Today's Leeds

Introduce yourself here
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Today's Leeds

Post by johnh »

Just digressing. Football grounds I played on where one side was a cricket pitch. Worksop Town, Ossett Albion, Eastbourne Utd.,
I once played against Don Revie.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

We were on about this before the match on Tuesday - there was a cricket match held on ER in the 80s, limited overs with a few of the West Indies superstars playing.

I never saw us lose at Bramall Lane so I'm quite fond of the place, including sealing the title as well as seeing us drub the Blades in the League Cup in the 70s, with my Dad and being waved at by Frank Gray as the players got off the coach :D
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

johnh wrote:Welcome in, I remember when they played cricket at Bramall Lane.
Do you remember Ted Hemsley then? I was born and raised in Worcestershire and was a junior member at WCCC. In the late 60s early 70s Ted played for the county while in the football season he played for Sheff United! He has the distinction of being the only player to play pro football and cricket on the same ground - Bramall Lane! He played there for Worcs v Yorkshire and of course it was his home ground for the Blades!
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Yes, I remember Ted Hemsley. Cricketer's I played football with.

Played in a Yorkshire Amateur XI with Brian Bolus. Played with Barry Wood (Lancashire & England) at Ossett Town.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Unread postby johnh » Yesterday, 20:48

Just digressing. Football grounds I played on where one side was a cricket pitch. Worksop Town, Ossett Albion, Eastbourne Utd.,

John, I think you meant Eastbourne Town who play at the Saffrons and share it with the cricket club, Eastbourne Utd play at the Oval which has a cinder track around it, played at both many times during my playing days.
LAsouthcoast

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Played against Ian Gould, Sussex cricketer back in the mid eighties, I was with Arundel FC and he played for Wick FC, I think he went on to become a umpire.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

LAsouthcoast wrote:Re: Today's Leeds
Unread postby johnh » Yesterday, 20:48

John, I think you meant Eastbourne Town who play at the Saffrons and share it with the cricket club, Eastbourne Utd play at the Oval which has a cinder track around it, played at both many times during my playing days.
LAsouthcoast, we were both wrong. I still have the program from the game (1962/63 season) though you were right about the ground. The program states that the name was Eastbourne Football Club and they played at the Saffrons. It was an FA Amateur Cup game, I played for Yorkshire Amateur and we had to travel from Leeds for the game. Left Leeds Friday late afternoon and arrived back Sunday afternoon. We drew 0 - 0 and won the replay back in Leeds.
LAsouthcoast

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Do you remember the changing rooms were in the pavilion and you had a bit of a walk to the pitch, it has changed a bit now with the changing rooms behind the goal and the pitch all fenced off, your game was a little bit before me but I was playing there from the late 70`s, I enjoy reading your football stories.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

LAsouthcoast wrote:Do you remember the changing rooms were in the pavilion and you had a bit of a walk to the pitch, it has changed a bit now with the changing rooms behind the goal and the pitch all fenced off, your game was a little bit before me but I was playing there from the late 70`s, I enjoy reading your football stories.
I remember the long walk from the pavilion. I think there was the cricket pitch and then a hockey pitch before you reached the football pitch. I also played there in the early 1970's when I played for Windsor & Eton. At Yorkshire Amateur we had two good runs in the Amateur Cup 1958/59 and 1962/63. In both years we were drawn away in every game and did a fair amount of travelling.
1958/59
Ossett Albion
Durham City
Harwich & Parkeston
Walthamstow Avenue

1962/63
Hallam
Eastwood Town *
Eastbourne
Leytonstone

* We were actually drawn at home against Eastwood Town but due to the severe winter of '63 the game was postponed on about 7 consecutive weeks. (There was virtually no football played in the UK during that time). The FA ordered us to play the game on a neutral ground so we played our only 'home' game away at Notts Forest's ground.
LAsouthcoast

Post by LAsouthcoast »

John, I had forgotten the hockey pitch but yes you are right there was one, when you played there for Windsor that must have been what is the Ryman league now. I remember playing at Eastbourne Utd one year and being presented to Ron Greenwood who was their president at the time.