What do you Spend/waste money on ?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members

What do you Spend/waste money on ?

Postby Selby White » 25 Mar 2018, 10:48

Interesting topic from another thread raises the question of what (other than following Leeds) do you spend your hard earned on ?

Obviously to all of us its money well spent on a hobby or interest while to others it's wasted.

Wasn't it George Best that said "I spent most of my money on women and booze, the rest I just wasted".
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
User avatar
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 12255
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 11:32

Re: What do you Spend/waste money on ?

Postby rigger » 25 Mar 2018, 11:23

Good thread this :)

- I have a large record collection (about 1,500 LPs and another 1,500 CDs)

- I have a glorious hi-fi in my living room, a surround system for the TV in that room, another surround system for the TV in the bedroom, another hi-fi for my desktop PC and another in the kitchen (DAB throughout the house)

- I have a large collection of Subbuteo (two astropitch boards plus well over 100 teams)


The hi-fi is the thing, really.
I'll break it down :
Linn LP12 turntable, Ittok arm, Asak cartridge
2 x Meridian mono-block power amps
Musical Fidelity Phono pre-amp
Tisbury passive pre-amp
Sony CDP
SMSL DAC
Pure DAB tuner
Belkin bluetooth streamer
Linn Kan II speakers on Kan stands
Grado headphones

Total value ? To replace with brand new equipment, the turntable set-up alone would be £2k, the power amps close to another grand, the speakers another grand and everything else around about £800 so I guess c.£5k.

The record collection ? Christ knows, but probably around £10k as a conservative estimate.
The Subbuteo would be worth £2.5-3k if I sold it all.


I like clothes but tend to wear classic stuff rather than following fashion and I don't buy much of anything these days, apart from socks and underwear.
Cars I really am not fussed about. I buy a reliable, used vehicle every three years or so, I guess. The most I've ever spent was £1800 on a Jeep Cherokee that I adored and it lasted me four years before conking out. I looked at one again recently before remembering how thirsty it was and that the economical version is a diesel and decided against buying another one, even though I really miss it. I have a ten year old Primera that's like a tank.
I've got lots of books, but tend to buy second-hand or on Kindle these days.

Other than that, I spent £2k on a new kitchen - an absolute bargain by today's standards as my mate (a builder) did it for me for cost as I made him a website at the same time. Took six weeks, mind, as he was working on other projects. That's a long time eating take-out or microwave stuff :wtf:

I could really do with a new bathroom but haven't got the dosh at the moment.
Well, not if I want to go to South Africa later this year, I haven't ..

One thing I don't spend so much on is going out.
I never pay for the cinema other than an unlimited membership with a monthly fee of £17.
I no longer drink so if I go "out out" I'll drink bottled water and drive, so it's rarely more than a tenner unless I buy a big round, which isn't very often as I'll typically pick people up and/or take them home, saving money on taxis.

I don't need a barber :D

... and I'm single !!
... without kids !!

I think the last two have saved me a lot of money (stress, hassle, time) over the years ;)
User avatar
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 14680
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 17:35

Re: What do you Spend/waste money on ?

Postby Davycc » 25 Mar 2018, 11:43

Well I broke out and joined a wine club, I do love a nice bottle of red. Her indoors wanted a new kitchen last year (it was needed mind) the only stipulation I had was it had to include a wine cooler. So may sound bad but wine is one of my biggest indulgences.

I also have just upgraded to a bigger marine aquarium, though by no means massive it's only a 55 gallon but it's all space would allow. It's an expensive hobby with the obvious cost of fish, corals equipment etc but also the added lecky bill for heaters, lights, pumps filters etc and can get even more expensive if things go wrong. Other than that a small footie bet during the week and at weekends, which I do ok out of thats about it really. Don't smoke don't eat out a lot.

Have been paying for a costly divorce for 15 years but am getting ready to adjust my eyes to the bright light thats approaching from the end of the tunnel come November this year, so may start actually having a few more holidays and trips away with the good lady (who has been wonderful through out it all).
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
User avatar
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 11710
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 18:09
Location: Under a thumb

Re: What do you Spend/waste money on ?

Postby rigger » 25 Mar 2018, 13:24

I used to keep tropical tanks, Davy.
Marine's a lot of hassle isn't it, let alone the expense ?

Divorce ?
For me it was paying off the mortgage :)

Same thing really, only you get a bit more for your money with one, don't you ? ;)
User avatar
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 14680
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 17:35

Re: What do you Spend/waste money on ?

Postby Davycc » 25 Mar 2018, 14:02

rigger wrote:I used to keep tropical tanks, Davy.
Marine's a lot of hassle isn't it, let alone the expense ?

Divorce ?
For me it was paying off the mortgage :)

Same thing really, only you get a bit more for your money with one, don't you ? ;)


Rigger mate you are so right re the mortgage etc :clap: :clap: :clap:

I had tropical fish from when I was 15, first fish were Kribensis lol bred like heck. Took the the plunge 2 years ago into marine when a friend of Tracey said her dad had passed and his mother just wanted rid of the fish, gave my fresh water fish to a mate jerry rigged my tank up for marine and dived in so to speak. Yes theres a little more to it but it's not as hard as made out to be. If you liked the fresh water set up you'd love marine.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
User avatar
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 11710
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 18:09
Location: Under a thumb

Re: What do you Spend/waste money on ?

Postby rigger » 25 Mar 2018, 14:07

I know, but they were a worry if I went away anywhere for a while.
I don't like those week/fortnightly feeding tablet thingies - I just don't trust them, and living on my own I can't really have any pets for that same reason.

I went from four tanks down to one and finally let that one go after a plec I had passed on.
It had started in the smallest tank and grown as I moved him from year to year to the biggest (4') tank and was about 12" long by the time he died.
I was gonna give him to a friend as the World Cup in 2010 was approaching and I knew I'd be out of the country for months, so it was bittersweet when he finally went.

I didn't fancy trying to move the bugger - the spines on his back were like a porcupine's :wtf:
User avatar
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 14680
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 17:35

Re: What do you Spend/waste money on ?

Postby Davycc » 25 Mar 2018, 14:15

rigger wrote:I know, but they were a worry if I went away anywhere for a while.
I don't like those week/fortnightly feeding tablet thingies - I just don't trust them, and living on my own I can't really have any pets for that same reason.

I went from four tanks down to one and finally let that one go after a plec I had passed on.
It had started in the smallest tank and grown as I moved him from year to year to the biggest (4') tank and was about 12" long by the time he died.
I was gonna give him to a friend as the World Cup in 2010 was approaching and I knew I'd be out of the country for months, so it was bittersweet when he finally went.

I didn't fancy trying to move the bugger - the spines on his back were like a porcupine's :wtf:


Pleco's .......such an ugly fish lol but do have personalities.

I know the feeling, when we went away 2 years ago we had T's dad lined up for dog duty, her sister for Cunure duty (Chiquita is very person fussy and her husband looked after the fish. Tracey has now also acquired a cat so another volunteer will be needed if we re ever to get away lol
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
User avatar
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 11710
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 18:09
Location: Under a thumb

Re: What do you Spend/waste money on ?

Postby Selby White » 25 Mar 2018, 14:46

We try to spend something on the house each year, 2018 it was a new Garage and replace some French Windows.

Still need to get the drive done but think a new Bathroom is priority (its been on the waiting list for as long as I can mention).

As most will gather Travel is my main passion and always been interested in visiting different places. Started travelling more than one holiday per year in 2005 when my overheads decreased (mortgage paid).
In 2008 I took early retirement aged 50 from my main job much with the help of a decent redundancy payout and early pension. Of course that that gave me much more time for my trips.

Sadly late 2009 i lost my partner leaving me single (but realising life is too short to not follow your dreams), i didn't do much for a year then decided to travel a bit solo. Had a couple of 1 year relationships and carried on travelling either solo or with the gf of the time.
Happy bit I met my ideal women 3 years ago, she loves travel as much as me, we moved in together and plan to keep doing around 5 holidays per year for as long as we can. So far this year its been Spain (January), America (just back) and have Canada, Ireland and China planned.
A lot we plan and do ourselves (except China, that's with a tour company) it saves a few pennies.

So basically we spend a fortune on holidays, love every minute of them though.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
User avatar
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 12255
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 11:32

Re: What do you Spend/waste money on ?

Postby Davycc » 25 Mar 2018, 15:00

Selby White wrote:We try to spend something on the house each year, 2018 it was a new Garage and replace some French Windows.

Still need to get the drive done but think a new Bathroom is priority (its been on the waiting list for as long as I can mention).

As most will gather Travel is my main passion and always been interested in visiting different places. Started travelling more than one holiday per year in 2005 when my overheads decreased (mortgage paid).
In 2008 I took early retirement aged 50 from my main job much with the help of a decent redundancy payout and early pension. Of course that that gave me much more time for my trips.

Sadly late 2009 i lost my partner leaving me single (but realising life is too short to not follow your dreams), i didn't do much for a year then decided to travel a bit solo. Had a couple of 1 year relationships and carried on travelling either solo or with the gf of the time.
Happy bit I met my ideal women 3 years ago, she loves travel as much as me, we moved in together and plan to keep doing around 5 holidays per year for as long as we can. So far this year its been Spain (January), America (just back) and have Canada, Ireland and China planned.
A lot we plan and do ourselves (except China, that's with a tour company) it saves a few pennies.
So basically we spend a fortune on holidays, love every minute of them though.


Best part of all that is meeting the right person SW :thumbup: I moved in with her indoors when I couldn't give a penny towards keep. She kept me, I did every job possible around the house for her to try to pay my way but in reality she saved me. Means a lot to do the things you like with someone you love even if its only catching up on TV,
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
User avatar
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 11710
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 18:09
Location: Under a thumb

Re: What do you Spend/waste money on ?

Postby Selby White » 25 Mar 2018, 15:17

Continued from my previous post :-

My other big spend is I play on the national tournament circuit table tennis (veterans - over 40's), which results in a weekend away about once per month. We make a long weekend of it adding a couple of nights on and trying to do a walk or visit a city on the way home.
I've been competing in two age groups over 40's & over 50's but have a new lease of life as recently reached another milestone and my next event "western masters" at Bristol i'll be competing in the over 60's.
When you reach a new age range in veterans gives you a chance to be more competitive, i'm still ambitious and my target is to make the Yorkshire first team (yes they have over 60 county championships) and get in top 30 players in the country. Big ask but not impossible.

Other interests is walking but not really that expensive once you've got the gear, bit of fuel in the car and off we go to the Dales or Moors a couple of times oer week.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
User avatar
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 12255
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 11:32

Next

Return to Members interviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests