Memories

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
marziale
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: Memories

Post by marziale »

I was not at the 1972 Southampton match but remember that the Saints could just not get hold of the ball for most of the match (must have seen it on tv??). And the fans kept calling Hol'e every time we touched the ball. Sublime passing from the best side ever.
johnnysmiles
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by johnnysmiles »

As a cockney white, many of my "I was there" memories are London matches.... so here's my top 5:

1. Away at Chelsea 1997: Down to 9 men before half time as Haaland and Kelly sent off.... 0-0 at full time... felt like a win!
2. Away at Crystal Palace 1998: Thomas Brolin played even worse for Palace than he had done for us... hilarious...
3. Away to QPR 1983: QPR scored towards the end of the game meaning promotion was confirmed for them and denied to us. Qpr fans started singing "We're going up and you're not". Me and my dad were practically the only ones left in our section of the away end as everyone else piled over into the QPR fans...
4. West Ham V Leeds 2002: 4-0 up at half time and Leeds fans singing "Celebrate Good Times Come on!" West Ham scored 3 times in the second half to set up a nervy finish... 16 year-old James Milner made his debut as a sub
5. Arsenal Away 1994: 3-1 to Leeds, Masinga scored for Leeds... Radebe was playing as well... apparently only signed to keep Masinga company...
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnnysmiles wrote:
1. Away at Chelsea 1997: Down to 9 men before half time as Haaland and Kelly sent off.... 0-0 at full time... felt like a win!
If i remember we broke from defence late on and almost stole it, Bruno Ribeiro if i remember almost scored with a 30 yarder.

Michael Duberry & Denis Wise in the Chelsea team I believe.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnnysmiles
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by johnnysmiles »

Found it on YouTube!

If it was this season, there'd have been more than 2 sent off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa-3jwv2aJk