Memories

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Memories

Post by Selby White »

Ok a new style Leeds Utd based topic for members to tell us about ?

I'll put up 5 memory matches from our history, you pick one and tell us your memories of that day ?

1. Leeds "7" Southampton "0" - 3rd March 1972 (best football ever ?)

2. Leeds "2" Barcelona "1" - 19th April 1975 (Semi 1st leg)

3. Leeds "1" Liverpool "0" - 21st August 1995 (Yeboah)

4. Leeds "4" Derby "3" - 8th Nov 1997 - (3-0 down)

5. Leeds "2" Bristol Rovers "1" - 8th May 2010 - (Promotion)

Look forward to reading :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Re: Memories

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Selby White wrote:
Not so much that day - I was 5 years old at the time - but for about a year I had a line from the commentary as the outgoing message on my answerphone (remember them ?)
It was the bit where he says "To say that Leeds are toying with Southampton is perhaps the understatement of the season !"
I think it was David Coleman, wasn't it ??

Whoever it was, I used to regularly get abusive messages from Saints-supporting friends down here who'd called me to go out or for a chat and just got really angry, really quickly instead :lol:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Not so much that day - I was 5 years old at the time - but for about a year I had a line from the commentary as the outgoing message on my answerphone (remember them ?)
It was the bit where he says "To say that Leeds are toying with Southampton is perhaps the understatement of the season !"

Whoever it was, I used to regularly get abusive messages from Saints-supporting friends down here who'd called me to go out or for a chat and just got really angry, really quickly instead :lol:
Nice One :thumbup:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I wasn't at the Derby match as had been working, on way home called to see my Dad who usually listened on radio Leeds.

Asked why he didn't have the match on to be told "Getting bloody hammered, it'll be a cricket score".

We were both very happy when I switched back on to hear our third goal go in, it was then a case of been glued to the Radio for the rest of the match.
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

rigger wrote:
Selby White wrote:

Barry Davies I believe Riggs, I was only 7 myself but I have the highlights recorded, great commentary - "The gap between Leeds and Southampton is an almighty chasm" ....
Deleted User 728

Thanks, Em - I knew it was one of the more histrionic voices on the Beeb :)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

1. 1972 FA Cup final
2. 1972 Leeds 7 Southampton 0 ( total football)
3. 1969 Liverpool 0 Leeds 0 ( champions )
4. 1972 Leeds 5 Scum 1
5. 2010 Leeds 2 Bristol Rovers 1

Those are games that stick out in my memory however there was...

1. 1972 Wolves 2 Leeds 1
2. 1971 Leeds 1 WBA 2
3. 2008 Histon 1 Leeds 0
4. 2006 Watford 3 Leeds 0
5. 2012 Leeds 3 Forest 7
6. 1973 Sunderland 1 Leeds 0
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

I was at the Histon game and it was horrible.
Really sums up the last fifteen years, that day .. though my gf was excited because she saw me on TV and called me at half-time to tell me so !

There was a 4-0 on a Tuesday night at Saints and obviously the 3-4 comeback win at St.Mary's too that really stand out for me.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Amazingly I still have my Histon ticket which basically was a piece of paper & what's more surprising is its in mint condition despite me getting soaked to the skin. We stopped off in a pub in Godmanchester there was 3 Leeds coaches plus our mini bus. As it was raining he allowed smokers to have a ciggie in the bar. He did admit he'd never taken so much behind the bar ever :D then came the game :cry:
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

1962 Leeds United 2 Chelsea 0 (Johanneson 2) I was 24. Can't remember why I wasn't playing that day, it was a Saturday afternoon. We played most of the game with 10 men. Smith broke his leg in the first-half, no subs then. He also had his name taken (yellow cards were something in the future) for the tackle he made which broke his leg.
I once played against Don Revie.