More Questions - Have a go,

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
One Eyed Thompson
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: More Questions - Have a go,

Post by One Eyed Thompson »

1. If we could have a ex striker back in his prime (to cover Chris Wood) who would you prefer ? Yeboah, Viduka, Hasselbaink, Chapman or Cantona.
Of those 5 definitely Tony. I was never a huge fan of Viduka or JFH and while Chapman was wonderful at the time Yeboah was more exciting.

2. You have to spend a week in a hospital bed, only entertainment is a TV and DVD player. You can have and one actor/actress complete film collection. Who would you choose ?
I'm not a big film buff. Could I have David Jason's TV collection please?

3. Where, how, when did you meet your partner ?
In my local pub, she was going out with one of my best mates. I was secretly delighted when he broke up with her ;)

4. If you could get tickets for any major sporting event in the UK what would it be ?
The Open (all four days please)

5. Staying at a top hotel and you can have anything up to six items on your breakfast plate, what 6 do you go for ?
Bacon, sausage, egg, mushroom, soda bread, potato bread.

6. Which sport have you played to the highest standard ?
None to the highest standard. I was always 'quite good' at most sports I took up - probably at my best in my teens when I played for NI schoolboys football team a couple of times.

7. Name the last 5 albums you've listened to ?

Tough one. I did listen to Blondie's Parallel Lines the other day for some nostalgia. Other than that I tend to listen to compilations or put Vintage TV on - some excellent old music on there :)

8. Who is your all time Sporting hero ?
George Best. I idolised him when I was a kid.

9. What was your favourite decade ?
1970's. I was young and Leeds were great!

10. Other than Leeds what other football teams do you like ?
Glentoran (Belfast team)
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Selby White wrote:1. If we could have a ex striker back in his prime (to cover Chris Wood) who would you prefer ? Yeboah, Viduka, Hasselbaink, Chapman or Cantona.

Chapman from that list, otherwise John Charles of course like Rigger said!

2. You have to spend a week in a hospital bed, only entertainment is a TV and DVD player. You can have and one actor/actress complete film collection. Who would you choose ?

Serious actor would probably be one of the 'official' Greats as they've been in more great films than most, someone like Paul Newman or Robert Redford, James Stewart, Gregory Peck, Cary Grant even Marlon Brando. More recent, Jake Gyllenhaal, De Niro, Di Caprio, Cruise, even Russell Crowe. Cheating but if I was in a hospital bed then I'd want bloomin' cheering up so it would be Laurel & Hardy or Jacques Tati :D

Through a friend of a friend, I met Sam in a Leeds bar and then later at a club. She doesn't have an easy life and I'm sure I add to her travails but she knows how lucky I feel having her.

4. If you could get tickets for any major sporting event in the UK what would it be ?

The next Champions League semi-final at Elland Road :P

5. Staying at a top hotel and you can have anything up to six items on your breakfast plate, what 6 do you go for ?
Grilled bacon, fried egg, mushrooms, grilled black pudding & sausages, baked beans. And tom sauce of course :D

Footie - not to a high standard though I've a big Keep Fighting heart and good stamina. One pace (slow) though and rubbish leap too to say I'm 6 foot tall. Played hundreds of Sunday league games and we won a lower division title twice and got to a WY Cup final but had our keeper sent off early on and lost 2-0. Guested a few times and did okay for a Saturday Red Triangle League team in the 'Jubilee Premier Division' or something. Managed my Sunday team for a few seasons as well, again to no great achievements except a title win as said.

I'm near constantly listening to albums so change my 5-CD player around a lot. I have Elbow's latest on at the moment, Hugh Cornwell/John Cooper Clarke's album from last year, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club ('BRMC' album), a Buddy Holly greatest and Badly Drawn Boy 'About A Boy' album. I try to be diverse in my tastes and am a regular visitor to a local charity shop. Been today and got a REM album, Carpenters, A Guy Called Gerald, 'The Beach' soundtrack, The La's and Vampire Weekend albums, all 50p each :D

Too many to mention and some have been mentioned here already. John Charles, Ali, Daley Thompson, Seb Coe & Steve Ovett, most LU greats esp Lorimer, Eddie, The Don of course, Jack, Currie, Madeley. Loved most of the England 66 fellas too, esp Bobby, Nobby and Bally.

9. What was your favorite decade ? Difficult to answer really, I try to make the 'now' my favourite era. This decade however has been personally the worst but I Keep Fighting, as we all know, Life eventually brings Departures too. I loved the 80s despite being unemployed for what felt like an age and ashamed of it because that was the society attitude towards jobless people, and despite being miserable following Leeds all over for most of the decade and usually seeing no light at the end of the tunnel. The music was ace but that started in the late 70s for me and of course the 60s had the Beatles and Beach Boys, Who, Stones, Doors etc. Met most of my best mates in the 80s too and did most of my 'cavorting' then as well :lol:

Leeds Reserves, Leeds Ladies, etc. England, Scotland, Barcelona a bit. I used to like any Yorkshire team but there's so much 'hate' towards us and rivalry around it's put me off TBH. I don't mind too much Arsenal or Villa, or Swansea or Halifax and York, plus Dagenham & Redbridge as they're a mate's team :D
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

One Eyed Thompson wrote:Other than that I tend to listen to compilations or put Vintage TV on - some excellent old music on there :)
Yep, that's a good channel isn't it ??
I also love the Irish channel, Keep It Country, which is only a couple of stations along from it in my freeview area. It's really low budget and hilariously amateurish at times, but the American stuff they play is great .. though I'm not so keen on the "Oirish" country music - some of it is sub-karaoke standard.

I had it on the other night and a mature lady was covering a Metallica or Soundgarden song - I can't remember which because it was all I could do to grab the remote and erase it from my memory. Imagine an Irish three-piece slowing down a hard rock classic, replacing the growling frontman with a soft female vocalist in her fifties and swapping the lead guitar for a violin and you're about halfway there :wtf:
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

1. If we could have a ex striker back in his prime (to cover Chris Wood) who would you prefer ? Yeboah, Viduka, Hasselbaink, Chapman or Cantona.
Chapman probably but would prefer Sniffer, natch.

Terence Stamp. A bit left-field perhaps but a friend used to go on about him interminably back in the 80s and I've only seen a couple of his films.

I met her at work nearly 32 years ago. She was living with someone else at the time, they split up and I helped her move her stuff back to her parents house. A little later we got together. After about 3 years of me dicking about trying to be a rock star she got fed up and we went our separate ways. We met up again (for the first time in 20-odd years) in October 2011 having chatted via email on-and-off for a few months.

All 5 days of an Ashes Test. Lords would be nice.

Stop me if you've heard this before... Bacon, sausage, eggs, tomato, mushrooms and toast. Maple bacon like you can get in the US, any sausage as long as it's good quality, eggs ..... sod it! I'm off down the caff.

Cricket to youth county level.

Julian Cope - Drunken Songs
Gaz Brookfield - I Know My Place
Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker
Pixies - Doolittle
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

Cruyff, probably. Obviously Sniffer too. And Viv Richards.

9. What was your favorite decade ?
I'm feeling pretty good about this one. I seem to have come full circle back to where I was in m early 20s but with a bit more understanding of what I'm supposed to be doing.

Bristol Rovers as my local team. Although that is more in opposition to Bristol City than a true support for Rovers.
big jon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by big jon »

If we could have a ex striker back in his prime (to cover Chris Wood) who would you prefer ? Yeboah, Viduka, Hasselbaink, Chapman or Cantona.[/b][/b]

Viduka for me

Jason Statham films

Her daughter worked with me and she invited me for xmas dinner - 10 years later.....poor woman

It has to be a big boxing fight.

Any 5 ingredients of a cooked breakfast (with brown sauce :D )

Decent pool player in my younger days - a bit of a hustler.
Played snooker - never quite made a hundred break.
Played off a 5 handicap in golf when I was 18.
Played super league darts

Not really my thing. Cant actually recall the last time I listened to an album :shock:

Ali

9. What was your favorite decade ?

Don't really have one

10. Other than Leeds what other football teams do you like ?[/quote]

Keen follower of my local club, Burgess Hill Town. Always had a bit of a soft spot for Everton.
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

1. If we could have an ex striker back in his prime who would it be? Viduka
2. A week in a hospital bed, TV and DVD player, complete film collection? Marx Brothers or Laurel and Hardy
3. Where, how, when did you meet your partner? August 2012 in Guiseley on a blind date, pretty much love at first sight, wish I'd met her years ago. I've never been so in tune with anyone, all those wasted years married twice and then I meet 'the one'
4. Tickets for any major sporting event? Any final featuring Leeds Utd or Wakefield Trinity
5. Staying at top hotel, 6 items on breakfast plate? Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, Mushrooms, Fried Bread and Baked Beans
6.Which sport have you played to highest standard? Football for town team, various Sunday league, 5 a side and 7 a side teams
7. Last 5 albums you've listened to? - Grace Under Pressure / Rush, Definitive Four Tops, Dusty Springfield's Greatest Hits, Down To Earth / Rainbow, British Northern Soul compilation album. ( I probably listen to 50 a week maybe more in the car, the home, at work, everywhere! )
8. All time sporting hero? Billy Bremner
9. What was your favourite decade? Growing up in the 70's was fantastic, we had the greatest team, I had a great upbringing, my dad introducing me to all these wonderful records. It was just an amazing time.
10 Other than Leeds what other football teams do you like? None at all, I follow Wakefield Trinity my home town Rugby League team, these are my only sporting loves in life.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Enjoying reading everyone's answers :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Wigan White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Anything with Roxanne Pallett in it..
Couldn't disagree with that one BB. :oops: :clap:
I've had the pleasure of meeting the lady, lovely girl :shh:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Wigan White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Anything with Roxanne Pallett in it..
Couldn't disagree with that one BB. :oops: :clap:
I've had the pleasure of meeting the lady, lovely girl :shh:
Must admit, I wouldn't mind having the pleasure myself. :oops:

Wonder how many times you've watched Lake Placid 3. :shh:
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

Here goes with my effort

1. If we could have an ex striker back in his prime who would it be?
Any of them would be good to have, but Id go for Chappy, he wasnt afraid of joining us when we were in Div2 (as was)

2. A week in a hospital bed, TV and DVD player, complete film collection?
Electric Blue or if the nurses objected then Star Wars

3. Where, how, when did you meet your partner?
At work over 20 years ago, she would even be able to tell you the date I started

4. Tickets for any major sporting event?
The Derby or the Saturday of the Lords Test

5. Staying at top hotel, 6 items on breakfast plate?
Bacon, sausage, eggs, beans, some little fried potatoes, fried bread

6.Which sport have you played to highest standard?
Football, school, works, and pub teams

7. Last 5 albums you've listened to?
Havent listened to an album in ages, tend just to listen to odd tracks in a playlist these days

8. All time sporting hero?
Jackie Robinson

9. What was your favourite decade?
To live in was the 80s, leaving school, university, drinking, ladies, starting work meant having a bit of money with no responsibilities, growing up. If I could travel back to a decade the I would really like to have been a young man in the 50s to travel round on the empty roads by motorbike to see some the things that interest me today in their prime

10 Other than Leeds what other football teams do you like?
Theres only one club for me