More Questions for May - Have a go

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

More Questions for May - Have a go

Post by Selby White »

A few more questions for anyone that fancies having a go, its open to all forum members and always a good read.

1. This season is coming to a disappointing end. In hindsight and given backing from above which 3 players from any of our Championship rivals would you have signed in the January window if in Gary Monks shoes ?

2. Which Leeds players past or present have you met ?

3. Who do you believe is the biggest threat to World peace of the following ?
a) Putin
b) North Korea
c) ISIS
d) Trump

4. What is the biggest sporting attendance you have been part of ?

5. The season is coming to an end, not much football in the summer, what are your plans ?

6. You are going out for a meal locally, tell us about your favorite eating place ?
Chance of a bit of free advertising for your number one place.

7. With the upcoming election do you think its good we have so many parties leading to a chance of a weak split Government or would you prefer something like the American system with only two lots and a clear winner ?

8. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be ? - keep it clean please ;)

9. What is your all time favorite film with a Sporting theme ?

10. Name your all time best Leeds United team (using English players only) ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Re: More Questions for May

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Christ, I thought this was about the Prime Minister !

I thought "why bother ??"
She never answered any of Andrew Marr's ...
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

1. This season is coming to a disappointing end. In hindsight and given backing from above which 3 players from any of our Championship rivals would you have signed in the January window if in Gary Monks shoes ?
Mooy, Shelvey, Knockaert

Well, I had lunch with John from this very forum not so long ago and he played for the youth team :ugeek:
I said hello to Eddie Gray at the Ipswich game and .. er .. that's about it, I think, though I did know Ian Baird's brother, Gav, back in the day. We actually watched England v Belgium at Italia 90 in a bar together and the place erupted when Platty scored the late winner :D

a) Putin
b) North Korea
c) ISIS
d) Trump

e) Nationalism (with a capital "N")

Probably a Wembley match so I'm guessing England vs. Brazil in 1987, att. 92,000

5. The season is coming to an end, not much football in the summer, what are your plans ?
I don't really follow other sports, so I'll be cycling more on weekends and playing lots and lots of Football Manager to feed the need :mrgreen:

6. You are going out for a meal locally, tell us about your favorite eating place ?

Piccolo Mondo : http://www.piccolo-mondo.co.uk/
Great little Italian place, very traditional, red and white checked tablecloths, candles in bottles and fantastic food.
The specials board is always amazing, often with seafood fresh from the ships, and they serve the best garlic olives I've ever tasted !
It's tiny so it's best to book in advance. If you're ever in Southampton, I would recommend it above every other place in town.

7. With the upcoming election do you think its good we have so many parties leading to a chance of a weak split Government or would you prefer something like the American system with only two lots and a clear winner ?
It doesn't matter and there's virtually nothing between them anymore. Everyone's a centralist, so it's just fine tuning and semantics. The older I get, the more communism sounds like a good idea.
And I'm serious ..

8. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be ? - keep it clean please ;)
I find it hard to compromise.
My moral code is very rigid.
Things are black and white to me, whereas most people are happy to live with shades of grey.
I honestly don't know if I'd change that, though. It's who I am and why I've never been married at 50.
I'm happy. There's the rub.
Actually, I'd probably like to be a little more driven/ambitious. I've always taken the path of least resistance when I probably could've achieved more in a career-sense if I'd had more application.
But, like I said, I'm happy so who knows ..?
Good question. Difficult to answer honestly.

The Damned United.

Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

1.This season is coming to a disappointing end. In hindsight and given backing from above which 3 players from any of our Championship rivals would you have signed in the January window if in Gary Monks shoes?

Dunk (Brighton), Mooy (Huddersfield) & Gayle (Newcastle)

2. Which Leeds players past or present have you met?

Harry Kewell in a pub here in Newcastle and although not a player I have met Alan Sutton when we had a get together of the Leeds NSW branch back in 2011, he was our guest speaker for the night.

3. Who do you believe is the biggest threat to World peace of the following?
a) Putin
b) North Korea
c) ISIS
d) Trump

All of the above!

4. What is the biggest sporting attendance you have been part of?

108,000 NRL Grand Final in Sydney between Melbourne Storm vs St George Dragons

5. The season is coming to an end, not much football in the summer, what are your plans?

Luckily I’m a sports lover so I will be watching lots of Aussie Rules Football (I’m a Geelong Cats fan) and NRL (not a huge fan of the sport but I follow Manly)

6. You are going out for a meal locally, tell us about your favourite eating place?

Don’t really have one favourite place but I do like to go up to a place called The Cellar which is at the Hunter Valley Gardens, nice little place I go with my partner, takes about 40 minutes to get there from where I live.

7. With the upcoming election do you think it’s good we have so many parties leading to a chance of a weak split Government or would you prefer something like the American system with only two lots and a clear winner?

Pass, even though I’m still a British Citizen I have no interest on what happens politically in the UK, sorry!

8. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be? - Keep it clean please

Could someone return my hair that would be nice! Also like Rigger I see things Black and White and no shades of grey which annoys people.

9. What is your all-time favourite film with a Sporting theme?

Escape to Victory………………….no I’m kidding! There are very few sporting movies that are even good or average. It’s not an actual movie but a one off serial which went for 7 episodes and was made in Australia, it’s called Bodyline which was naturally about the 1932/33 ashes series and the controversy about Bodyline bowling. It has a mix of English and Aussie actors with Hugo Weaving (an Aussie) playing the superbly evil Douglas Jardine.

10. Name your all-time best Leeds United team (using English players only)?

GK – Nigel Martyn
RB – Paul Reaney
LB – Grenville Hair
CM – Willis Edwards
CD – Jack Charlton
CD – Norman Hunter
RM – James Milner
ST – Allan Clarke
ST – Mick Jones
CM – Tony Currie
LM – Wilf Copping
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:

Piccolo Mondo : http://www.piccolo-mondo.co.uk/
Great little Italian place, very traditional, red and white checked tablecloths, candles in bottles and fantastic food.
The specials board is always amazing, often with seafood fresh from the ships, and they serve the best garlic olives I've ever tasted !
It's tiny so it's best to book in advance. If you're ever in Southampton, I would recommend it above every other place in town.

Sounds very much like the little family run place in Selby we use called the Capri, think the owners are actually Sardinian as a few maps of the island on the walls.
Barlow Boy i'm certain will back me up when I say its very good.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Mr Russell wrote:
5. The season is coming to an end, not much football in the summer, what are your plans?

Luckily I’m a sports lover so I will be watching lots of Aussie Rules Football (I’m a Geelong Cats fan) and NRL (not a huge fan of the sport but I follow Manly)
About 20 years or so ago there was a weekly programme on British TV showing Aussie Rules, Geelong was one of two teams I started following the other been West Coast Eagles.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: More Questions for May - Have a go

Post by NottinghamWhite »

A few more questions for anyone that fancies having a go, its open to all forum members and always a good read.

Dwight Gayle, Johnny Howson & Anthony Knockaert

David Harvey, Paul Reaney, Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter, Peter Lorimer, Allan Clarke, Mick Jones, Eddie Gray, Alan Peacock,Mike O'Grady, Brendan Ormsby, Jermaine Beckford, Johnny Giles, Glynn Snodin, Robert Snodgrass, Gary McAllister, Duncan McKenzie, Mel Sterland, Lee Sharpe,Terry Yorath, Shane Higgs, John McGovern, Kenny Burns, Paul Madeley, Paul Hart, Don Revie

a) Putin
b) North Korea
c) ISIS
d) Trump

Trump

Hampden Park 1970, attendance a British record of 136505

Following my beloved YCCC

Amores in Beeston authentic Italian restaurant serving absolutely delicious food

Sorry don't do politics

Not to be so selfish

Escape to victory

Martyn, Reaney, Cooper, Batty, Charlton, Hunter, Madeley, Currie, McKenzie, Clarke, Jones
Winner of the Europa League
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

1. This season is coming to a disappointing end. In hindsight and given backing from above which 3 players from any of our Championship rivals would you have signed in the January window if in Garry Monk's shoes ?

Tom Cairney, Mooy, Gayle.

Met loads of the past ones for book interviews or helping raise funds for the Don Revie statue. I know Lorimer quite well and am friends with Mike O'Grady. Too many to mention really, what amuses me is that most of them won't remember me even those I've met a few times :D

a) Putin
b) North Korea
c) ISIS
d) Trump
e) Imperialism, nationalism, warmongerism
F) ALL OF THE ABOVE

I would think it's Leeds v Liverpool, Charity Shield 1974 or maybe the 1992 one.

Holiday, big book launch(es) I hope for 'The Gigante', my novel about John Charles in 1957. Plus writing new stuff (this is what I loosely call 'work' :D )

Rarely eat out but the Peacock pub on ER is very decent. I love Indian food but my partner prefers to cook at home rather than dine out. I can't really complain.

I'm not sure a coalition HAS to be a weakened government but I think our system is possibly the fairest. i used to know what I was talking about with proportional representation etc but I've forgotten more than I remember these days. I absolutely detest prejudice of any sort, especially racism/sectarianism, so I try not to get into political arguments as I have plenty of great friends who I admire hugely who will disagree with my politics.

Not sure, there are plenty of things I'd like to change, too many to mention. If anything about me NEEDS changing then I would hope to be wise enough to realize it and to therefore aim at improving myself.

This Sporting Life by a country mile - I understand why some say The Damned United but it's too close to home and too disrespectful to my team/club/greatest ever manager Don Revie for me to take it seriously.

1 Martyn 2 Reaney 3 Cooper 4 Batty 5 Charlton 6 Hunter 7 Madeley 8 Clarke 9 Jones 10 Currie 11 McKenzie Subs: Lukic, Sterland, Dorigo, Chapman, Beckford.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Selby White wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

About 20 years or so ago there was a weekly programme on British TV showing Aussie Rules, Geelong was one of two teams I started following the other been West Coast Eagles.
I expect both to be in the finals series come September, I used to play Gaelic Football at school and as its an off shoot of that game i became hooked on the game. My first game Geelong vs Hawthorn (at Geelong) and i loved it, the atmosphere, the smell of pies wafting over the stadium, sadly Geelong got thumped by 50 points but i was converted. TV never does it justice you miss so much as the action is not always where the ball is, been at the ground is so much better. One of the things that i have not done and really want to do is the Grand Final at the MCG (the other would be an ashes test there, have done Sydney) and be with another 100,000 souls!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

1. This season is coming to a disappointing end. In hindsight and given backing from above which 3 players from any of our Championship rivals would you have signed in the January window if in Gary Monks shoes ? Ritchie, Knockhart, Gayle when fit.

2. Which Leeds players past or present have you met ? None Leeds. I have shaken hands with afew players around the pubs in Blackpool over the years.

a) Putin
b) North Korea
c) ISIS
d) Trump

North Korea. The place scares me. George Orwells 1984 in action.

4. What is the biggest sporting attendance you have been part of ? Leeds & Watford at Cardiff (I cant think of many clubs who could make as much noise as we did that day)

5. The season is coming to an end, not much football in the summer, what are your plans ? Going touring Northern Italy in my mates camper van

6. You are going out for a meal locally, tell us about your favorite eating place ? Nothing fancy there's a couple of good carvery places on the fylde.

7. With the upcoming election do you think its good we have so many parties leading to a chance of a weak split Government or would you prefer something like the American system with only two lots and a clear winner ? I like choice it increases competition and widens the debate.

8. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be ? - keep it clean please . Nothing. I'm imperfect :angel:

9. What is your all time favorite film with a Sporting theme ? Must read questions properly. I enjoyed the quite recent Senna documentary-movie

GK – Nigel Martyn
RB – Danny Mills
LB – Charlie Taylor
CM – Fabian Delph
CD – Jonathon Woodgate
CD – Rio Ferdinand
RM – James Milner
ST – Rod Wallace
ST – Michael Bridges (Shame for the lad)
CM – David Batty
LM – Lee Bowyer

All players I've seen in action.
Last edited by Deleted User 3289 on 03 May 2017, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.