Belated Hello

Introduce yourself here
Clarke One Nil
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Belated Hello

Post by Clarke One Nil »

Hi all, I’ve been on the forum for a few years but I haven’t got around to saying hello here yet.

As you can guess from my username, I’ve supported Leeds since I was a child during the Revie era. I’m from Dublin so Bohs in the League of Ireland were my local real-life team and Leeds were my telly team on Match of the Day.

I somehow overcame the childhood trauma of Celtic, Chelsea, West Brom, Colchester, Wolves, Sunderland, Milan, and Munich, and I had a double celebration when my dad was fifty on the day we won the centenary FA Cup in 1972.

I’ve followed Leeds ever since, through the Revie-era players as managers, the joy of Wilko’s army and O’Leary’s babes, the descent into the underworld, and the fun and integrity of what are hopefully the early days of the Bielsa era.

My favourite players over the years have been Giles, Clarke, Lorimer, Gray, Currie, Sheridan, Strachan, Speed, Chapman, Martin, Kelly and Harte, Cantona, Radebe, Yeboah, Rio, Viduka, Beckford, Becchio, Cooper, Ayling, Kalvin, Pablo, and Bamford. I meant to list maybe five or ten players there but I got carried away and I’ve still left loads out.

I had a great night when the 1972 team had a thirty-year reunion dinner in Dublin. It was amazing how differently they had all aged. Paul Madeley was already frail and Allan Clarke and Eddie Gray were dancing until the early hours.

I love this forum despite not having time to post more. I prefer not to slate our players so this is an oasis of sanity in an often hostile online world. Thanks very much to everyone who maintains it (I know how much work that entails) and who makes it so enjoyable.

Also, in the real world, It’s nice but strange to finally see Leeds becoming everyone else’s second favourite team!
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Belated Hello

Post by NottinghamWhite »

A belated hello from me. I’m also as you probably know a Revie Boy my first game was in 1967 my most productive season was 1969-70 where I hardly missed a game. You refer to the dinner in Dublin we I’ve organised 4 dinners here in Nottingham that involved Pete Lorimer, Allan Clarke & Eddie Gray all real gents who still love this great club of ours. I also attended to Revie statue events meeting other legends such as Big Jack, Johnny, Paul Reaney, Norman, Mick Jones, Mike O’Grady, Alan Peacock, Terry Yorath, Mick Bates etc all still very much Leeds.
Radz & MC are giving the younger fans a chance to see the team back where most of us truly belong, God bless them. Hopefully this is the start of a new era to match the one the Don started all those years ago.
MOT
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Welcome in. My great, great grandfather came to Liverpool from County Cork in the 1840's. I moved to Leeds from Liverpool in 1951 so saw quite a bit before the Revie years. I call them the John Charles years. What a player he was. Look forward to your posts.
I once played against Don Revie.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Welcome and great to see you finally join your fellow forum members. :thumbup:

Sadly was way too young for the Revie Years, had the pleasure of the Adamson Years :o (also Armfield ones but he did ok).
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

A belated welcome to the forum pal, enjoy :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Hello there, you have no doubt heard me mention our supporters map. Why not stick your pin on it and claim a place, you've been around now long enough ;)

If you prefer just pm me a location (not your exact address) and I put you on it.

Everyone welcome so if you have yet to add yours what are you waiting for ? :D

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2609445
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Was quite surprised to see you have only posted 55 times, if someone had asked me would have guessed many more.

Think that is because your posts usually add something to the discussion, sort of posts we want to make a healthy forum. :thumbup:

Anyway a very big belated welcome from another fan that tasted the Don years :wave:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Hello, mate and welcome in.
That "Clarke 1-0" was the first game I remember watching, sitting on my dad's knee as a five year old :)
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Officially welcomed in :thumbup:
Like Selby, would have thought you posted a lot more.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Clarke One Nil
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Clarke One Nil »

Thanks for the welcomes, Barlow Boy, Selby White, and KK White. I always enjoy reading posts from those of you who keep the discussions flowing.

NottinghamWhite, I would have loved to have been at that many legends dinners. They were all gentlemen when I met them. Sad to see so many now gone or ill.

JohnH, imagine how good John Charles would be today. Cork is traditionally known here as the Independent Republic of Cork. Very forthright people indeed!

Mr Russell, I agree about Jimmy Armfield. Came in after the Clough circus and nearly won the European Cup.

Davy, I’m on the supporters map now. Thanks for setting that up.

Rigger, yes, that was some game. I would never have dreamed I would go half a century without Leeds winning it again.