Hello there

Introduce yourself here
Veltins
Giddy Kipper

Re: Hello there

Post by Veltins »

Cheers guys for the warm welcome!
johnh wrote:Welcome in Johannes. Where in Germany do you live? I have a sister who lives just outside Konstanz. Been there, beautiful place. Enjoy your visit.
I grew up in Cologne and decided to move to Hamburg for studying 3 months ago. Nice, I have never been there, but I heard good stuff about it.
Another Northern Soul wrote:
Veltins wrote:Hey guys my name is Johannes and I am 23 years old. I live in germany and in decembre I will fly to Leeds and watch the game against Preston North End on Boxing day. In order to that I wanted to come in touch with you and follow some Leeds United news.

Alrighty if you have questions just ask ✌️✌️
How do, lad. :D

Do you have a German team? Are you a Leeds fan or a Bielsa fan or just visiting to sample the (poor) beer at Elland Road? :P

And do you spell it 'defence' or 'defense' in Germany?
Yes I have a german team. FC Schalke 04 :wave:

Which beer do you drink at Elland Road? Actually I like english beer, but I hope it is not Fosters :D

I say 'defense' .. why? :D
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Hamburg's a lovely city - really enjoyed a visit there not so long ago. Great place for culture : I went to the ballet and then an HSV match on the same Saturday :)

Good if you like fresh fish, too, but the parkland really impressed me - that massive one in the middle with the botanical gardens is stunning.
I follow HSV now, having seen them live. Terrible side but great fans :D
Veltins
Giddy Kipper

Post by Veltins »

rigger wrote:Hamburg's a lovely city - really enjoyed a visit there not so long ago. Great place for culture : I went to the ballet and then an HSV match on the same Saturday :)

Good if you like fresh fish, too, but the parkland really impressed me - that massive one in the middle with the botanical gardens is stunning.
I follow HSV now, having seen them live. Terrible side but great fans :D
And a lot british tourists hehe
Mostly because of bachelor parties. And the rainy weather make you feel home ;)

Yes Hamburg is nice - it is not only about HSV. Here is also St. Pauli who are their biggest enemy and these two clubs and their stadiums are very close to each other.
Deleted User 728

I know, mate - I stayed just off the Rieperbahn and could see into the St.Pauli stadium when I came and went from the station nearby.
They're a club I really admire politically and would love to go back and see them play, too.
I was there for four days with my sister and we walked everywhere - all around the city - as I find that's the best way to see everything.
While it's a lot like Southampton (where I live) it's much, much bigger but I liked how it still felt communal - there's clearly divided districts and people take pride in their city, unlike most British urban areas which tend to be grimy and not so well kept.
Veltins
Giddy Kipper

Post by Veltins »

rigger wrote:I know, mate - I stayed just off the Rieperbahn and could see into the St.Pauli stadium when I came and went from the station nearby.
They're a club I really admire politically and would love to go back and see them play, too.
I was there for four days with my sister and we walked everywhere - all around the city - as I find that's the best way to see everything.
While it's a lot like Southampton (where I live) it's much, much bigger but I liked how it still felt communal - there's clearly divided districts and people take pride in their city, unlike most British urban areas which tend to be grimy and not so well kept.
You live in Southampton? I've been there 3 years ago - I am still missing 'The Standing Order'. A pub with about 30 different sorts of beer. Never seen that before. In Germany we have maximum 4-5 kind of beers in a pub. And the food was also good there - it was like heaven :lol: Do you know the pub?

Reeperbahn is not a street for everyone. I am on this street like 2 times a week but I cant do it forever :D
Deleted User 728

Veltins wrote:
rigger wrote:I know, mate - I stayed just off the Rieperbahn and could see into the St.Pauli stadium when I came and went from the station nearby.
You live in Southampton? I've been there 3 years ago - I am still missing 'The Standing Order'. A pub with about 30 different sorts of beer. Never seen that before. In Germany we have maximum 4-5 kind of beers in a pub. And the food was also good there - it was like heaven :lol: Do you know the pub?

Reeperbahn is not a street for everyone. I am on this street like 2 times a week but I cant do it forever :D
The Standing Order ?
It's part of a chain called Wetherspoons and there's at least one in every town in Britain. There's actually four in Southampton, all told.
Ironically, the owner is a rabid Brexiteer so I find it quite ironic that you love the place - I'm sure you're NOT his target market :D

I loved the atmosphere in that part of Hamburg, but don't drink myself. I did see a few stag and hen parties though - there's lots of sex shops there as well as pubs so it was quite funny people-watching.
We really enjoyed the big pub/restaurant that had a nautical theme - there's actually what looks like an old wooden ship built into the interior of the place. The first night we tried it, there was traditional German music on - Oompah, you know - and then a DJ started playing German pop records from the 1950s onwards. For a music fan and DJ like me it was really great to experience that, with people singing when certain songs came on.
On another trip, I went to Berlin with a couple of friends and ended up in a little side-street bar just north of Mitte in an area called Gesundbrunnen where we were the only people drinking (I still drank alcohol back then). The owner was a big blues fan and I got talking to him as I love that music and he proceeded to play all the big German blues artists for the next hour or so. I didn't even know there were any :lol: