LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Only You

Post by NottinghamWhite »

This is the castle.

Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I wonder how many movies and TV shows have been filmed there ??
Or if not, how many offers they've turned down ..?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

rigger wrote:I wonder how many movies and TV shows have been filmed there ??
Or if not, how many offers they've turned down ..?

It's owned & run by a government quango Scottish National Heritage don't suppose for one minute that's their name these days. About 5 years ago the castle got into the last three of a TV programme where the winner got so much money to spend on restoration work, sadly the castle didn't win.

Another story from my time there was that we received a booking from RAF Kinross to take over the hostel as they were going to do some training on the island. Jim the senior officer invited me to join them on one of the days & we took to sea in a high powered boat & had a truly memorable day zipping along the waves at high speed.
That night I joined them for dinner in The Bistro & a lot of booze was on offer as they had brought cases of wine & whiskey with them. One of the guys was really strange sticking pencils up his & repeating wibble wibble. I mentioned Paddys strange behaviour to Jim. His response was it was no problems due the fact was mentally ill & would take time to get better but he would always be in his squad. My face must have given me away because Jim told me that Paddy was one of the first rescuers at Lockerbie & was so driven in his work he went days without rest or sleep in the process seeing decapitated children & the likes, as Jim said enough to drive any man mad. My response was to go to my office & return sit next to Paddy stuck pencils up my nostrils & say wibble & put my arms around Paddy when we just sat there & giggled like kids. Jim sat there with a huge smile on his face raised his dram & said to the team Phil, wibble.
No word of a lie I cried making this post such was the immense humility you feel when you are in the company of a real life HERO. Wibble ;)

I'll dig a couple of photos out from this day later.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Great read keep them coming please.
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Deebo »

Same Chilwell White! Really enjoyed reading all of these! I'll try and add in coming days when I get a spare moment....
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Today's post..

One of jobs as manager was to do castle tours this meant I had learn as much about the Bullough family as I could in quick time. Once a week the Hebridean Princess would visit this ex Caledonian McBrayne ferry was now a luxury cruiser & even back then you'd get no change from £2000 per person for a weeks cruise. When the last cruise of the season was scheduled I received a phone from Alistar the Princesses captain inviting Sue & I onboard for lunch which I accepted. I start the tour of the castle with a lot of cruisers in tow but one particular gent stuck to me like glue. He kept mentioning the carpentry, masonry & the plumbing with great enthusiasm. At the end of the tour he stood chatting to me & I happened to suggest he obviously had a keen interest in DIY to which he smiled & nodded.
The cruisers went on to finish their itinerary & we made our way to a waiting 'rib' which sped us off to the ship. Here we met the captain who personally gave us the grand tour of the ship finishing up in the very opulent bar. Drinks were served & Alistar said 2 other people would be joining us at the captains table. Suddenly my DIY buddy appeared him & his wife were the other guests ne walked up to us offering his hand & he said he was pleased to see me again. The captain stepped over & said did we know each other I said we had met on the tour, then allow me to introduce you Phil this is Sir Edward McAline, I'd thought he was a DaiY enthusiast, we both had a really good laugh about my stupid person up.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Went on honeymoon to Ayia Napa in Jan 1985, the main street was about 100 yards long from the harbour with a handful of "shops" We used to walk the 2 miles from the harbour along a windy path through orange groves to Nissi Beach everyday. The most people we ever saw on the beach were 4 other couples. Friends were going to Ayia Napa 5 years later and we told them of the lovely walk. When they got back they told us there were no orange grooves just new concrete building or ones being built. Sad.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Had some tiny scrapes to my cheek when a bullet hit the wall I was standing beside an inch from my head....long story.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders