Re: More Questions for May - Have a go

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

He was born in Stretford. :D
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:He was born in Stretford. :D
Let's not get into an argument about it, please! :thumbup: He's Irish descent and has played for ROI a few times, and I might be wrong but I think one of his sons is called Seamus :P .
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Let's not get into an argument about it, please! :thumbup: He's Irish descent and has played for ROI a few times, and I might be wrong but I think one of his sons is called Seamus :P .
That settles it for me. :D
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
That settles it for me. :D
It's possibly true too mate - I mentioned above that I'd interviewed a few players in my time and Shez was one of them. I asked him if there were any more Sheridans likely to play for us and he said something along the lines of 'Well, my lad xxxx is looking a decent prospect.' I think he might have two sons but I could well be wrong. Shez definitely likes a flutter on the horses but that doesn't make him Irish of course :lol:

Now Brendon Ormsby played for England Schoolboys. Hear him talk and he's as Irish as they come :D
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:A few more questions for anyone that fancies having a go, its open to all forum members and always a good read.

1. This season is coming to a disappointing end. In hindsight and given backing from above which 3 players from any of our Championship rivals would you have signed in the January window if in Gary Monks shoes ?

Rather ashamed to admit I don't pay too much attention to other teams' players. Mooy caught my eye, someone made a good suggestion in Howson, I'd have Bradley Johnson back, even though he's not very bright

2. Which Leeds players past or present have you met ?

I was collecting my bags at Gatwick when a flight from Dallas arrived with the LUFC youth team - this was about 1997/8, so there were the likes of Smith and Kewell probably - and they were being managed by Eddie Gray, so we had a brief chat about Leeds' 2-1 loss at Arsenal the previous day when Deane scored.

I've mentioned before that Lorimer used to run a club off Dewsbury Road where we'd go before matches and he'd drive us in a minibus to the game, giving us his preview of it.

Byron Stevenson (RIP) was landlord of a pub further up Dewsbury Road - Tommy Wass I believe - and he served me a pint.

3. Who do you believe is the biggest threat to World peace of the following ?
a) Putin
b) North Korea
c) ISIS
d) Trump

Trump. He doesn't seem capable of analytical thought so I hope he has some good advisors around him to stop him nuking the Koreans

4. What is the biggest sporting attendance you have been part of ?

Scotland v France in 2000 at Murrayfield; stadium capacity now is 67,800

5. The season is coming to an end, not much football in the summer, what are your plans ?

Unless my income situation changes, not much; found out yesterday that Mrs MW will be having surgery during the summer that will leave her incapacitated for a while, so I'll be taking care of her

6. You are going out for a meal locally, tell us about your favorite eating place ?
Chance of a bit of free advertising for your number one place.

Personally I think we're spoilt for choice in Nottingham and there are many favourites. We have a couple of French/English places, Harts and World Service which are top drawer, but I'd probably go to Chai Yo a Thai restaurant which has homemade style food at a very reasonable price, and the owners are good friends of ours

7. With the upcoming election do you think its good we have so many parties leading to a chance of a weak split Government or would you prefer something like the American system with only two lots and a clear winner ?

I'd call the US system semi-democratic because the choice seems to be between two parties that have very little difference in their policies

8. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be ? - keep it clean please ;)

I'd like to go back to the weight I was when I was 20 - about 10 stone and 6ft 3 in :lol:

9. What is your all time favorite film with a Sporting theme ?

Don't really do movies, sorry. Don't think I've ever watched one with a sporting theme, unless Rollerball counts

10. Name your all time best Leeds United team (using English players only) ?

Martyn, Reaney, Dorigo, Hunter, Ferdinand, (you did say best, not favourite :) ) Currie, Batty, Bowyer, Lennon, Clarke, McKenzie; sub: Madeley
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

mapperleywhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:A few more questions for anyone that fancies having a go, its open to all forum members and always a good read.

1. This season is coming to a disappointing end. In hindsight and given backing from above which 3 players from any of our Championship rivals would you have signed in the January window if in Gary Monks shoes ?

Rather ashamed to admit I don't pay too much attention to other teams' players. Mooy caught my eye, someone made a good suggestion in Howson, I'd have Bradley Johnson back, even though he's not very bright

I was collecting my bags at Gatwick when a flight from Dallas arrived with the LUFC youth team - this was about 1997/8, so there were the likes of Smith and Kewell probably - and they were being managed by Eddie Gray, so we had a brief chat about Leeds' 2-1 loss at Arsenal the previous day when Deane scored.

I've mentioned before that Lorimer used to run a club off Dewsbury Road where we'd go before matches and he'd drive us in a minibus to the game, giving us his preview of it.

Byron Stevenson (RIP) was landlord of a pub further up Dewsbury Road - Tommy Wass I believe - and he served me a pint.

a) Putin
b) North Korea
c) ISIS
d) Trump

Trump. He doesn't seem capable of analytical thought so I hope he has some good advisors around him to stop him nuking the Koreans

5. The season is coming to an end, not much football in the summer, what are your plans ?

Unless my income situation changes, not much; found out yesterday that Mrs MW will be having surgery during the summer that will leave her incapacitated for a while, so I'll be taking care of her

6. You are going out for a meal locally, tell us about your favorite eating place ?

Personally I think we're spoilt for choice in Nottingham and there are many favourites. We have a couple of French/English places, Harts and World Service which are top drawer, but I'd probably go to Chai Yo a Thai restaurant which has homemade style food at a very reasonable price, and the owners are good friends of ours

7. With the upcoming election do you think its good we have so many parties leading to a chance of a weak split Government or would you prefer something like the American system with only two lots and a clear winner ?

I'd call the US system semi-democratic because the choice seems to be between two parties that have very little difference in their policies

8. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be ? - keep it clean please ;)

I'd like to go back to the weight I was when I was 20 - about 10 stone and 6ft 3 in :lol:

Don't really do movies, sorry. Don't think I've ever watched one with a sporting theme, unless Rollerball counts

Martyn, Reaney, Dorigo, Hunter, Ferdinand, (you did say best, not favourite :) ) Currie, Batty, Bowyer, Lennon, Clarke, McKenzie; sub: Madeley
Hi mate - great call re Rollerball, I absolutely love that movie :D

I think we've had this chat before - Lorimer's club, was it the Hunslet Trafalgar?

Re Byron Stevenson - he was definitely landlord at the New Inn on Churwell Hill near Morley, official address I believe is Elland Road. He was never Tommy Wass landlord, it's my local for one thing but I wouldn't say for sure he never appeared there :D . Before the New Inn (which John Charles had in the 70s or 80s) I understand he was landlord at the Pointers in Woodlesford.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

mapperleywhite wrote:

a) Putin
b) North Korea
c) ISIS
d) Trump

Thanks ANS - rather embarrassingly I don't remember too much about it other than it was in a futuristic setting, wasn't it?

I think we've had this chat before - Lorimer's club, was it the Hunslet Trafalgar?

No-one has responded to me before when I've mentioned Lorimer's club. What I recall is that, if you're going away from the city on Dewsbury Rd there's a set of lights where there was (is?) a police station on one corner, and it was on one of the streets on the left before those lights. I think it had a five-a-side pitch and my Leeds mates had a least one game where Lasher played. Trafalgar does sound vaguely familiar....

Re Byron Stevenson - he was definitely landlord at the New Inn on Churwell Hill near Morley, official address I believe is Elland Road. He was never Tommy Wass landlord, it's my local for one thing but I wouldn't say for sure he never appeared there :D . Before the New Inn (which John Charles had in the 70s or 80s) I understand he was landlord at the Pointers in Woodlesford.

One of the aforementioned mates lived at Gildersome, so the New Inn would be close by and that's one reason we went there. If Tommy Wass is local then you likely know the Blooming Rose (spent a lot of time in there as a student acquiring a taste for hand-pulled Tetleys) and the Broadway, my mates family's local
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

mapperleywhite wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:

a) Putin
b) North Korea
c) ISIS
d) Trump

Thanks ANS - rather embarrassingly I don't remember too much about it other than it was in a futuristic setting, wasn't it?

No-one has responded to me before when I've mentioned Lorimer's club. What I recall is that, if you're going away from the city on Dewsbury Rd there's a set of lights where there was (is?) a police station on one corner, and it was on one of the streets on the left before those lights. I think it had a five-a-side pitch and my Leeds mates had a least one game where Lasher played. Trafalgar does sound vaguely familiar....

One of the aforementioned mates lived at Gildersome, so the New Inn would be close by and that's one reason we went there. If Tommy Wass is local then you likely know the Blooming Rose (spent a lot of time in there as a student acquiring a taste for hand-pulled Tetleys) and the Broadway, my mates family's local
Spent years in the Rose, yes, great pint, our footie team were based there for quite a while.

Yes, basically the Trafalgar or 'Nelson' (which has just sprung to mind) was in Hunslet. Lorimer now has the Commercial on Sweet Street in Holbeck but I hear it's shut now.

Rollerball is a classic sci-fi/futuristic film about sport being run by money & corporates, the older it gets the more resonant it becomes.
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

Matt Richie, Izzy Brown, Tammy Abraham

Met a lot over the years, getting autographs/photos etc. Couple of standouts for me are meeting Don Revie in the lift of the Dragonara Hotel when I was about 8 years old, he was really nice to me and asked me about Leeds and I was only too happy to show-off what I knew about the team and players. More recently on my sons first game at ER (vs Southend) bumped into Clarke & Reaney just as we got through the turnstile, got a photo with them and when I told them it was my sons first game they made a real fuss of him and welcomed him to Leeds.

a) Putin
b) North Korea
c) ISIS
d) Trump

ISIS

1972 FA Cup Final Wembley, whatever the official attendance was add 1 to it as 3 of us got in on 2 tickets (I was lifted over the turnstile by my dad)

Family holiday, spending time with the kids, a few trips to indulge my other hobbies

Locally there are many fine country pubs, but Ill keep it football-ish related. Exiled from Yorkshire I do miss proper fish & chips so after every home game we call in at the Kingfisher at Calder Bridge (just off M1 so very handy).

I don't think there is an ideal political system, they all have good and bad points, so lets stick with what we have got. However I do lament the increasing the deposit/threshold for candidates a number of years ago as this prevented a lot of the local 'characters' from standing for fun

Im happy as I am and how life has turned out. But I do wish I had been born with better eyesight as I always dreamed of being a pilot.

Choice of 3 here
42 (Jackie Robinson is one of my all time heroes)
Chariots of Fire
Slapshot

Its a bit attack minded......4-1-3-2.
Martyn, Reaney, Charlton, Hunter, Dorigo - Batty - Bowyer, Currie, McKenzie - Clarke, Jones