Have you been "2" ?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
Deleted User 728

Re: Have you been "2" ?

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Selby White wrote: As for things to do in the day the National Civil rights museum is a must, its situated in the old Lorraine Hotel where Martin Luther King was shot.
Can't believe I forgot about that, especially at the moment.

It's probably the best museum I've ever experienced, certainly in terms of importance and also the way it's designed. By the time you get to MLK's untouched room and look across the street to the window where the shooter stood, if you're not close to tears then you must have a heart of stone.

Three of us came out of there and barely spoke for about five minutes afterwards, we just all walked off a little bit and sat down, trying to take it all in ..
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Next 10 -
11. Brussels - One i keep considering for a European City break but just not got round to it.
12. Tel Aviv - Not on my radar
13. Seville - Done afew Spanish Cities but not this one, so definitely on the radar.
14. Melbourne - Not yet done Aus, so no.
15. Hanoi - another Mrs SW has been to but not me :roll:
16. Valletta - Yes 1979 was the first time to see the mighty whites in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup, nice 4-0 victory if memory serves me correct.
Actual Valletta City is small but what a stunning place it is, basically a walled city surrounded by natural harbours.
Have been to Malta a couple of time more in recent years, done lots of walks around the island and on Gozo, enjoy the place, ideal for a winter break.

17. Nairobi - No but another Mrs SW has on her CV although was a small child and can't remember it.

18. Belfast - Yes visited a wet Belfast on our trip to NI got soaked so probably didn't see it at its best, just another big city very much like many UK cities.
Highlight of the day was calling at a Pub on the way back to our hotel in Coleraine and meeting another talker :wave:

19. Kingston (Jamaica) - Mrs SW wants to go to Jamaica as her Dad worked there as mining engineer before she was born (her sister was born there).
She wants to see where her parents lived.
We actually have a dynamite box we use as a coffee table from there, maybe i should check its empty. :shock:

20. Colonia del Sacramento (Uruguay) - Stunning old place with narrow cobbled streets. Its World heritage site and real beautiful place.

So another 3 for me

Highlight :o :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Great interesting reading from you guys.
I have a question, "Do you actually have a home, or do you live out of a suitcase, as appears to be with the amount of time you spend
traveling?' :)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Next 10 -
11. Brussels
Visited on a booze run from Nottingham. Lovely city with plenty of culture.

13. Seville
Spent a couple of nights here on our tour of Spain. It was here we discovered tapas.

17. Nairobi
We decided a few years back to take the girls on a trip to Kenya to have a beach holiday in Mombasa but before hand a week on safari. We overnighted twice here on the first occasion we went to the Carnivore Restaurant, not a place for vegetarians. We also went into a local bar where we sat drinking Tusker Beer. The same bar years later when gunmen shot several people.

19. Kingston (Jamaica)
Not my favourite city always felt under threat. We did travel through the market which was interesting to say the least.

Running total 7/20
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Saxon wrote:Great interesting reading from you guys.
I have a question, "Do you actually have a home, or do you live out of a suitcase, as appears to be with the amount of time you spend
Haha, yes it seems like that at times.
For me it's a passion and some could argue a hobby at the same time.
Always loved travel but didn't have the time or resources to do much in my younger years.
But mid 40's house paid for, promotions at work increasing my finances and available time (wasn't paid overtime, got extra hours holiday so accumulated and added to my official hols).
Eventually the place I worked closed so got redundancy and took early pension so now even more time to follow my passion to travel.
Try to go away 5 times per year nowadays, yet the bucket list still grows. Some people spend their money on other interests but I choose to put a lot of my hard earned into my trips, everyone to their own.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

I didn’t get any overtime I had an all hours worked position & my wife was a head teacher with loads of holiday & I was allowed to take holiday at virtually the same time. Always went away at Christmas going to Nepal, Gambia, Sri Lanka, India & Ethiopia for the holidays.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

NottinghamWhite wrote:

I didn’t get any overtime I had an all hours worked position & my wife was a head teacher with loads of holiday & I was allowed to take holiday at virtually the same time. Always went away at Christmas going to Nepal, Gambia, Sri Lanka, India & Ethiopia for the holidays.
Sorry if my suitcase comment didn't come over quite right.
I wasn't serious,I did put a smilie, :) I wasn't questioning 'how or why' you traveled.
I think it's great that people do travel, see other cultures and how people live. A first hand insight to what's going on in the World,at this present time, and understanding history and geography better.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

My parents never left the UK well Dad actually was in India during the war. Other than that they never left North Yorkshire
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote:My parents never left the UK well Dad actually was in India during the war. Other than that they never left North Yorkshire
Can relate to that NW. My father did his military service with the Signals based in Catterick. He was posted to China towards the end of the war and stayed on to support the Kuomintang against the communists. Along the way he developed a love of all things Chinese (he married one some years after my mother passed away), yet hated with a passion the Japanese and India for being a sh*thole - think Johnh can relate here.

My mother didn't go abroad until 1966, so age 47, when we went on a Frames coach tour to Seefeld in Austria. I have a clear picture in my mind of her stepping off the ferry gangplank in Ostend and somewhat triumphantly planting her foot on foreign soil for the first time.

So c'mon SW let's have Innsbruck and Nancy on the list :lol:
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:Following the interesting posts on the previous thread containing supposedly the Worlds Top 100 cities.

Thought we can ask members on the next 100 ?

If you've been how do you rate them ?
Tell us your stories ?
Are they worthy of been in the top 100 ?

Here we go -

11. Brussels

Multiple visits for business as well as privately. The Grand Place is a magnificent centrepiece, as good as it gets for a central square anywhere. Officially the city is bilingual French and Dutch, but it's said by the locals in reality it's bilingual French and English. But Brussels really is the front line where the Flemish and French parts meet and I think that this is reflected in some of the city planning in that it seems rather haphazard and not very easy on the eye in places.

Personally I find Ghent and especially Antwerp more rewarding destinations.

12. Tel Aviv

I object strongly to what the Israelis are doing in Palestine so won't be visiting despite the cities' visual appeal and sunny climate

13. Seville

Right at the top of European places I want to visit, but haven't yet. Ideally combine it with Granada and Cordoba.

14. Melbourne
15. Hanoi
16. Valletta
17. Nairobi
18. Belfast

Sorry Davy, not yet.

19. Kingston (Jamaica)
20. Colonia del Sacramento (Uruguay)

Next ten -
21. Sarajavo
22. Los Angeles

Been a few times. One of the more interesting US cities in terms of setting, you could be in the south of Spain with its backdrop of mountains and Mediterranean style villas. Did the Hollywood stuff but most visits stayed in Pasadena and also once in Newport Beach. Fabulous climate.

23. Kyoto (Japan)
24. Phnom Penh
25. San Marino
26. Bucharest

Several visits to set up two distributors there. The Romanians say that their country 'has a lot of potential and will always remain that way'. It's an odd country with its Italianate language smattered with Slavic words. Some of the countryside is stunning and unspoilt with bears, wolves etc in the Carpathians.

The Ceaușescu palace is the centrepiece of Bucharest - a huge and not especially beautiful building with elegant boulevards leading up to it. In fact it is known sometimes as the 'Paris of the east', even having a mini Arc de Triumph, although Ceaușescu destroyed much of the historic city centre. Away from the elegance I thought it rather shoddy, and whilst the natives might appear to be Latin they are mostly cool and stand-offish Slavs.

Very inexpensive destination.

27. Tallin
28. Montevideo
29. Annecy
30. Port of Spain
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....