Hello

Introduce yourself here
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Hello

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

Hi all,

Been reading the forum for a while, decided to participate instead of just watching from the shadows.

From Harrogate and Leeds originally but been working as an ex-pat overseas for decades now, so rarely get to go to games and tend to watch from afar.

The history of my football allegiance is a bit weird. I come from a family of Maccams, so my first live football match was actually at Roker Park in the 70s. Apparently I asked my father and grandfather who took me to the game what language the other fans were speaking because I couldn't understand the accent! Then we moved down to Nottingham area and I kinda fell into supporting Forest because all the local kids did, the European Cup win happened etc. We moved back up north, I changed schools, interest in Forest and footy waned for years at school because I was playing rugby all the time and that took my interest.

Eventually I went to university in Newcastle and just happened to end up with a bunch of lads from Leeds and Keighley, all of whom were Leeds fans and all of a sudden it just clicked and I've been a Leeds fan since, 26-27 years and counting now.

My great memories of Leeds are all from the Wilkinson and O'Leary eras, I have especially fond memories of the European nights at Elland Road. That was the last time I lived in the UK and used to get to games every now and again.

Looking forward to visiting the UK and seeing us playing in the Premiership again at some point this season now that travel is slowly starting to return!
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Hello

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Welcome in my first game was at Roker Park in 1967 was taken by a Sunderland supporting neighbour but by the end o& the night I was Leeds through & through.
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

CheeznOnionPasty wrote:Hi all,

Been reading the forum for a while, decided to participate instead of just watching from the shadows.

From Harrogate and Leeds originally but been working as an ex-pat overseas for decades now, so rarely get to go to games and tend to watch from afar.

The history of my football allegiance is a bit weird. I come from a family of Maccams, so my first live football match was actually at Roker Park in the 70s. Apparently I asked my father and grandfather who took me to the game what language the other fans were speaking because I couldn't understand the accent! Then we moved down to Nottingham area and I kinda fell into supporting Forest because all the local kids did, the European Cup win happened etc. We moved back up north, I changed schools, interest in Forest and footy waned for years at school because I was playing rugby all the time and that took my interest.

Eventually I went to university in Newcastle and just happened to end up with a bunch of lads from Leeds and Keighley, all of whom were Leeds fans and all of a sudden it just clicked and I've been a Leeds fan since, 26-27 years and counting now.

My great memories of Leeds are all from the Wilkinson and O'Leary eras, I have especially fond memories of the European nights at Elland Road. That was the last time I lived in the UK and used to get to games every now and again.

Looking forward to visiting the UK and seeing us playing in the Premiership again at some point this season now that travel is slowly starting to return!
Welcome in, great first post. We
here in the world have you ended up then?

OK OK peeps, yes, it's leading to the question. :D
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Welcome to the forum pal, enjoy :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Well that's a long route to Leeds Utd, well worth the trip.

Welcome :wave:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Welcome! Stick around!

Good to see my home town get a mention in Keighley :thumbup:
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Hello :wave:
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Welcome. if you went to Roker park you know what colds is, I swear, that ground was the coldest place in the UK when the wind blew in from the North Sea.
Even though Clough almost destroyed Leeds, Nottingham must have been an exciting football town in the late 70's under him.
But onward and upwards, you finally got the right team going in the right direction.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Welcome in Pasty :thumbup:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Currently in Canada, near Toronto for those asking.

Also @Saxon yeah Roker Park was wintery as hell. I vaguely remember Clough fever in Nottingham but I was like 4-5 years old or something so, it's a bit of a blur. Seems very strange to think, I ever supported anyone else - I think as a kid it was as much about them not being Sunderland, so I could be different to the rest of the family :)