student accommodation office and paid for the extra number of days we wanted to stay. Since my return ticket on the coach was booked for a couple of days after the course finished I decided to take advantage of this offer and on the last day I made my way down to the offices to arrange it. I was confronted by two large dour and gloomy looking middle-aged women and in my brand new French I explained to them why I was here. To my surprise they actually understood me and told me that I would have to fill in a form and pay ‘X’ amount of Francs for two extra days I needed the room. One of them remained at the counter and watched me fill in the form. When I had filled it in I pushed it over to her so she could check it before I handed over the money. She caste her critical eye over the form and suddenly she gave a little cry and asked; “you live in Leeds?”
“Yes,” I confessed. I was rather surprised by the question. What’s wrong with living in Leeds?
She turned to her colleague who was sitting at her desk busy doing something. “He lives in Leeds!”
Her friend jumped up from her seat and rushed over to the counter and looked at the form.
I was starting to get a bit worried. “Jesus!” I thought, “what’s going on here? What have I done?”
They both looked keenly me, “you live in Leeds!” It sounded like I was being interrogated.
“Er...yes?” I admitted warily, fearing the worst.
“Ah!” they both cried bursting out in broad smiles; “Leeds United!...”
“Er...yes.”
“Billy Bremner, Jack Charlton, Lorimer, Gray, Clarke, Jones, Madeley...”
My mouth fell open.
“...Reaney, Sprake, Giles, Terry Cooper. McQueen, Jorden!”
They beaming at me more than ever (and my mouth was still hanging open by the way). I was stunned. I knew I ought to say something in response. But what could I say? This was 1994 and here were two middle-aged French women reeling off the names of all the Leeds players from twenty years ago! What the hell was going on?
I never did find out but I doubt if there is anyone who has a better story than this about what impact Revie’s team had around the world.
Last edited by reinhardbeck on 07 Jan 2016, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: My best moment as a Leeds supporter. What's yours?

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Great story & welcome to the forum. Best moment you say well watching Billy Bremner lifting the FA Cup at Wembley 43 years ago is still my highlight. I remember bursting into tears & then feeling embarrassed at doing this but when I looked around many others were having the same emotions. I often think about that magical day & even now still have the odd tears moment.

MOT
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Great Story, Great Team.

I'm with NW on that one in 1972 Clarke one nil :D

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

There's also something rather special when you're abroad & you see a fellow Leeds fan & give him the Leeds salute & he\she returns it. I tell people that its unique to us as a club no other team does this. On more than one occasion I've ended up having a beer in some foreign outpost talking all things Leeds with a total stranger. This is why the club & the fans are so special. Leeds fans here, Leeds fans there :D
Winner of the Europa League
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Even around the West Sussex area there are a number of fans and your right NW you always get the salute back.

Cup Final for me as well, I was on a school trip to the lake district and we were nearing our hostel at around 1pm and I`m thinking perfect I will be able to get some of the build up when one of the teachers said we were having a walk before settling into the hostel, I had a right moan and was told the quicker we did it the more of the game I would see, anyway missed the first 5mins, when we scored I got pummelled by the rest of the lads as I was the only Leeds fan on the trip.
BigLeedsFan72
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by BigLeedsFan72 »

Having a few quiet beers with Harry Kewell with Mr Russell in Australia. Just the three of us. Was a night I will never forget :)
"Be like water my friend" Bruce Lee
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

My best moment was probably beating Huddersfield this season 3-0.

Nah, only kidding, just wanted to make any visiting hudds fans giddy kipperish.

Best moment winning the league back in 92. Best season ever!
Deleted User 972

Post by Deleted User 972 »

3 nil against deportivo,I was lucky enuf to be at that 1 and the semi final.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Promotion at Bournemouth in the 89/90 season, what a day in so many differing ways, after that my second coming in 2013 and seeing us beating Burnley 1-0 at home and been in a pub in Sydney with the NSW whites celebrating our promotion from League one to the Championship in 2009/10, great night.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
jslufcAUS
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by jslufcAUS »

3-2 win at arsenal to keep us up in 2002-03. Kewell with a stunner and Vidukas offside winner :)