What next for LUFC?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Clarke One Nil
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: What next for LUFC?

Post by Clarke One Nil »

Leonickroberts wrote:At some point a new manager will have to take over this squad. How do we ensure that the squad they inherit will work for somebody other than Bielsa?
That's a very important question, and building a transitionary squad might be difficult. This might sound a bit paranoid but I suspect that, even if we had the money, many established top players might not want to play under Bielsa, because they might feel they are above his detailed levels of instruction and murder-ball levels of exertion.

In one way Bielsa is like a humbler and wiser version of Brian Clough, which is that both are/were amazing at inspiring young or underrated players to improve significantly when those players are open to such guidance. So the next manager may start with players who suit Bielsa’s style but not theirs, as Bielsa is such a once-off phenomenon.
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

Selby White wrote:Guitarmark, If we had a "post of the year" award on here I would be nominating yours.
Excellent read :thumbup:
I started crafting a long post myself and then realised Guitarmark had said it all rather well :thumbup: :clap:

We really do need to manage expectations and remember how tough the PL really is, I saw this question and answer in FourFourTwo's interview with Klich and it reminded me how we get carried away as fans sometimes.
How close are Leeds to European football? Is that something you dream about?
We weren’t as close as some people might think – the Champions League was out of reach. The Europa League? Mathematically, yes, but look at the teams that got there. We have to stay humble and realistic.
We need to remain humble and realistic.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

As others have said tremendous post by Guitarmark says it how it is in the real world.

In reality we can't financially compete with the big boys so when we spend its much more of a gamble in the hope of finding a few Raph's rather than JKA. Buying would not guarantee a top spot, too many clubs can out spend us, overspend and still fail its back to square one.

My hope is we keep Bielsa as long as possible but not sure we will.

My first thoughts is he'll go at the end of this season based purely on the fact he's been here longer than anywhere else.

However against that I truly believe he likes it here, likes the area and likes the support he's getting from Radz and may just stay on.

Why ?
He's a coach first most and a coach is interested in improving players, improving the team which will always take time with many ups and downs on the way. Think he feels supported in what he wants to achieve.
Sure we can still buy a few on the way to plug weak areas but those expecting or wanting lots of players are always going to be disappointed.

During his time here a lot of effort and some cash has been spent on improving the whole Club set up at all levels and we are seeing that with the U'23s. I don't think I'm alone in feeling we have a fair number closing in on progressing up the ladder. Signings would put a block in stunt their progression and development.
Lets not forget the U'23s have moved up 2 divisions in 2 years and in the main play mainly Under 20's while the under18s have a few 15/16 year olds in there ranks.

I appreciate there are always calls to bring young players in but think the first step is how they perform training with the first team, then travel and sit on the bench before eventually getting the odd cameo role. It is all about progression and something that shouldn't be rushed, young players are often full of confidence but that can be knocked out of them if pushed forward too early. Yes there are exceptions who take to it like a fish does to water such as Struijk and Meslier but again others that you are convinced are the bees knees just stagnate if pushed too early(Jamie Forrester, Simon Walton, Aidy White, etc).
A good coach to guide them is critical.
On the same note I know some are worried about our players in and around the 30's mark but I feel they are just holding the fort until the youngsters overtake them, we need to be patient IMHO. Could be like Man Utd and spending millions on 36year olds ;)

Back to Marcelo and I feel he sees our Club as his last project (unless he goes back to Rosario) and may just want to stick around to see his set up pay the dividends for all the work that as gone into it.

But hell I'm not going to 2nd guess him, if he goes I'll say thanks for the memories and the great football but if he stays and sees the job through I'll be delighted.
Anyone that thinks we can get better all I'll say is "Be careful what you wish for".
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Clarke One Nil wrote:
Leonickroberts wrote:At some point a new manager will have to take over this squad. How do we ensure that the squad they inherit will work for somebody other than Bielsa?
That's a very important question, and building a transitionary squad might be difficult. This might sound a bit paranoid but I suspect that, even if we had the money, many established top players might not want to play under Bielsa, because they might feel they are above his detailed levels of instruction and murder-ball levels of exertion.

In one way Bielsa is like a humbler and wiser version of Brian Clough, which is that both are/were amazing at inspiring young or underrated players to improve significantly when those players are open to such guidance. So the next manager may start with players who suit Bielsa’s style but not theirs, as Bielsa is such a once-off phenomenon.
It is a good question and I do believe that different coaches suit different players.

I do also believe there is more chance of a Bielsa player adapting to someone else than the other way around.
Basic reasoning is that Bielsa only works with players with a great attitude and strong work ethic who are prepared to follow instructions. That attribute will stay with the players.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by guitarmark »

Interesting thought - Showed this chat to my daughter - Leeds fan and currently studying Sports Business Management at Uni, so has an interest in the business side of the club as well

She said a lot will also depend on the 49ers Enterprise - As they acquire more of the shares, as time moves on - Will they accept Leeds to be an also ran, along side the likes of Everton etc - All will they want to challenge the big 4 and fund such a package accordingly