Howdy Lads

Introduce yourself here
Chilihead
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Howdy Lads

Post by Chilihead »

I'm a Yank living in Oklahoma that's been a Leeds fan for 48 years.

My father was Assigned to RAF Lakenheath in 1972. Our first Christmas in England my parents bought my brother and I a Subbuteo Football game. We took a liking to it immediately and played all the time. After deciding we liked football, my brother and I eventually chose teams to root for. He chose Arsenal, I chose Leeds. We purchased the appropriate Subbuteo players in their livery and every game was Leeds vs Arsenal for the next four years.

After moving back to America in 1976 we both continued to follow our teams. We jawed at each other for many years. I haven't had much to talk about for the last 16 years though.

Well, we're back. If I ever go back to the office (on permanent telework), my LUFC 73-74 First Division Championship coffee cup (I've owned for 46 years) is coming with me. It's been in my trophy case for all these years.

Cheers

Bob
You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!
Deleted User 728

Re: Howdy Lads

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Howdy Bob :)

Great story and I'm a fellow Subbuteo fan, still playing with three mates on a regular basis.
We generally start international tournaments a couple of months before the real things happen, using the same groups as the real thing with each of us taking one team from each group. When it gets to the knockouts, we rank all our sides that qualify and give up teams if they come face to face. That way we all play right through to the semi's. From then on in, it's winner takes all. Great fun, even if sometimes it takes us till Xmas to finish it. It's not always easy getting four blokes together on the same evening.

Do you have an MLS team as well ?
I've spent a fair bit of time in Tenn. so Nashville would be mine if pushed. I watch it sometimes on the FreeSport channel over here, but don't follow it avidly.

Welcome in :)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Welcome Bob great to have you onboard :thumbup:
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Welcome Bob :wave:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Welcome Bob, great intro. Good to have another member from across the pond. Why not stick your pin in our members map. Theres a chunk of the states that needs a pin in it there :thumbup:

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2609445
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Welcome!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Welcome to the forum pal, enjoy :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Hello :wave:
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Welcome in Bob :thumbup:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Chilihead
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Chilihead »

rigger wrote:Howdy Bob :)

Great story and I'm a fellow Subbuteo fan, still playing with three mates on a regular basis.
We generally start international tournaments a couple of months before the real things happen, using the same groups as the real thing with each of us taking one team from each group. When it gets to the knockouts, we rank all our sides that qualify and give up teams if they come face to face. That way we all play right through to the semi's. From then on in, it's winner takes all. Great fun, even if sometimes it takes us till Xmas to finish it. It's not always easy getting four blokes together on the same evening.

Do you have an MLS team as well ?
I've spent a fair bit of time in Tenn. so Nashville would be mine if pushed. I watch it sometimes on the FreeSport channel over here, but don't follow it avidly.

Welcome in :)
We have a lower division team in nearby Oklahoma City called the OKC Energy FC. I do look for their results but don't really follow them. Amazingly to me, they've shown 2 of Leeds first 4 games on live TV here which was awesome. Alas, Peter Lorimer and Duncan McKenzie are long gone so I'll have to learn the names of the current players.
Last edited by Chilihead on 17 Oct 2020, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!