5 for June - have a go

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

5 for June - have a go

Post by Selby White »

1. Which are the best players you've seen play for us that have never had a full international cap ?

2. Have you ever been a victim of football violence ?

3. Are you a collector and of what ? (coins, stamps, footie programmes, eddie stobbart truck names, etc ).

4. Local Carvery - Beef, Pork, Gammon, Turkey or Veggie option ?
and while at it what veggies will be put on your plate ?

5. PIck your all time Leeds Utd team containing only Scottish players ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Re: 5 for June - have a go

Post by Deleted User 728 »

1. Which are the best players you've seen play for us that have never had a full international cap ?
I would say Terry Connor. I just loved his attitude and passion on matchdays - he ran his socks off and never gave less than 100%.
Honourable mentions to David Wetherall who rarely put a foot wrong and also to Johnny Howson who I really believed would one day play for England .. then he joined Norwich :eh:

I've only seen a couple of scuffles inside grounds, back in the late 70s, but have been involved in two incidents outside.
I've never had a fight in my life and have only thrown one punch - during a football game in which I was playing when someone deliberately trod on my hand after we both ended up in a heap on a muddy pitch after a midfield skirmish - so on neither occasion was I anything other than an innocent bystander.
The first was when I was walking home one night after finishing a Wednesday evening shift for Sainsbury's. I must've been 16 or 17 and we lived a couple of hundred yards from the Dell. Saints were playing Oldham in the League Cup and it had gone to extra-time. Two young Oldham fans left early - presumably to get a train as they were heading for the station - and they saw me and ran up and shouted "Who are ya ?!" in my face. I had a Walkman on at the time (orange sponge earphones!) and was probably listening to The Smiths or Everything But The Girl and I didn't hear the question so I pulled them down and said "What ?" and one of them punched me, rather tamely, in the face.
A copper was standing about twenty yards away and I shouted "Aren't you gonna do something ?" at him and he just muttered to himself and turned away. He was obviously waiting for the real action to start once the game was over ..
The second time was much more positive in terms of my interaction with the police.
It was in the FA Cup this time at Fratton Park, a match we won 5-1 despite conceding the first goal. Four of us had gone and every single one of us were dotted about the stadium having scavenged tickets from various sources. None of us were in the away end so we had to grit our teeth and wait for the final whistle before meeting up again outside. Because we lingered for a bit, trying to find each other, we ended up being herded along with the away fans (probably some of you) and soon enough bricks were being hurled at us by the Pompey faithful. Great atmosphere, brilliant support generally, but terrible losers on that day. We were cordoned off for our own protection actually on Fratton Road when an Asian police officer recognised me and asked what the hell I was doing there. I saw him most days as I worked at the university in Southsea and he used to come in with the "Wanted" descriptions - students (and staff) could go and take part in the line-ups at the cop shop (£5 for turning up and a tenner if there actually was a line-up. I went a few times and never got to be in one). I just told him I was walking along the street with my three mates when it all kicked off. He broke the cordon and let us go, telling us to run like hell .. which we did, back to the car parked just up the road :D

3. Are you a collector and of what ? (coins, stamps, footie programmes, eddie stobbart truck names, etc ).
Records, CDs and Subbuteo teams. I use all of them so it's less for looking at and more an active collection.

The one I go to on the edge of the New Forest usually lets you have a couple of meats so I normally go for beef and pork, Yorkies, roast potatoes, peas and carrots, apple sauce and gravy :thumbup:

mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:1. Which are the best players you've seen play for us that have never had a full international cap ?

Can't think of any really. Can think of a few who were given a few grudging caps for England: Smith, Bowyer, Sterland...even Currie

Not really. In the dark days of the early 80's I went to a Leeds 'home' fixture at Odsall stadium (can't remember who against) whilst ER was closed and remember dodging a hail of bricks thrown by Leeds 'fans' at police as things got out of hand at the end of the game. In the 70's went to the Bolton v Newcastle FA Cup replay at ER played on Wednesday afternoon because of the power cuts; as I was just getting back into my Ford Anglia in Beeston three 'locals' accosted me on the basis they thought I was a Newcastle fan. Anyone else remember those games?

Does lots of debt count? :lol: Not actively any more although collecting things was very much the rage when I was growing up in the 50's/60's. So, somewhere, I have coins (British/foreign), stamps, teacards, bubble gum cards. Back then you were a nobody if you didn't collect bus numbers, tube train numbers, and, living near LHR the abundant supply of aircraft registrations. I have a reasonable accumulation of footie programmes. The favourite collection I had was of Fleischmann HO model railways from their 1961 catalogue

Pork first choice, then beef. Have an aversion to gammon rooted in my childhood. Almost any veggie, but the swedes and turnips challenge me

Harvey

McGoldrick, McQueen, F. Gray

Strachan, Lorimer, Bremner, Hopkin, E. Gray

McCormack, Jordan

Very modern 3-5-2!
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

1. Which are the best players you've seen play for us that have never had a full international cap?

I’m struggling to think of anyone and the only name I could think of is Albert Johanneson

2. Have you ever been a victim of football violence?

Bournemouth 1990 was the only time I have seen or being around any real violence, the coach ride into the car park was not one of my fondest memories as bricks and fights with the police were happening in front of our eyes. The walk to the ground was not much better with people coming past us with blood streaming out of them. It was as close as I got to any violence that involves football.

3. Are you a collector and of what? (Coins, stamps, footie programmes, Eddie stobbart truck names, etc ).

Football programs and DVD’s/VHS videos are the main things that I do collect at this time. Used to collect stamps when I was younger.

4. Local Carvery - Beef, Pork, Gammon, Turkey or Veggie option?

Beef or Pork would be my picks with the side of veggies as peas, corn, beans and a jacket potato

5. Pick your all time Leeds Utd team containing only Scottish players?

GK – David Harvey
RB – Jimmy Dunn
LB – Willie Bell
CD – Gordon McQueen
CD – Dominic Matteo
LM – Eddie Gray
CM – Billie Bremner
CM – Bobby Collins
RM – Gordon Strachan
AM – Peter Lorimer
F – Joe Jordan

Subs –
Gary McAllister, Frank Gray, George Meek, Kenny Burns, Neil Sullivan.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Some great answers (and stories) so far, nice to see my favs Pork & Beef up there with others.

Thinking of the Scottish teams feel sorry for Arthur Graham, good player but having Eddie Gray available for selection on the left he just ain't going to get a shout.
Anyone for Dave Stewart in goal, really liked him back in the day.

Mapperley,
Was also at the Newcastle v Bolton replay. Can't remember the Odsal neutral ground match but remember in the early 70's us having to play our 4 opening games on neutral turf following the Ray Tinkler WBA riot, was at Hull for one and Wednesday for another but missed the other two which were at Hudders I believe.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:Some great answers (and stories) so far, nice to see my favs Pork & Beef up there with others.

Thinking of the Scottish teams feel sorry for Arthur Graham, good player but having Eddie Gray available for selection on the left he just ain't going to get a shout.

Mapperley,
Was also at the Newcastle v Bolton replay. Can't remember the Odsal neutral ground match but remember in the early 70's us having to play our 4 opening games on neutral turf following the Ray Tinkler WBA riot, was at Hull for one and Wednesday for another but missed the other two which were at Hudders I believe.
I made a mess of the Scottish team, forgetting Gary Mac - how could I??

The Newcastle Bolton game was played on a Wednesday afternoon - must have been 1974 - as a consequence of the power cuts caused by the miner's strike meaning no floodlights were guaranteed. I was a student then and HAD NO LECTURES or practicals on a Wednesday afternoon. Have the programme in my collection :D

The Odsal game was, I think, as a result of ER being closed after someone on the kop threw a ball bearing at Kevin Keagan as he went to take a corner and hit him in the head. Unusually, I was on the kop that day and saw the incident first hand. If I had to guess the Odsal game was against Charlton.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

mapperleywhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:Some great answers (and stories) so far, nice to see my favs Pork & Beef up there with others.

Mapperley,

The Newcastle Bolton game was played on a Wednesday afternoon - must have been 1974 - as a consequence of the power cuts caused by the miner's strike meaning no floodlights were guaranteed. I was a student then and HAD NO LECTURES or practicals on a Wednesday afternoon. Have the programme in my collection :D

The Odsal game was, I think, as a result of ER being closed after someone on the kop threw a ball bearing at Kevin Keagan as he went to take a corner and hit him in the head. Unusually, I was on the kop that day and saw the incident first hand. If I had to guess the Odsal game was against Charlton.
I can only find the 70's for when Elland Road was closed and we have only played at Odsal once when in the 1985/86 season Bradford had to play there due to the fire they suffered the season before, it was where the famous chip van was set on fire. The Keegan incident was in the 1982/83 season and the Kop was closed for 2 games in that season (QPR and Shrewsbury Town).
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

Mr Russell wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:

Mapperley,

I can only find the 70's for when Elland Road was closed and we have only played at Odsal once when in the 1985/86 season Bradford had to play there due to the fire they suffered the season before, it was where the famous chip van was set on fire. The Keegan incident was in the 1982/83 season and the Kop was closed for 2 games in that season (QPR and Shrewsbury Town).
Thanks Mr R. Great work pinning down the Keegan incident. I remember well the chip van, we were standing only a few metres away and, yes, it was a home game for Bradford City!
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

1. Jim Milburn

2. Only when playing. Yorkshire League 1950's.

3. Coins when I was young. Still got the residue of the collection - don't know what happened to the rest!

4. Beef (though I do like lamb too) with Cauli, sprouts, peas and roast potato's obviously.

5. Pretty much agree with Mr. Russell except I would have Gary Mac in instead of Matteo.
I once played against Don Revie.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

1 Mick Bates though a few honorable mentions for players like Mervyn Day, Neil McNab (loanee), Mickey Gray at left-back, and did Chapman get an England cap?

2 Yes, been a victim near enough but not at all an interesting story. Also self-victimised by accidentally nutting a girder at St Andrews during the riot 11 May 1985, same day as the Bradford fire of course.

3 I collect old LU memorabilia, badges, posters, pennants, programmes (less so as I've inherited 100s anyway), anything really, primarily from the Revie Era.

4 Beef, please. I wish we could avoid food questions, I'm on a diet :P

5 Mr Russell, big respect for mentioning Jimmy Dunn! Snodgrass would be on the bench for me too.

I also went to the NU v BW replay, was it really an afternoon kick-off? Must have forgotten that. I went to a couple of other replays at ER as well as the 79 FA Cup semi final.